Big Finish / Tom Baker recap

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Doctor Who Audio Big Finish / Tom Baker recap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Okay… now where were we? More covers have been released between my big computer crash and my big forum crash, so here’s a lot of new stuff for you.

1. Destination: Nerva (January 2012)

written & directed by Nicholas Briggs

After saying their goodbyes to Professor Litefoot and Henry Gordon Jago, the Doctor and Leela respond to an alien distress call beamed direct from Victorian England. It is the beginning of a journey that will take them to the newly built Space Dock Nerva… where a long overdue homecoming is expected.

A homecoming that could bring about the end of the human race.

Tom Baker (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Raquel Cassidy (Dr Alison Foster), Sam Graham (McMullan/Pilot), Tilly Gaunt (Laura Craske), Tim Bentinck (Giles Moreau/Jenkins), Kim Wall (Jim Hooley/Drelleran 1/Security Guard), Tim Treloar (Lord Jack/Drudgers/Drelleran 2)

2. The Renaissance Man (February 2012)

written by Justin Richards / directed by Ken Bentley

Tom Baker (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Ian McNeice (Harcourt), Gareth Armstrong (Jephson), Anthony Howell (Edward), Daisy Ashford (Lizzie), Laura Molyneux (Beryl/Professor Hilda Lutterthwaite), John Dorney (Dr Henry Carnforth)

3. The Wrath Of The Iceni (March 2012)

written by John Dorney

Tom Baker (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Ella Kenion (Boudica), Nia Roberts (Bragnar)

4. Energy Of The Daleks (April 2012)

written & directed by Nicholas Briggs

Tom Baker (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Alex Lowe (Damien Stephens/Robomen), Mark Benton (Jack Coulson), Caroline Keiff (Lydia Harding), Dan Starkey (Kevin Winston/Robomen), John Dorney (Robomen), Nicholas Briggs (The Daleks)

5. Trail Of The White Worm (May 2012)

written by Alan Barnes / directed by Ken Bentley

Tom Baker (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Geoffrey Beevers (The Master), Michael Cochrane (Colonel Spindleton), Rachael Stirling (Demesne Furze)

6. Title TBA (June 2012)
    written by Alan Barnes

If Big Finish’s eighth Doctor “seasons” were anything to go by, episode 6 is probably “part 2” of episode 5, so expect more of the Master.

The Lost Stories: The Fourth Doctor (late January 2012)

The Foe from the Future: The Grange is haunted, so they say. This stately home in the depths of Devon has been the site of many an apparition. And now people are turning up dead. The ghosts are wild in the forest. But the Doctor doesn’t believe in ghosts.

The TARDIS follows a twist in the vortex to the village of Staffham in 1977 and discovers something is very wrong with time. But spectral highwaymen and cavaliers are the least of the Doctor’s worries.

For the Grange is owned by the sinister Jalnik, and Jalnik has a scheme two thousand years in the making. Only the Doctor and Leela stand between him and the destruction of history itself. It’s the biggest adventure of their lives – but do they have the time?

written by Robert Banks Stewart, adapted by John Dorney
    Tom Baker (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Paul Freeman (Jalnik), Louise Brealey (Charlotte), Blake Ritson (Instructor Shibac), Mark Goldthorp (Constable Burrows), Philip Pope (Father Harpin), Jaimi Barbakoff (Supreme Councillor Geflo), Dan Starkey (Historiographer Osin), Camilla Power (Councillor Kostal)

This story was replaced by The Talons Of Weng-Chiang on TV.

The Valley of Death: A century after his Great-Grandfather Cornelius vanished in the Amazon rainforest, Edward Perkins is journeying to the depths of the jungle to find out what became of his ancestor’s lost expedition. Intrigued by what appears to be a description of a crashed spacecraft in the diaries of that first voyage, the Doctor and Leela join him on his quest. But when their plane runs into trouble and ends up crash landing, everyone gets more than they bargained for.

The jungle is filled with giant creatures and angry tribesmen, all ready to attack. But in the famed lost city of the Maygor tribe, something far, far worse is lurking. Something with an offer to make to mankind. Who are the Lurons and can they be trusted? Will the Doctor defeat the plans of the malevolent Godrin or will he become just another victim of the legendary Valley of Death?

written by Philip Hinchcliffe, adapted by Jonathan Morris
    Tom Baker (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Nigel Carrington (Emissary Godrin/Dr Summersby/Announcer), Delia Lindsay (Overlord Saldor/Newsreader), Jane Slavin (Valerie Carlton), Anthony Howell (Edward Perkins), David Killick (Professor Cornelius Perkins), Richard Bremmer (General Hemmings/Valcon/Taxi Driver)

The Lost Stories are directed by Ken Bentley.

According to Doctor Who News Page [LINK]…

Big Finish have announced that the Doctor is to meet up with his old acquaintances Henry Gordon Jago and Professor George Litefoot!

The company has confirmed that Christopher Benjamin and Trevor Baxter will once again reprise the Victorian investigative duo alongside Tom Baker as The Doctor and Mary Tamm as Romana in The Justice of Jalxar.

The adventure is written by John Dorney and will form part of the second season of The Fourth Doctor Adventures, to be released in 2013.

Baker + Jago & Litefoot… Mary Tamm as Romana… in the same story, no less! I know at least two people reading this who’ll be very happy. 😆 There’s no word on where this will fall into the continuity of the Jago & Litefoot spinoff audios, which I apparently to need to get a hold of sometime in the next year.

Steve W
    Participant

Hey, has Tom Baker ever done any commentary tracks with Lalla Ward? And if not, what do you think the odds are that he’d ever be up for such a thing for an audio drama?

They’ve never done a DVD commentary together to the best of my knowledge; then again, I don’t have all the DVDs to double-check. I have a feeling Tom would be down for whatever, but you’d have a hard time getting Lalla in the same room with him. A pity, perhaps, but we got two seasons with the two of them together, whereas we had one six-story season with Mary Tamm. And I like the notion – already posited by some previous Missing Adventures novels and Big Finish Companion Chronicles – that the Key To Time stories were the adventures the Doctor and Romana #1 had when they found what they were looking for; surely there were other stories in between those where the locator led them astray.

Steve W
    Participant

In the beginning of Lalla Ward’s time as Romana, she mentioned the princess she ‘borrowed’ the body of, but she didn’t mention how long ago that adventure took place, did she? I don’t recall. Did it sound like it was something that had just happened to them, or did she describe it in a way that could give a writer a little bit of wiggle room for setting adventures inbetween the final Key To Time episode and her regeneration?

I think there’s some wiggle room in there, but I’ve always been weirdly intrigued by the notion that it took them a couple of decades to find all the parts of the Key To Time. To have all of the pieces lined up like bowling pins where they cound find them all in a row in six consecutive adventures seems a little too convenient.

It’s tempting to try to shoehorn in some grand finale for the Mary Tamm Romana, and give her a good reason to regenerate, but there’s nothing there that erases all the dialogue at the beginning of Density Of The Daleks that makes it sound like she’s trying on a new pair of shoes.

Big Finish has spilled the beans on the last of the 2012 Tom Baker audios:

written by Alan Barnes / directed by Ken Bentley

Following the first season line-up of Destination: Nerva, The Renaissance Man, The Wrath of the Iceni, Energy of the Daleks and Trail of the White Worm, the run climaxes with The Oseidon Adventure by Alan Barnes. The story again co-stars Louise Jameson as Leela, while Geoffrey Beevers reprises his role as the Master. There are no major prizes for guessing the identity of the monsters – the Kraals from the planet Oseidon are back to invade Earth again, after their foiled attempt in the 1975 TV story The Android Invasion.

‘The Kraals are great villains,’ says executive producer Nick Briggs. ‘I was recently reminded of their great story potential when I presented a DVD documentary for The Android Invasion, strangely enough at the location where I first met Tom Baker on Myth Makers! They’re one of those monsters that had, shall we say, some physical, visual shortcomings that are easily put right on audio! We’re giving them a new, vibrant lease of life here.’

But wait! There’s more: titles and more have been revealed for the 2013 Tom Baker stories with Mary Tamm. [LINK]

Looking ahead to 2013’s Fourth Doctor Adventures, Mary Tamm will return as the first Romana, and John Leeson as K9, in a run of new stories set after the Key to Time adventures. Season two opens with The Auntie Matter by Jonathan Morris, in which the Doctor and Romana are hiding out on Earth from the Black Guardian, where an alien creature has designs on the Time Lady. Julia McKenzie (Miss Marple, Cranford) guest stars as Aunt Florence, while Alan Cox is Grenville.

Next up are The Sands of Life and War Against the Laan by Nicholas Briggs, two consecutive releases with a continuing story. David Warner (Titanic, Planet of the Apes) guest stars as Cuthbert, Toby Hadoke (Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf) is Mr Dorrick, while Hayley Atwell (star of Hollywood blockbuster Captain America, and the upcoming film version of The Sweeney) is President Moorkurk.

A long overdue reunion takes place in The Justice of Jalxar by John Dorney, as the Fourth Doctor calls in on his old friends Professor Litefoot (Trevor Baxter) and Henry Gordon Jago (Christopher Benjamin) while on a trip to Victorian London.

‘It was an absolute joy to bring these characters and actors back together,’ says producer David Richardson. ‘John Dorney has written a brilliantly witty and exciting script, and the recording day was like a party, as everyone instantly clicked together after thirty-four years apart. Of course, there’s something new as the infernal investigators meet Romana for the first time – and Jago becomes a little smitten…’

Finally, for now, the TARDIS lands on the ocean floor in the future in Phantoms of the Deep by Jonathan Morris, where an alien life form is about to be discovered. This tense, atmospheric story guest stars Alice Krige (Spooks, the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact) as Doctor Patricia Sawyer.

The titles and guest cast for the final two episodes of series two will be announced at a later date.

Ah… so this “season” falls between The Armageddon Factor and Destiny Of The Daleks. But look at the people they’re able to cast, probably due to the words “Tom” and “Baker” being mentioned upfront.

Steve W
    Participant

I think Alice Krige took the job just so she wouldn’t have to sit in a makeup chair for 8 hours a day. 😆 And David Warner classes up everything he does, even when it’s a stinker like his Babylon 5 episode.

Big Finish has posted the first ten minutes of the first Tom Baker audio for free download. The net’s already buzzing about how much better this is than the BBC Hornet’s Nest, Serpent Crest or Demon Quest audios.

Looks like we get a Tom Baker Christmas special this year [LINK]…

The Doctor Who main range subscriber special for 2012 is Night of the Stormcrow, a two-part story starring Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor and Louise Jameson as Leela.

“Marc Platt has written a deliciously dark tale that should chill our subscribers in the winter nights,” says producer David Richardson. “Night of the Stormcrow is about that nagging neurosis you get when you’re awake at 3:30 in the morning; the terrible fear of what is lurking in the pitch black…”

Night of the Stormcrow will be released in December and the guest cast includes Ann Bell (Tenko) as Professor Gesima Cazalet and Chase Masterson (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) as Peggy Brooks.

High atop Mount McKerry sits the observatory. For years now it’s been watching the skies. Now something’s watching back. Something dark and huge that blots out the stars. Something with giant wings. Something that kills.

When the TARDIS is struck mid-flight, the Doctor and Leela crash-land on the mountain to find they are not the only aliens to be visiting. Beings of nothing infest the complex, staff members are dead or mad. As the survivors argue amongst themselves and attempt to take advantage of the situation, a creature vast and terrible is coming ever closer.

A creature called… Stormcrow.

Night of the Stormcrow is free to subscribers to the main range whose subscription includes the December release 1001 Nights. It can also be requested by 12-release CD or download main range subscribers as a free bonus story. The story will also be available to buy from December 2013.

Big Finish has revealed the cover for the first fourth Doctor story of 2013 [LINK]:

@Big Finish wrote:

“It’s astonishing to think that it’s only four months until the launch of Season Two,” says producer David Richardson. “And it’s desperately sad to think Mary is no longer with us to enjoy the public unveiling of Romana’s return to the Fourth Doctor’s side.

“However, I have no doubt at all that Mary would want us to forge ahead with releasing these stories as planned, and she’d want them to be a huge success. She certainly worked very hard to finish them, despite her illness.”

The Auntie Matteris written by Jonathan Morris and finds the two travelers hiding out in the Doctor’s house in Baker Street in the early 20th Century. And in London Romana attracts the attentions of young Reggie (Robert Portal), who is very eager to introduce her to his Aunt…

Lucy Griffiths (Robin Hood) plays Mabel, Alan Cox (Young Sherlock Holmes, The Speed of Thought) is Grenville while Julia McKenzie (Marple, Cranford) is the sinister Aunt Florence.

And another one. [LINK]

@Big Finish wrote:

Tom Baker and Mary Tamm are joined, for the first time in this audio range, by John Leeson as K9, in a script written and directed by Nicholas Briggs. The star-studded cast also includes Hayley Atwell (Captain America, The Sweeney) and David Warner.

“I loved Nick’s script for this story,” says producer David Richardson, “and it sets up an interesting arc for the series which will see David Warner and Toby Hadoke recurring through four of the releases. I think we made Toby’s year when we cast him in an ongoing role opposite one of his favourite Doctors!”

The Sands of Life will be released in February 2013.

Steve W
    Participant

That cover for Sands of Life is terrible. For one thing, as far as being in a harsh desert, they don’t seem to be casting proper shadows on the ground. That should have taken all of five minutes in Photoshop to fix. And David Warner’s picture doesn’t seem to fit as a background image. He’s just looking bored. And when I see that cover, I wonder what episode they took it from, since my brother-in-law has my Key To Time DVD set for me to check out which episode Mary Tamm wore that outfit in. And are those monster tails sticking up out of the sand, or weirdly shaped gravestones?

@Steve W wrote:

David Warner’s picture doesn’t seem to fit as a background image. He’s just looking bored.

I have a theory – it may be another case like this, where we get a strangely vapid pre-release cover to fill in for the real cover to be revealed later, which will feature a familiar enemy of some kind.

@Steve W wrote:

And when I see that cover, I wonder what episode they took it from, since my brother-in-law has my Key To Time DVD set for me to check out which episode Mary Tamm wore that outfit in.

The Pirate Planet

@Steve W wrote:

And are those monster tails sticking up out of the sand, or weirdly shaped gravestones?

Baker-era Cybermats maybe?

ubikuberalles

@Steve W wrote:

And are those monster tails sticking up out of the sand, or weirdly shaped gravestones?

Leftovers from the movie Beetlejuice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.