San Diego Comic-Con soundtrack releases

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Soundtracks San Diego Comic-Con soundtrack releases

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Soundtrack releases at SDCC are becoming a big deal, and wow are there some doozies this year.

La-La Land Records
    Debuting 2-CD legit release of James Horner‘s soundtrack from Krull (1985) and 2-CD “film version” release of Danny Elfman‘s Batman score (1989). Krull will be limited to 3,000 copies, Batman to 5,000 copies; not every copy will be at SDCC, but will be available to order online later that weekend. John Debney‘s score from the new movie Predators will also premiere as an unlimited general release.

• Why Krull is a big deal: the soundtrack to Krull has been available, but only as a very rare, very out-of-print, not-that-great-sounding semi-legit 2-CD release from Supertracks (an extinct label with a checkered legal history; they also released the only official soundtrack from the 1996 Doctor Who movie). This release will probably weigh in at around $20, a nice change from $200+, AND remastered, a definite step up from the Supertracks version.
    • Why Batman is a big deal: this is the first-ever release of the film version of the score. What’s that? Frequently, labels releasing a soundtrack will shell out to have a set of completely different recordings made than those actually used in the movie itself (such as all the “concert arrangements” of various character themes you hear in the various Star Wars soundtracks), because there’s a union-mandated re-use fee attached to the music actually recorded for inclusion in the film that doesn’t apply to the re-recordings. Sometimes a few cues will be re-recorded, sometimes the entire thing. The original CD release of Elfman’s Batman music is more toward the “a few cues re-recorded” end of the spectrum, and this is the first time someone’s dropped enough coin to license and release the complete score, as heard in the film, on CD. The second CD will be a remastered edition of the original single-CD album, plus bonus tracks. This score is an iconic (and yet still frequently underappreciated) piece of late-’80s film music waiting to be released in this form; it also marks Elfman’s ascension to the composers’ A-list, since Warner Bros. was very nervous about Tim Burton hiring him, since Elfman was really only known for Oingo Boingo at this point. (In my book, the music is the best thing about the movie it came from, by miles and miles.)

Film Score Monthly
    Film Score Monthly’s official stance is that they will not have a presence at SDCC, but more than a few people are expecting them to still show up in some form to announce their next multi-disc box set (the rumor that still won’t go away is that it’ll be 15 CDs [!!!] of Ron Jones‘ music from Star Trek: The Next Generation). We’ll see. If there’s a better place to announce such a project than at – and I mean this lovingly – the world’s biggest geekfest, I can’t think of it. Unless they wanna come to my house, hold a press conference, and leave me a free review copy. Yeah. In the FSM forums, on the subject of further Trek music releases on his label, FSM founder Lukas Kendall cryptically said:
    @Lukas Kendall wrote:

We are not working on any more Trek movie scores at the moment.

Strange that he felt the need to specify Trek movie scores…

Intrada
    Won’t actually be at SDCC, but is still premiering what they’re saying is a much-loved ’80s action movie score next week [LINK]:
    @Intrada wrote:

We’re world premiering some super cool eighties action and suspense music by a legendary super cool composer. With this particular score, the composer wrote some forty minutes or so of full length cues that make up for a really dynamite album. He also wrote an extraordinary number of tiny cues, fragments and short transition cues which, when included in the album seem to create a lot of padding. So we’ve assembled everything with maximum listening pleasure in mind, offering what we think is a dynamic “album”.

Lots of folks are predicting a long-overdue complete score release of Jerry Goldsmith‘s Gremlins, but I don’t remember a lot of short transitional material in that movie.

Varese Sarabande
    Won’t be there – busy preparing to ship the 1000th release (!!) from VS producer Robert Townson, Alex North‘s Spartacus, in a pricey package spanning 6 CDs, 1 DVD and a booklet weighing in at over 150 pages. Considering how ridiculously lavish that package is (with a $110 price tag to match), I almost wonder if I shouldn’t rent the movie, pay close attention to the music, and see if I’ve been missing something all these years. North is an awesome composer, but… wow.

Turns out that Intrada’s mystery 80s action score was an expanded, remastered re-release of the original Predator soundtrack (wait, I thought that was early ’90s?) – and the 3,000 copy limited edition has already sold out, for frak’s sake.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.