Picard, 20 years after Nemesis: the series

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Picard, 20 years after Nemesis: the series

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

I know at least one person who swears up and down that the woman’s voice in the trailer is Elizabeth Dennehy (Shelby). That’d be neat, though I don’t know if the actress could be talked back into the uniform (though she did speak fondly of it in the documentary featurette on the Best Of Both Worlds blu-ray).

k8trackk8track
    Participant

I thought the voice sounded like Gina Torres.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

I think it’s a highly evolved descendant of Data’s cat, which sets us up for yet another spinoff…

Spot the spinoff

EarlEarl
    Keymaster
    Steve WSteve W
    Participant

Well, they know how to pique my interest. I didn’t think the new series would revolve around the Borg so much. That prison-looking structure with all the teenage looking kids in it has a sign up saying “This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation”. I’m guessing they’re all former Borg that were “rescued” while picking over the bones of the Romulan Star Empire after the frankly idiotic story put forth in the 2009 movie about the destruction of Romulus.

They’ve got some weird looking actors in this show. The elfin looking guy for example. All the Romulans look a bit off. Just like the Klingons from Discovery.

ZLothZLoth

A legitimate copy of Star Trek: Picard is temporarily available on YouTube:

Mind you, a first episode does not make an entire series. And, I won’t even compare it to the Star Trek: Discovery series because, again, I only seen the first episode.

In regards to Data… no, he’s still dead. And B4 only exists in parts. His appearance almost 25 years later after his death, however, is very satisfactory explained, and actually plays a part in the apparent arc of this series.

As for the Romulans… yes, they look different in this series. Two work for Picard at his vineyard. And, there is enough of backstory there to provide a halfway decent explanation.

Its a good start. Unfortunately, not good enough to convince me to subscribe.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

Sometime last year (Christmas present? Did I buy it myself? I don’t remember) I got the Picard DVD and binge watched it. It was not bad (which means it is better than OK). I didn’t think it was a dark as some complained about but I was sad about (SPOILER ALERT) Dahj getting killed in the first episode. I liked how the characters were costumed in Picard. More natural and Seven didn’t have to wear the outrageous skin tight outfits she wore in Voyager. Same goes with the costumes in Discover.

The only complaint I have (again SPOILER ALERT) is the premise about the monsters from the other universe. Pretty much a rip-off from B5’s Third Space movie and Pratchett’s Dungeon Dimensions from Discworld. It also goes against what has already be established in the Star Trek as to what to expect from alternate universe in that show (evil twins, Terran Empire, etc.). I was also disappointed that we didn’t get much of a chance to see the monsters. Sure, we don’t want them to destroy the universe but we should at least glimpse what they were capable of doing. Kill a planet maybe or destroy a bunch of ships. Instead we get “here they come, here they come” and then “Oops, there they go”. Wasn’t that what happened with Third Space? Or the Dungeon Dimensions? I don’t remember. If so, I see a trope here.

Anyway, I digress. The first season ends with Picard getting the band together and now we get to see what the band will do.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

“here they come, here they come” and then “Oops, there they go”

For some reason that really makes me laugh in that last episode of Picard’s first season. OH MY GOD ROBOT TENTACLES FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION ARE COMING TO GET US! Oh. They’re all gone now. And so are the Romulans. And no one, not one ship of Riker’s fleet sticks around to make sure nothing else bad’s gonna happen. 😆 So…we’re taking it on good faith that the Robot Tentacles From Another Dimension aren’t coming back, that none of the Soong androids are going to think “hey, that was BS, I like Robot Tentacles From Another Dimension!” Um……..okay.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.