Doctor Who: The Light At The End – 50th anniversary audio

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Doctor Who Audio Doctor Who: The Light At The End – 50th anniversary audio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Big news from Big Finish [LINK]…

In November 2013, Big Finish will be releasing Doctor Who: The Light at the End, a very special 100-minute story to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who. Tom Baker (1974-81), Peter Davison (1982-84), Colin Baker (1984-86), Sylvester McCoy (1987-89) and Paul McGann (1996) will all reprise their roles as, respectively, the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Doctors, whose paths suddenly intersect when they face imminent destruction.

“We wanted to do a proper, fully-fledged multi-Doctor story for this very special occasion,” says writer, director and executive producer Nicholas Briggs, “and it’s wonderful that all the surviving Doctors threw themselves behind the project so enthusiastically. That’s not to say the first three Doctors don’t appear – we wanted to pay homage to the whole history of the classic series.”

The Doctors will also be joined by a number of their regular companions: Louise Jameson reprises the role of the savage Leela, Sarah Sutton plays the scientist Nyssa, Nicola Bryant is American botany student Peri, Sophie Aldred is streetwise kid Ace and India Fisher returns as Edwardian adventurer Charley Pollard.

“And that’s not all,” says producer David Richardson, “because Geoffrey Beevers is back to create mayhem as the Master, and there will be a number of appearances from some much-cherished old friends from the TV series…”

I think this’ll definitely be the trick for those seeking a full-on traditional multi-Doctor story, because I just don’t see them doing one on TV for obvious reasons.

Synopsis:

November 23rd 1963 proves to be a significant day in the lives of all eight Doctors…

It’s the day that Bob Dovie’s life is ripped apart…

It’s also a day that sets in motion a catastrophic chain of events which forces the first eight incarnations of the Doctor to fight for their very existence. As a mysterious, insidious chaos unfolds within the TARDIS, the barriers of time break apart…

From suburban England through war-torn alien landscapes and into a deadly, artificial dimension, all these Doctors and their companions must struggle against the power of an unfathomable, alien technology.

From the very beginning, it is clear that the Master is somehow involved. By the end, for the Doctors, there may only be darkness.

Here’s a trailer. [LINK] Quite interesting…

And here, at last, is the cover.

…and an interesting animated promo image:

The Light At The End will also be released as VINYL (4 LPs worth!), but that special edition will set you back £100. 😯

Steve W
    Participant

Cheesy looking 3D models with badly photoshopped heads attached? That’s going to convince me to buy it!

I do like the CD cover though. That’s a nice, classy image.

By the way, what’s the difference between the regular edition and the collector’s edition? I have traditionally gotten all my Big Finish audio books from you at OVGE, I’ve never actually bought one direct from them before. And should I go for a physical copy or digital only?

The collectors edition has 2 CDs worth of “making of” and “the history of Who at Big Finish” material, plus The Revenants, a Companion Chronicle that only appeared as an exclusive download for subscribers to Doctor Who Magazine. The normal edition, if you can even use that word in a conversation about Doctor Who, is just the two discs of the story itself.

In the animated image, look around Peter Davison’s knees – is that a joint I see? I’d swear they photoshopped his head from a publicity photo onto the Davison action figure, whose coat typically lacks celery.

Steve W
    Participant

But that’s not an action figure, that’s a quick and nasty 3D rendering. Davison’s shoulders aren’t that broad, Tom Baker’s body isn’t so thin, et cetera. It was like they pulled graphics models from some Nintendo Wii game that never saw the light of day. But if it was ever published, I’d totally buy a multi-Doctor based game. Think of the possibilities. You’d shift between Doctors to use their specializations. I can picture a nice fighting section for Pertwee.

ubikuberalles

For some reason I pictured the following game:

Replace the player images with the heads of the Doctors in the order they appeared in the series and replace the various monsters with Daleks, Cybermen, Silurians, and other bad guys and you got a decent `1980’s era shmup.

Steve W
    Participant

I’d prefer the sounds and music from the Astrocade version rather than the Atari 2600 version. I’m betting the Astrocade’s sound chip could pull off some Doctor Who theme music pretty well.

ubikuberalles

@Steve W wrote:

I’d prefer the sounds and music from the Astrocade version rather than the Atari 2600 version.

I grew up on the Atari 800 version of Wizard of Wor so I should have posted the Atari 800 version instead (I was lazy and picked the first image thatworked). Here you go, the Atari 800 version:

It turns out that the above is the LP cover only. Here’s the CD cover for the “standard edition” (i.e. what I could afford to put on pre-order):

Big Finish has released pictures of the deluxe edition (standard 2-CD edition + 2 CDs of behind-the-scenes material + 1 CD of the Companion Chronicles story The Revenants, previously available only as a download from Doctor Who Magazine):

And the four-record LP edition:

(Click on either one to see the full size picture.)

Early anniversary present! [LINK]

We’re very pleased to announce that today is the day we’re beginning the release of our 50th anniversary Doctor Who story The Light at the End. We’re beginning with the Limited Edition CD box set.

It’s the 23rd of October, one month ahead of the anniversary of Doctor Who on the 23rd of November, and as of today, the digital download releases for all versions of Doctor Who: The Light at the End will be made available. This includes the Limited Edition, the Standard Edition and the Vinyl Edition.

Mailing out of the Limited Edition CD version has begun today.

Nick Briggs, executive producer: ‘The Standard Edition CDs should start to be mailed out this coming Friday, and the Vinyl Edition will start mailing on November 2nd.

‘With the anniversary of Doctor Who imminent,’ continues Nick, ‘and everyone champing at the bit for the celebrations to begin, we thought it only right and proper that our special anniversary full-cast audio should be released a tiny bit early. Our plans for this very nearly went awry when the company responsible for the physical production of our CDs (and LPs!), Key Productions, experienced a series of unforeseeable problems beyond their control. This is what has caused the slight delay on the Standard Edition and the slightly longer delay of the Vinyl Edition. But for all our customers who can access the digital versions of all these releases, they can listen straight away.

‘We know that those customers who favour listening to the CD or the LP rather than downloading a digital version, might find this a little frustrating, but we thought this course of action would benefit the vast majority of our loyal listeners. We offer our sincerest apologies to any customers who find this decision doesn’t suit them, and hope they will understand our reasons for going ahead with the releases now.’

So technically… I can download this tonight from BF since I pre-ordered the CD. Sweeeet.

Steve W
    Participant

After you listen to them, tell us if they’re worth splashing out the money for.

It’s beter than I expected, and the multi-Doctor angle is a lot of fun. For the most part, due to logistics involving recording studios and their proximity to various actors, there are team-ups involving two Doctors – Tom baker and McGann team up, which is a heap of fun, and Colin and McCoy team up as well. The Fifth and Nyssa go it alone, but everyone is together toward the end, if only briefly.

There’s a story involving a normal suburban dad who’s somehow related to the proceedings, a d it’s heartbreaking in places. The Master is a king-sized deluxe bastard with extra cheese in this one.

The first three Doctors DO play a significant part. You get to hear them interact with their successors quite a bit.

Overall, it really raises the bar. This is the all-the-Doctors team-up we know the TV series won’t give us, and it’s done with restraint instead of everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink silliness. Day of the Doctor will have to be exceptional to beat this as an appropriate anniversary story.

Steve W
    Participant

Did they use sound-alikes for the first three Doctors, or old audio clips pasted together? I know Troughton and Pertwee’s sons are actors too (I just saw Sean Pertwee on the season 2 premiere of Elementary as Inspector LaStrade, only at one point did he sound somewhat like his dad), did they fill in for their fathers and if so, did they do a good job?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.