Not really a soundtrack in the strictest sense, this is – like Namco Classics Collection before it – a collection of remixes of background music as heard in Namco’s 3-D update of the classic Xevious arcade game. In many cases, you won’t hear any correlation whatsoever to the music that’s heard in the game – it’s been reworked that much.
Sometimes, as in the mesmerizing “Area 1: MLO Deep Pan Mix”, this is just fine. There are quite a few tracks on here which have an almost hypnotic effect – overall, pretty good standard-issue trance. But the lead track, “Area 7: Happy-Go-Lucky Mix”, is worthy of skipping every time – it sounds like it’s trying to find a whimsical tone, and it winds up being more annoying than anything.
It may have precious little to do with Xevious, but it’s not a bad listen in and of itself.
- Area 7: Happy-Go Lucky Mix mixed by SPAG (6:04)
- Area 4: Liquid Groove Mix mixed by SPAG (6:15)
- Boss 4: NP Mix mixed by SPAG (4:35)
- Area 1: MLO Deep Pan Mix remixed by MLO (8:43)
- Boss 7: Berserker’s Fat Beat Mix remixed by Berserker (6:38)
- Ending Movie: The Wax Head Mix remixed by The Hypnotist (7:57)
- Opening Movie: Dub Struck remixed by The Hypnotist (8:37)
- Area 5: Overhead Noise Mix remixed by Overhead Noise (17:20)
- Untitled Hidden Track #1 (6:14)
- Untitled Hidden Track #2 (4:27)
Released by: Pony Canyon
Release date: 1999
Total running time: 76:52