When is Red Dwarf coming back?

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction British / Australian SF Red Dwarf When is Red Dwarf coming back?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Has anyone heard anything about the new series supposedly in development at the DAVE network? There’s no info that I can find at the official website. Is the new season going to the backburner?

Heaps and heaps of rumors on the official RD site forums point toward filming starting later this year; main reason seems to be working around Craig Charles’ schedule on the primetime soap Coronation Street (whereas in Back To Earth, they weirdly worked that into the story… which I’m not sure was a great idea).

Ask, and ye shall receive… from Craig Charles, no less!

[LINK]

Two more series of cult sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf are to be filmed, its lead actors have confirmed.

The news of the new instalments of the interstellar sitcom comes after last year’s Easter special, Back to Earth, gained record ratings for the Dave digital channel.

And speaking as he stood in as a guest host on Janice Long’s Radio 2 show, Craig Charles confirmed he will reprise the role of Dave Lister for the new series.

“I can now announce we are going to be doing two more series of it starting in January next year,” he told listeners.

“I got the call today. They said ‘Craig can you do it?’, I said ‘I’ll sort it out’. So I will be able to do it in January.”

Chris Barrie, who plays the hologram Arnold Rimmer, confirmed the plans for a new series, effectively the show’s tenth, to the Coventry Telegraph.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I’m so excited all six of my nipples are tingling!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’m really happy to hear this. I hope they can get the budget to bring Holly back. We already know that Kochanski won’t be a regular, although finding her again might end up being the concept behind the upcoming story arc (if there is one).

So, do you think that in the next two seasons they’ll let us know what happened to the Cat’s species? Will we ever meet any of them? And do you think that being on cable means they won’t have the interference from the BBC that eventually drove off Rob Grant from the show? Maybe, being away from writing sitcoms for so long, he’ll decide to come back. Wishful thinking, I know.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on Norman Lovett returning as Holly. Apparently the disagreement over what they wanted to pay him for Back To Earth, vs. what he wanted to be paid, became pretty acrimonious. Given the show’s history and nature, however, I think it’d be entirely appropriate to just drop Hattie Hayridge back in there without explanation. 😆

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Do you know the what-what of the acrimonious split between Norman and the RD producers? Was Norman being a jerk (or was he just trying to get “ahead”) or were the producers total wankers? Or was it just that they hated each other and simply used the salary disagreement as an excuse to not let Norman appear on the show?

It’s fairly common knowledge by now that Norman was basically trying to get more money than anyone else appearing in the show – even the characters who had the lion’s share of the action. 😯

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

So Norman had a big head.

@ubikuberalles wrote:

So Norman had a big head.

A big floating head. On a screen. Yes.

And now, the obligatory we-won’t-confirm-or-deny-it from Grant Naylor Productions [LINK]…

The Lister actor let slip that there was an intention to film “two more series” in “January next year”. Which is really rather exciting.

Of course, Grant Naylor Productions and Dave – Red Dwarf’s new home channel following the knockout ratings success of Back to Earth – aren’t yet in a position to confirm anything. Indeed, Craig admitted that he’d actually only been approached for date availability. Nothing is, as yet, carved in stone. (As all entertainment contracts have to be. You’ve seen The Flintstones, right?)

No question, though, these are thrilling rumblings. How many episodes we actually get – or when they actually shoot – is a little way from being locked down as yet.

Still – excitin’ innit?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed