What's this?: Ataribox

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Why am I almost afraid this is going to wind up being Lootcrate for vintage gamers and not something actually cool? [LINK]

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

“Atari CEO confirms the company is working on a new game console” [LINK]

Atari began teasing a new product called the Ataribox.The video released on a non-Atari web site showed a picture of some kind of hardware product, but many people wondered if the teaser was fake. Others had no idea what the video was showing about a “brand new Atari product years in the making.”

After all, nobody makes a game console with wood-grain siding. But at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Chesnais told me that the rumors are true.

“We’re back in the hardware business,” he said.

Chesnais declined to describe a lot of details about the console. But he said it is based on PC technology. He said Atari is still working on the design and will reveal it at a later date.

Fun fact: If they roll out a closed-architecture system a la the NES Classic Mini vs. something like the Retron 77 that can actually play my oddball cartridges of old arcade ports that Atari won’t bother to license, they’re going to have a very hard time selling me or anyone else on an AtariBox.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’ve read that the current Atari only has around 11 employees, they are pretty much only a publisher/distributor. And there’s the fact that he said the new console would be based on PC hardware. Maybe it’ll be a Steam-style machine?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed