Chuck E. Cheese was the fever dream of one Bay Area tech executive

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Gaming History Chuck E. Cheese was the fever dream of one Bay Area tech executive

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Chuck E. Cheese was the fever dream of one Bay Area tech executive

If you are a 1990s Bay Area kid like myself, you probably have memories of at least one birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese.

Growing up in Fairfield, most kids I went to school with couldn’t afford big, fancy parties. So it was really splashing out when you got an invite to Chuck E. Cheese. This was the big time. Pizza, ball pits, arcade games I didn’t know how to play. And my god, it was chaos. Screaming kids pounding across dark carpet that was simultaneously hard and sticky. The world’s greasiest pizza coating everything with an oily film. And every few minutes, the walls opened up and an array of confusing animatronic singing animals would emerge. For an anxious kid like me, it was an uncomfortable, pepperoni-scented sensory overload.

Many years later, I learned the most elaborate venue of my childhood wasn’t some national chain plopped down in the Bay Area. It was local, the brainchild of an early Silicon Valley tech executive whose fascination with animatronics would give the world an unexpected childhood mascot.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.