Though a bit pricey, this is a nice compilation of the early 60s stock library music used to track the pivotal Doctor Who four-parter, The Tenth Planet. And the timing is no accident – this CD hit the shelves in Great Britain hot on the heels of the much-anticipated video release of the same name.
My biggest complaint about Tenth Planet is its length-to-cost ratio. Not even twenty minutes long, the CD costs just over ten pounds (roughly equivalent to $15 US). The real incentive in this CD is the rarity of the material. This music has previously been released on such past barely-legit CD releases as Music From Tomb Of The Cybermen and Space Adventures, both of which, like this one, were limited releases, and now sell for ridiculous amounts on online auction sites.
The remastering on these library tracks is fairly good, bearing in mind that the oldest of this material is four decades old, several years older than the show in which they were re-used! Space Adventures parts 1 and 2 were used not only as the “theme” for the Cybermen during their reign of terror in the 60s, but was also the stock music used in many a moment of danger for the Doctor and friends during that era (including, among others, The Web Of Fear). It’s sort of like the fight music from Star Trek’s Amok Time episode – it was used for everything in those episodes where original music was not commissioned. There’s also a certain Carl Stalling-ish quality to this material as well.
I’d advise you to get your hands on this one before it becomes the next Space Adventures – in other words, before it becomes high-priced eBay bait. The music may not be to everyone’s taste, but this may be the last chance Doctor Who music completists have to get a hold of it. After years of seeing Space Adventures sell for huge amounts of money, I was happy to pay only $15 to get this.
- Blast Off! by Roger Roger (2:24)
- Music For Technology by Walter Stott (1:35)
- Power Drill by Douglas Gamley (1:15)
- Space Adventure Part 1 by Martin Slavin (0:41)
- Space Adventure Part 2 by Martin Slavin (1:25)
- Space Adventure Part 3 by Martin Slavin (0:17)
- Drama In Miniature Part 1 by Dennis Farnon (1:31)
- Drama In Miniature Part 2 by Dennis Farnon (1:10)
- Machine Room by Douglas Gamley (3:02)
- Drumdramatics 7 by Robert Farnon (2:33)
- Drumdramatics 10 by Robert Farnon (3:08)
Released by: Ochre Records
Release date: 2000
Total running time: 19:01