The Escape Pod is ready to depart

Hailing frequencies open… Forums theLogBook.com Podcasts The Escape Pod is ready to depart

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

The timeline format with the constantly-running CRON job plugin (which looks back to the oldest entry every night at midnight and then changes that date to 2016, thus bringing it up to the top) is working beautifully. I’m trying to get in touch with KentoThemes to get the paid version of the timeline plugin so I can have more granular control over the look of it (i.e. not every single podcast needs to display my “EG” avatar…really…it doesn’t).

I’m writing, and will soon be recording, a round of 134 (!!) “refreshes” for the Escape Pod, something that hasn’t been done in a year. As is becoming standard policy on refreshes, anytime I re-edit an older episode that uses some soundtrack or other, I replace the music with some Kasatochi, with an eye toward eventually trying to get the Escape Pod on iTunes. (Maybe. If I can ever get that to work.)

Out of those 134 refreshes…so. many. obituaries. Damn, but this is going to be depressing.

For a podcast that’s “finished”…this one never really is. I’m strongly considering doing a 365-day calendar of the Escape Pod scripts in book form for 2017. No music/copyright issues…and the material’s already written.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

What would the Escape Pod look like as a video podcast? Funny you should ask. Here’s a very rough edit.

Whether or not this gets taken beyond the concept-test stage…I really don’t know.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

As you may or may not know… the Escape Pod refreshes (and the self-renewing daily feed) came to an end in early October, partly because I was going to need all of my time and energy to move, but also… because of this.

This is a new Roddenberry podcast…and it starts the first Monday of 2021. It has inherited a lot of Escape Pod DNA, but…it is not the same format as the Escape Pod. I’m writing two of them a week, and voicing one of them a week (though, since there are four hosts for a five-day-a-week show, we will go through a rotation where one of us will host twice a week), as well as doing roughly half of the editing/production.

k8trackk8track
    Participant

Hot dog! Looking forward to checking it out!

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Here goes nothing – episode 1, written by me. I also wrote tomorrow’s show.

k8trackk8track
    Participant

Just listened, great stuff! I was so happy when I got to visit Star Trek: The Experience for myself back in August 2002. I was in town for CGE 2K2 and it was the best weekend ever. I got to meet tons of great people from the Retrogaming Roundtable. Being able to go to CGE **AND** ST:TE was amazing.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

So, about 30 years ago, I was one of those people who wrote an unsolicited script for TNG and sent it in. Didn’t make a sale, obviously.

It took a while, but I did finally get a member of the cast to read a script I wrote.

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

Cool. Gates McFadden. Hot. Did you get the chance to talk to her before or after the reading? Or at all even if it was business?

Anyway, I saw her recently on TV. I think it was the pilot episode of Superman & Lois?*** She played a doctor. Big stretch. 😉

***Interesting, I get search results with her name and “Superman & Lois” but, when I click on the link, her name is not in the article. A Reddit user noted that she was was listed as Martha’s doctor as uncredited but that record is now gone. What gives? Was that a different actor in the part we all mistakenly thought was Gates or is her cameo a big secret?

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Nope, I wasn’t allowed into sick bay while she was recording her stuff – her appearance was all handled by people much higher up the food chain. (And of course what that really means is that she recorded everything on her schedule at her own place, and just sent us the file.) She did kind of want to do something real-world informative and not really sci-fi-ish, though, so the finger of “who writes what” pointed firmly at me. There was more scrutiny on that script than on anything else I’ve written for the project so far, but hey, they left in the bit about sending nudes. 😆

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

BTW, that was definitely Gates in Superman & Lois, she said so herself on Twitter. Did she really go uncredited? That’s weird. You’d think you’d want to flex the fact that one of the stars of one of the really big SF franchises was there to smash the champagne bottle across the bow of your new series, but maybe they figure “eh, it’s DC, it’s Superman, we don’t need that”.

k8trackk8track
    Participant

I just watched this a couple nights ago (loved it, by the way) and I had no idea that was Gates McFadden. I had to go back just now and check, and holy crap, I did totally miss it. I hope they sneak in other TNG alums, like my man Biff Yeager.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Please tell me he was wearing an argyle sweater.

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

Glad I was able to pass on that little Easter egg for you. Kevin. 🙂

BTW, Gates voice on the Pioneer 10 spot sounded processed. Auto-tuney, even. Was that simply an artifact of the sound file or was there some kind of post-production work done on her track?

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

There were some edits made, but no more processing than that.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.