The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Doctor Who Audio The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Wow, a real trip back in time – to the New Adventures novels of the ’90s. Though I wonder how we get the Doctor and Ace going to reunited with Benny when, in fact, Ace left the TARDIS before Benny did. [LINK]

Doctor Who: The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield sees Benny reunited with the Doctor. He’s come looking for her, as he has a very important assignment for everyone’s favourite time-hopping archaeologist.

“Benny is one of my favourite companions. The Seventh Doctor, Benny and Ace were a wonderful TARDIS team – and there had to be a pretty big reason to reunite them,” explains producer James Goss. “Something’s happened, something that’s very important to the Doctor, to Benny and Ace. And Benny, who already has plenty on her plate, finds herself having to make some tough choices. If you’ve ever wondered who Benny is and why people go all misty-eyed at the mention of her, then this box set is the perfect chance to find out.”

As well as the brilliant Lisa Bowerman as Benny, director Scott Handcock has assembled an impressive cast, including John Finnemore (Cabin Pressure, Miranda), Matt Gravelle (Broadchurch), Miles Jupp (Rev, Balamory), Colin McFarlane (The Dark Knight, Torchwood and The Voice of The Cube) and Sheila Reid (Doctor Who, Benidorm).

Doctor Who: The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield will be released in June 2014, although Benny’s adventures with the Seventh Doctor don’t stop there

But wait! There’s more!

October sees Big Finish release a full-cast adaptation of Gareth Roberts’ classic Virgin New Adventure, The Highest Science.

For producer Cavan Scott, there was really only one choice when it came to following Big Finish’s previous venture into Virgin territory. “When 2012’s Love and War proved to be such a success, our attention naturally turned to The Highest Science,” Scott reveals. “The original novel was an instant classic, thanks to its surreal mix of temporal disturbances, warmongering commuters and murderous cybernetic tortoises. Jacqueline Rayner has done a wonderful job adapting Gareth’s wonderfully insane adventure for audio, taking Benny back to her roots.”

Originally published in 1993, Gareth Roberts’ debut novel was only Benny’s third outing as a companion and introduced the New Adventures’ most iconic monsters as the fearsome Chelonians marched on the legendary planet of Sakkrat.

With a cast that includes Sinead Keenan (Doctor Who, Being Human), Daniel Brocklebank (Shakespeare in Love, The Hole), James Baxter (Still Open All Hours) and Tom Bell (Wizard vs Aliens), The Highest Science will be released in December 2014.

I’m not completely sure how I feel about all of this dipping into the Virgin Books well this year. We’re getting three Gareth Roberts fourth Doctor books adapted for audio with Tom Baker and Lalla Ward, we’ve already had Love & War (which was a dandy listen), and now we’ve got The Highest Science on tap (also Gareth Roberts). Part of me is cool with the idea of introducing a new audience to the material, especially since the overblown “sex & swearing” reputation of the NAs are keeping them off the table for even the vaguest of discussions about official reprints. I’d much rather have “new” New Adventures that exist in audio only (like the above mentioned box set), sort of like Company Of Friends, which had original audio stories for Paul McGann’s companions from the novels and comics.

Then again, I pretty much made a house payment a few years ago when I sold my well-worn paperbacks of Lungbarrow and The Dying Days, so maybe there’s a case to be made for making the material again to the masses rather than the uber-collectors.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.