Earl’s TNG Soundtrack Scorecard

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Soundtracks Earl’s TNG Soundtrack Scorecard

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I remembered that some time ago, I posted a couple of entries in my blog in response to a (pre-forum) reader e-mail about how to best go about persuading labels to release more TNG-and-later Star Trek music. It’s kinda funny what my advice was at the time, way back in ’06 [LINK]:

@I wrote:

Quite a few of the staff at GNP Crescendo seem to have defected in the past few years to a newer indie label, La La Land Records, which does not have the Star Trek license; Crescendo no longer has the license to pursue new soundtrack releases, from what I understand, so we’re stuck between a studio that doesn’t give even the tiniest fraction of a flip about Star Trek right now, and no label in place to release stuff even if they could license it.

My best advice for right now is to write a nice e-mail or letter to La La Land Records and try to stir up some interest in a possible series of Star Trek episode score CDs, very much like their current “Farscape Classics” series, which gather every cue from two individual episodes on a single CD.

😆 Honestly, I was just grasping at straws when I was recommending La-La Land at the time – they just happened to be the only soundtrack label bothering with episodic TV scores at the time (the lamentably short-lived Farscape Classics CDs). You’re welcome, fandom.

@I wrote:

Upon further reflection, assuming two CDs per season, I came up with these “dream teams” for TNG Classics soundtrack releases, based on the quality of the music, not necessarily the popularity of the episodes, and divided up by composer where possible to simplify the royalty madness. I have also omitted those scores which have also seen a fairly substantial release as part of existing GNP Crescendo compilations.

Who knew that the first big TNG music release would be wildly composer-specific (The Ron Jones Project)? It’s also funny to look at the scores I wanted released either in part or in their entirety. Here’s a cut-and-paste of the list, along with whether or not the score in question has been released.

Season 1:
    Where No One Has Gone Before (R. Jones) (full score released in FSM’s Ron Jones Project box)
    11001001 (R. Jones) (full score released in FSM’s Ron Jones Project box)
    The Big Goodbye (D. McCarthy) (one cue on La-La Land’s ST:TNG Collection Vol. 1)
    Conspiracy (D. McCarthy) (several cues on La-La Land’s ST:TNG Collection Vol. 1)

Season 2:
    The Child (D. McCarthy) (several cues on La-La Land’s ST:TNG Collection Vol. 1)
    Contagion (D. McCarthy)
    Q Who (R. Jones) (full score released in FSM’s Ron Jones Project box)
    The Emissary (R. Jones) (full score released in FSM’s Ron Jones Project box)

Season 3:
    Evolution (R. Jones) (full score released in FSM’s Ron Jones Project box)
    Booby Trap (R. Jones) (full score released in FSM’s Ron Jones Project box)
    The Survivors (D. McCarthy) (several cues on La-La Land’s ST:TNG Collection Vol. 1)
    Sins Of The Father (D. McCarthy)

Season 4:
    Family (D. McCarthy)
    Redemption I (D. McCarthy)
    Night Terrors (R. Jones) (full score released in FSM’s Ron Jones Project box)
    The Drumhead (R. Jones) (full score released in FSM’s Ron Jones Project box)

Season 5:
    Redemption II (D. McCarthy)
    Time’s Arrow I (D. McCarthy)
    Darmok (J. Chattaway) (several cues on La-La Land’s ST:TNG Collection Vol. 1)
    I, Borg (J. Chattaway) (one cue on La-La Land’s ST:TNG Collection Vol. 1)

Season 6:
    Time’s Arrow II (D. McCarthy)
    Timescape (D. McCarthy)
    Chain Of Command I (J. Chattaway)
    Face Of The Enemy (D. Davis) (full score released on La-La Land’s ST:TNG Collection Vol. 1)

Season 7:
    Gambit I (J. Chattaway)
    The Pegasus (J. Debney) (full score released on La-La Land’s ST:TNG Collection Vol. 1)
    Masks (D. McCarthy)
    Genesis (D. McCarthy)

Not a bad batting average, if I do say so myself.

Dear La-La Land: please bear in mind my picks for DS9 and Voyager from this post, also in 2006. 😉

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.