Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home – remastered / expanded

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Soundtracks Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home – remastered / expanded

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Oh man, the punk-on-the-bus song is on there. Awesome! A Star Trek soundtrack with an explicit lyrics warning sticker! ūüėÜ

01. Logo/Main Title† 2:52
    02. Starfleet Command/On Vulcan/Spock/Ten Seconds of Tension 1:40
    03. The Probe 1:16
    04. The Probe‚ÄĒTransition/The Take-Off/Menace of the Probe/Clouds and Water/Crew Stunned 3:08
    05. Time Travel 1:28
    06. Market Street* 4:38
    07. In San Francisco 2:01
    08. Chekov’s Run 1:21
    09. Gillian Seeks Kirk 2:42
    10. Hospital Chase 1:14
    11. The Whaler 2:00
    12. Crash/Whale Fugue 8:38
    13. Kirk Freed 0:44
    14. Home Again†/End Credits 5:39
    Total Score Time: 40:06

THE EXTRAS
    15. Ballad of the Whale* 4:59
    16. Main Title† (alternate) 2:56
    17. Time Travel (alternate) 1:29
    18. Chekov’s Run (album ending) 1:19
    19. The Whaler (alternate) 2:05
    20. Crash/Whale Fugue (album track) 8:15
    21. Home Again† and End Credits (alternate) 5:16
    22. Main Title† (album track) 2:40
    23. Whale Fugue (alternate) 1:05
    24. I Hate You** (contains explicit lyrics) 1:59
    Total Extras Time: 32:32

Time = 72:44

*Performed by The Yellowjackets, Composed by Leonard Rosenman, Russell Ferrante and Jimmy Haslip.
    **Performed by Edge of Etiquette, Written by Kirk Thatcher, Arranged by Mark Mangini.
    ‚ĆContains ‚ÄúTheme From Star Trek (TV Series)‚ÄĚ by Alexander Courage

World premiere release of complete Leonard Rosenman score to all-time classic fourth installment of legendary STAR TREK feature-film franchise, starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, directed by Nimoy. Intrada presentation is part of current ongoing CD restoration series of complete STAR TREK film soundtracks being overseen by Paramount, this one through courtesy of both Paramount, UMG. (Other titles appear on Film Score Monthly, La-La Land labels.) Time travel, whales feature in this particular movie, Rosenman draws inspiration from both in exciting score. Musical ideas are sometimes energetic, exciting, sometimes cerebral, complex. Rosenman even gives thematic attention to Chekov, a franchise rarity! Complete Intrada CD restoration offers full score with previously unreleased cues, versions appearing on 1986 MCA album plus several alternates including Rosenman’s unused take on famous Alexander Courage TV theme. Fun to hear Rosenman’s own signature brass “pyramid” at climax of Courage’s melody! CD even includes wild “I Hate You” by Kirk Thatcher, Mark Mangini that annoys Star Trek crew on San Francsico bus ride. Production by Lukas Kendall, mix & assembly by Mike Matessino plus definitive liner notes by Jeff Bond round out stellar package, itself designed by Joe Sikoryak to comfortably fit in with other STAR TREK feature soundtrack restorations. Leonard Rosenman conducts.

Order it here for 20 of your Earth dollars. It’s not a limited edition, so there’s no ticking time bomb.

The main title alternate is a holy grail if ever there was one: Rosenman’s original main theme was merely a grandly orchestrated version of the classic TV series theme.

Also: “part of current ongoing CD restoration series of complete STAR TREK film soundtracks being overseen by Paramount”? Sounds like there’s more to come. It’s cool how three different labels have hired the same art director to make sure that all of these line up together:

Well crap. The release date has been bumped to January 4, 2012. Can’t save the whales until next year.

Also, this is far from the biggest thing on Intrada’s plate:

@Intrada founder Douglass Fake wrote:

To everyone… may you have a Happy New Year!

As today kicks the new year off, all of us at Intrada are already knee deep in projects. To be honest, what we have lined up this year is the most ambitious slate we’ve attempted in our 26-year history. Hopefully there will be something for everyone. Look for some pretty sensational releases coming courtesy our partnership with Disney. In fact, projects with virtually every major studio are now under way… including a milestone new series with one of them. Look for classic recordings you thought you’d never see available. More details on that soon! Even something in the Excalibur series. Just loads of releases for you to choose from. I can’t expect you to support them all… but hopefully there are numerous new things from us that will tickle your fancy throughout 2012.

And so, with lots of excitement for Intrada ahead, may this new year bring forth some musical joy to us all.

(I had to remind myself what the Excalibur series was… according to Intrada’s “about us” page, it’s “a series of world premiere re-recordings of classic film scores, carefully reconstructed and performed by world class orchestras.”)

A lot of folks are hoping that the “milestone new series” might be remasters/expanded/complete versions of the original Star Trek TV scores, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Intrada definitely got my attention by releasing The Black Hole in 2011, so if they say they’ll top that in 2012, it’s time to fasten our seat belts and get the headphones ready.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.