It’s that time of the year again: theLogBook.com’s bills are coming due for domain renewal and the site’s not-inconsiderable slice of server space. This year, that coincides with a extended “gap” in the webmaster’s employment status (which will be ending soon, but not soon enough), so we’re going to try a little experiment here.
For years, theLogBook.com has been the home of a lot of free media: the site itself, with 25+ years worth of articles and information, the free e-zines, the podcasts… and in recent years it’s become home base for the webmaster’s endeavours to make a buck off of material derived from some of that content (DVDs, books, and so on). The site is really important, at least to me. This is a challenge to see if it’s important to everyone else reading it.
As with your typical crowdfunding, I decided that there should be something in it for you. Actually, that’s always been my take on it; in the past the site has relied on commission through sales on Amazon.com and its affiliates, though recent years and the ubiquity of iTunes have seen that particular source of revenue drop from “keeping the lights on” to “barely a trickle”. So I’m going to try a more direct approach.
How much you want to throw at the site’s upkeep is entirely up to you. This is not a “subscription”, just a one-time-only donation. Can you get something out of it? Oh yes. A quick rundown of what’s available:
- VWORP!1 Second Edition – over 400 pages chronicling Doctor Who from 1963 through 2011, cross-referencing the original and modern series; available in print or as an ebook, retail price for print $20.00
- VWORP!2 – over 500 pages continuing the Doctor Who guide through 2012 and 2013, and exhaustive guides to the Big Finish main range audio plays, TV spinoffs Torchwood, K-9 and The Sarah Jane Adventures; available in print or as an ebook, retail price for print $25.00
- WARP!1 – to be completed and released in or before July: 500+ pages reassessing the original Star Trek, the animated series and movies, The Next Generation, and Trek creator Gene Roddenberry’s 1970s pilot projects and his pre-Trek series The Lieutenant. Formatted similarly to, and cross-referenced with, the VWORP! series. Will be available in print or ebook; retail price for print $25.00
- Phosphor Dot Fossils – a six-hour video crash course in the early history of video games, containing footage from dozens of pivotal, popular and obscure arcade, console, and computer games. Previously available as a 2-DVD set, now download only. Retail price $15.00
- Best of CGE – several hours’ worth of downloadable videos (previously available only on DVD), chronicling the early days of the video game industry through the stories of the people who made that industry happen. Retail price on DVD was previously $30+ per volume.
- Bonus! The Trading Card – theLogBook.com’s webmaster was honored in 2015 with a trading card in Walter Day’s “Superstars of Video Gaming” card series, specifically for the above mentioned early work in producing video game-related documentaries. I’ll throw one of these in as a freebie for any donations with physical perks (books, etc.), signed if you like. A more “formal” signing for these will happen locally at a later date; if you’re further afield, this is your chance to get one signed!
The “tiers” of goodies you can get for certain levels of donations are as follows, and here’s the thing: they’re only good through the end of June. After that, this page vanishes, and the only way to get the ebooks and videos is through theLogBook.com Store once more.
- $10 – this donation level gets you one ebook of your choice (VWORP!1, VWORP!2, WARP!1 upon completion in July) and access to the Phosphor Dot Fossils video downloads.
- $25 – this donation level gets you all three ebooks (VWORP!1, VWORP!2, WARP!1 upon completion in July) and access to the Phosphor Dot Fossils video downloads.
- $40 – all three ebooks (VWORP!1, VWORP!2, WARP!1 upon completion in July), access to all of the Phosphor Dot Fossils and Best of CGE videos.
- $50 – one signed print book of your choice (VWORP!1, VWORP!2, WARP!1 upon completion in July), immediate access to the ebook of the same title, plus access to all of the Phosphor Dot Fossils and Best of CGE videos. I’ll also throw in a trading card (signed or not, your choice). Outside North America, please add an additional $10 for shipping the book – yes, they’re all that heavy.
- $120 – one signed copy of each book in print (VWORP!1, VWORP!2, WARP!1 upon completion in July), immediate access to ebooks of the same titles, access to all of the Phosphor Dot Fossils and Best of CGE videos, and I’ll throw in a trading card (signed or not, your choice). Outside North America, please add an additional $25 for book shipping.
These offers are good through the end of June 2015, and will be closed after that time.
Proceeds go to the site’s upkeep and necessary shipping/ordering costs for your goodies, but they also go to keeping food in the car and gas in the cats and kids – basically, you’ve got a direct stake in keeping the lights on around here. But your donations also have other intangible benefits: the site stays open, the ‘zines and podcasts and Kasatochi chiptune downloads keep happening (free to everyone, as always), and we keep trying to make the universe a happier and geekier place, as it should be. This also helps to fund the site’s presence at conventions across the Arkansas/Oklahoma area, bringing all of the site’s creative projects to the uninitiated.
Donations can be directed to the Paypal account firstname.lastname@example.org (ironic, as I just don’t do eBay anymore); use of the “gift” payment option would be preferable, but I leave that to you, your conscience and your mouse button trigger finger. Please allow 48 hours for the download links to arrive in your inbox, as I’m currently in the process of onboarding for a new job, as well as daily daddy duties.
What say you, LogBookers? What’s it all worth to you?