R.I.P. Geoffrey Burgon

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Soundtracks R.I.P. Geoffrey Burgon

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Geoffrey Burgon, who composed the music for the classic Tom Baker stories Terror Of The Zygons and The Seeds Of Doom, died today at the age of 69. Those are far from the only entries on his music resume though:

Monty Python’s Life Of Brian
    Brideshead Revisited
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Chronicles Of Narnia (the BBC’s late ’80s adaptations of the books)
    Silent Witness

There’s an obit, by Terry Jones of Monty Python fame, here. An excerpt:

@Terry Jones wrote:

That same year I was directing Monty Python’s Life of Brian, and my brother suggested I should ask Geoff to write the music for the film. So – not knowing any other composers – I did.

I remember going to his house, and Geoff apologising for being a poor pianist, but he picked out the theme tunes and I liked what I heard, although I had no idea how wonderful the final score would turn out to be. The music he wrote now seems to be inseparable from the film. He gave it a simple but biblical-epic sound – so important in making the audience believe in the world, so the comedy could play against it.

Many years ago, the BBC released a CD of Burgon’s two Doctor Who scores, which I reviewed here. Though the CD is long out of print and quite the collectors’ item now, the upcoming DVD release of Seeds Of Doom will include the music in an isolated score track; I’m sure Zygons will also have this feature whenever it is eventually released.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.