And the eighth Doctor’s new companion is…

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Doctor Who Audio And the eighth Doctor’s new companion is…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

…Primeval’s Ruth Bradley as Molly O’Sullivan.

@Big Finish Productions wrote:

Big Finish Productions has completed recording for the upcoming Eighth Doctor audio box set, entitled Dark Eyes. Paul McGann once again returns to the role of the Doctor in a story set immediately after the devastating events of To the Death, when he parted company with popular companion Lucie Miller (Sheridan Smith).

‘Dark Eyes is a new, epic story, a jumping-on point!’ explains writer, director and executive producer Nick Briggs. ‘It’s a whole new era of Doctor Who in a box! It’s certainly bigger on the inside in that respect. My aim was to join the Doctor when he’s at the point of desperation after having lost a close friend. But it’s also a story about him finding someone new and finding new hope.’

And the new hope comes to him in the form of a young Irish girl called Molly O’Sullivan, a Voluntary Aid Division nursing assistant, saving lives during the First World War (1914-18). Taking on the role of Molly is Ruth Bradley (perhaps best known for her leading roles in Primeval – showing now on Saturday evenings! – and the recent ITV series Titanic).

‘Ruth has taken to the role with electric enthusiasm,’ says Briggs. ‘She and Paul have been riding horses, flying planes and diving under the waves – all on the first day! They’ve been having incredible fun.’

The four instalments of Dark Eyes are entitled The Great War, Fugitives, The Tangled Web and ‘X’ and the Daleks. Featuring alongside the Doctor, his new girl and his arch-enemies (Nick Briggs again, of course) are Peter Egan – as a new regeneration of the Time Lord Straxus – Toby Jones (Doctor Who: Amy’s Choice, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Harry Potter) as the mysterious Kotris and Ian Cullen (Ixta inThe Aztecs) as Naydean, native of the planet Srangor.

Wow, I don’t think anyone’s called an incoming companion “the Doctor’s new girl” since 1979 or so. 😆

And we have a cover.

Aha! The mystery “alternate costume” at last. Seems like I recall predicting that this outfit, which showed up almost two years ago, was something to do with Big Finish.

Now I find myself wondering if the timing of the restoration of the console prop (with McGann on hand) figures into this somehow…

The fact of the matter is: there was a finite number of publicity photos of the eighth Doctor from the 1996 movie. Big Finish has had to use all of them about 19 times each. 😆 I’m sure that’s why an audio drama production company would invest in costumes and props for the first time.

Also, this is the most significant “mid-life” costume change any of the Doctors has undergone (if, of course, you regard it as official – your expanded universe mileage may vary); the only comparable changes I can think of would be the sudden switch in Tom Baker’s final season, and even then, the coat/boots/scarf “shape” of his outfit was retained, just with a different color palette.

Now… when do we get an action figure? 😆

Steve W
    Participant

I’ve never considered spin-off media like books and audio stories to be canon. If they needed to get him another outfit, I’d like to see him go back to the source. It was originally a Wild Bill Hickock costume swiped from an intern, It’d be cool to have an audio story where he goes back and meets Wild Bill, and at the end of the story, he wins one of Wild Bill’s outfits in a poker game or something.

Someone needs to give McGann a comb and a bottle of pomade or something. At least it’s better than the short buzzcut he got before the movie was to film, forcing them to put a wig on him. That hairstyle was just atrocious.

Dark Eyes now has a trailer, which you can hear here. (Here here!)

The Dark Eyes story continues in February. [LINK]

We’re delighted to be able to announce the next phase of the Eighth Doctor’s adventures will be in Doctor Who: Dark Eyes 2, 3 and 4! Starring Paul McGann (who played the Doctor in the 1996 TV movie) and Ruth Bradley as Molly O’Sullivan, three five-disc box sets will be released over the course of the year from February 2014 to February 2015 and you can pre-order one or all of them now!

When the Doctor defeated the Dalek Time Controller and its Time Lord ally, the timelines shifted and events changed… but the danger is far from over. And new threats to the continued safety of the universe are emerging.

Molly O’Sullivan carried on with her life as a nursing assistant in World War One. She probably thought she would never see the Doctor in his ‘Tardy-box’ again…

From the Dalek occupied planet Nixyce VII through Earth’s history and to the very edge of the universe, the Doctor’s footprints across eternity are being tracked by foes old and new. But when did it all begin and when will it end? Living his life through the complexities of time travel, the Doctor can never be quite sure if he’s experiencing his life in the most helpful order. The only certainty appears to be the advance of the powers of evil and the oncoming threat of a fight to the death against forces that would destroy everything the Doctor holds dear.

There’s still a lot we’re keeping quiet about these releases for now, so keep an eye out for updates, both here on the website and elsewhere…

Subsequent revelations about casting have indicated that this story won’t just be about Molly “Dark Eyes” O’Sullivan, however…

‘We left Molly wandering off back to her life of blood sweat and tears as a nursing assistant during World War One last time,’ explains writer, director and executive producer of Dark Eyes 2, Nick Briggs. ‘This time, things have moved on for her and she doesn’t return to the Doctor’s side in quite the way that many might expect.’

Also encountering the Doctor again is the character Liv Chenka, played by Nicola Walker (Spooks, Prisoner’s Wives, Scott and Bailey) who first appeared in the Big Finish audios alongside Sylvester McCoy’s Seventh Doctor in the acclaimed Robophobia (sequel to classic series story The Robots of Death).

‘We thought it would be fun for Liv to bump into the Doctor again,’ explains line producer David Richardson, ‘and Nicola is such a brilliant actress who was great fun to work with.’ This time round, she encounters the Doctor during a Dalek occupation of the planet Nixyce VII. But it’s not just the Daleks the Doctor will be battling in Dark Eyes 2.

So why continue to call the eighth Doctor stories Dark Eyes, and give them their own section on Big Finish’s web site? I’m going to throw a crazy theory out there. They won’t actually be called Dark Eyes, and there’s a reason the future box sets have their own section. Come back to this thread in February and we’ll see if I’m rght. And this theory really only requires two words, even though they’re two words that go against everything we know about Big Finish’s Doctor Who license.

“Time War.”

Crazy guess, right? But here’s another quote from Mr. Briggs, this time from issue 55 of Vortex, Big Finish’s monthly PDF promotional ‘zine:

All of a sudden, this question is being asked over and over again. Our licence with the BBC was granted before the new TV series returned in 2005. Latterly, our licence has been a sub-licensing deal with AudioGo, the company who are the official home of all BBC audio, and they have traditionally produced all audio material relating to the new TV series. We find ourselves now in a situation where no other licences for Doctor Who merchandise differentiate between the old and new series, so perhaps this will be something for us to investigate in the future.

Especially since AudioGo is no more, right, Nick?

Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, but “Dark Eyes 2”, etc. has got to be a “cover name” to keep us in the dark about what the story really is… and the thing that would make the most sense, which would demand that kind of “event” packaging as multiple CD box sets, would be the beginning of the Time War, and the eighth Doctor’s (probably futile) efforts to avoid it as best he can, the results of which we’ve already seen.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.