Yet another Galactica spinoff: Blood & Chrome

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction American / Canadian SF Battlestar Galactica Yet another Galactica spinoff: Blood & Chrome

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Sounds a little too close to the subtitle of the Spartacus series on Starz, but there ya go. According to the Chicago Tribune [LINK]…

An online series called “Blood & Chrome” is in the works, one that would follow the experiences of a young William “Husker” Adama in the first Cylon War.

According to Mark Stern, Syfy’s executive vice president of original programming and the co-head of original content for Universal Cable Productions, “Battlestar Galactica” and “Caprica” co-executive producer Michael Taylor will write the the script for the new venture. “Blood & Chrome” is “about a young man’s initiation into war: both the realities of war as fought by soldiers on the ground (and in Battlestars and Vipers), and the somewhat less real version portrayed in the media,” according to Taylor.

“Blood & Chrome” would consist of nine or 10 episodes of nine or 10 minutes each, and it would make use of cutting-edge digital technology and special effects to depict the Cylon War. If it is greenlit to production, it will be filmed using green screens and virtual sets, not unlike Syfy’s “Sanctuary” or James Cameron’s “Avatar.” Before “Battlestar Galactica” ended, high-tech scans were made of all the show’s sets, so that the special-effects team will be able to re-create them (possibly even in 3D).

It’s not known yet if “Blood & Chrome” would star Nico Cortez, the actor cast as young Adama in “Razor,” a previous “Battlestar Galactica” movie. There may be one other character from “Razor” in the new online series, but it would feature a mostly new cast.

If “Blood & Chrome” is successful, it could be the first a series of similar projects, and if it’s judged very successful, it could even act as a backdoor pilot for a TV show set in that war-torn “BSG” era.

Thoughts? :adama:

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Thoughts? Galactica is over, SyFy. You’re never going to get those ratings again, especially with those progressively cheaper production spin-offs. Just let it go, SyFy. All the other networks are laughing at you. The other networks don’t even want to sit at the same cafeteria lunch table with you anymore. Get over it and move on. We’re saying this for your own good, SyFy.

My first reaction to this news…

To hear this announced without a second season pickup for Caprica already on the books doesn’t give me a good feeling. Caprica‘s a very interesting show that I’d like to see continue; surely we’re not going to ditch it in favor of something that has more fighting toasters. This reminds me of the days when Babylon 5 was on the air and J. Michael Straczynski was referring to those fans who insisted that every episode should have lots of explosions as propellerheads. Not every “arc” episode needs to empty an entire truckload of propane on the proceedings, surely?

And then there’s the question, astutely raised by a Facebook friend of mine, of whatever happened to the Farscape webisodes we were supposed to get – you know, the ones that were announced, what is it, one or two Comic Cons ago, back when SyFy was still Sci Fi? They don’t exactly have a sterling track record of delivering these projects that are announced.

The first pieces of casting news are being announced, with Luke Pasqualino playing the young (but not-as-young-as-he-is-in-Caprica) William Adama, and Ben Cotton playing Coker, Adama’s superior officer.

SYFY’S “BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: BLOOD & CHROME” LAUNCHES

2-Hour Pilot Chronicles Young William Adama’s Adventures in First Cylon War

Lili Bordan Joins Luke Pasqualino and Ben Cotton in the Cast

NEW YORK – February 10, 2011 – Production has begun in Vancouver on Syfy’s highly anticipated 2-hour pilot, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, the all-new chapter in the Battlestar Galactica saga. Universal Cable Productions will produce the event with Syfy utilizing cutting edge CGI and virtual technology.

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome takes place in the 10th year of the first Cylon war. As the battle between humans and their creation, the sentient robotic Cylons, rages across the 12 colonial worlds, a young, talented fighter pilot, William Adama (Luke Pasqualino), finds himself assigned to one of the most powerful Battlestars in the Colonial fleet: the Galactica. Full of ambition and in pursuit of the intense action that the Cylon war promises, Adama quickly find himself at odds with Coker (Ben Cotton), the battle-weary officer to whom he reports. With 47 days left in his tour of duty, Coker desires an end to battle just as much as Adama craves the start of it. Though they clash at first, the two men forge an unlikely bond when a routine mission turns dangerous and becomes a pivotal one for the desperate fleet.

Joining Pasqualino and Cotton in the cast is Lili Bordan, who will play Dr. Beka Kelly, a Ph.D. who worked for Graystone Industries that created the Cylon robots. Currently assigned to a secret military mission, Beka and Adama quickly establish a rapport.

From the award-winning producers of Battlestar Galactica, this new action-packed chapter of the BSG canon was written by Michael Taylor form a story by David Eick, Taylor and Bradley Thompson & David Weddle and directed by Jonas Pate. David Eick, Jonas Pate and Michael Taylor will serve as executive producers.

The Graystone Industries thing is kind of interesting. They’re not completely forgetting Caprica… just mostly.

IO9 reports something that makes this sound like a big stinker [LINK]…

@IO9.com wrote:

No new Battlestar Galactica on your television screens? That’s a possibility, according to AOL TV’s Maureen Ryan. Syfy is considering turning its latest Battlestar Galactica prequel, Blood and Chrome, back into a webseries.

When Blood and Chrome was originally commissioned, back in July 2010, the plan was for it to be a webseries of nine or ten episodes of around 10 minutes each, shot in greenscreen. Then, around the time Syfy pulled the plug on Caprica, the network decided to air Blood and Chrome as a TV movie — and as a possible backdoor pilot that could lead to a new series.

Now Syfy has seen an early cut of the TV movie, without most of the visual effects completed — and they’re thinking of turning it back into a webseries, the network’s EVP Mark Stern told Ryan. Stern said that a decision on Blood and Chrome’s release date was not imminent, and it was still a possibility that they would air it as a TV movie/backdoor pilot. But they’re seriously considering transforming it back into a series of webisodes. (It’s a bad sign that Syfy doesn’t automatically consider this production as worthy of TV-movie status as, say, Killer Mountain. Or Mega-Python Vs. Gatoroid. Etc. etc.)

However, the first comment left on this article makes a good point:

@CreslinLive wrote:

SyFy Execs seem to hate any space related science fiction. If this series had been pitched to them as wrestlers hunting ghosts using bad acting and night vision instead of the Colonial Forces fighting the Cylons they would have been all over it.

In fact that’s just ridiculous enough of a premise that it would make a perfect SyFy Original Movie: UberWrestlers vs. MegaGhosts!

I hope that no SyFy exec reads this and puts that into production.

😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

If they’re going to do webisodes, they might as well just dump a pile of money in the parking lot and set it on fire. For all the expense of the pilot, they can’t really justify putting it on the internet where a couple hundred people will bother watching it. They should just push forward and finish the thing with special effects completed, then make a judgement. Hell, most network and movie executives haven’t got a clue about quality to begin with. Nobody had any faith in Star Wars at Fox, they would have been happy to pull the plug. 20th Century Fox also (if I recall right) were the studio that turned down the movie Titanic because they didn’t like it. I bet those executives were catapulted off the rooftop once the movie opened at a competing studio. The point is, you can’t expect network people to spot quality. Those are the same people who put wrestling on the network.

Or at least release it straight to DVD / Blu-Ray / iTunes / Amazon / etc.

Not that I’m really looking forward to another Galactica spinoff given how they treated the last one, but… c’mon guys. Try.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

SyFy Execs seem to hate any space related science fiction.

If that is true, then I wonder why. After all, BSG made them a sh*t-ton of money and it was a space-related show. But, than again, network executives have notorious short term memory problems. They forgot BSG was good for them and only remember that Caprica was bad for them (but, then again, Caprica wasn’t space related SciFi, since all the action happened on Caprica and not in space).

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Hear! Hear!

I pretty much feel the same way about the situation. The blurring of the line between Science fiction and Fantasy occurred a long time ago. In the bookstores it started in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. Back in 1979 or 1980 one of my friends was senior employee at a Waldenbooks store. He was in charge of several sections. His pride and joy was the Science Fiction and Fantasy shelves, which were separate and distinct. He populated the shelves with his favorite books and made sure his favorite Authors were well represented (especially the local authors like Donaldson, Zelazny, Vardeman and Saberhagen). Then the orders came from corporate: combine the Fantasy and Science Fiction sections. He was heartbroken. The combined sections resulted in half the space and he had to toss something like 400 books (actually he stripped the covers and sent them back to the publishers for a refund*).

After that incident I looked around in other bookstores and discovered that they were doing the same: Fantasy and Science Fiction no longer had separate sections. And it’s been that way ever since. Sometime I think the authors can’t tell the difference now when they write their novels. TV screenwriters obviously can’t tell the difference.

Perhaps we should start a separate thread on this. I have lots to say on the matter. 😉

*Technically he was supposed to trash the stripped paperbacks and he did indeed throw them in the large dumpster behind the store. But then he and I did a little dumpster diving after business hours and recovered what we wanted from the stash. I ended up with 40-50 books and he got well over 100. Later on he gave me his collection when he moved out of town. I still have most of them and they just sit there on the shelf unread. Mostly because a majority of them are not very good. Whenever I move out of my house, I just might trash them.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

@ubikuberalles wrote:

But, than again, network executives have notorious short term memory problems. They forgot BSG was good for them and only remember that Caprica was bad for them (but, then again, Caprica wasn’t space related SciFi, since all the action happened on Caprica and not in space).

You also have to remember that these networks have a whole lot of turnover in upper management. They’re always going through ‘regimes’ and when a new group of clueless managers come into power they’ll probably want to get rid of anything the old group was trying to champion, just to be douchenozzles.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed