Tagged: Bill Nye, Doctor Who, Fan films, Iron Fist, Kamen Rider, Marvel's Defenders, MST3K, Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, Red Dwarf, Star Trek Discovery, Star Wars Rebels, Stranger Things, Super Sentai, Supergirl, The Orville, The Tick, Twin Peaks
February 24, 2017 at 7:23 pm #2272
What are we watching in 2017? I’ll dredge up a quick list from my brain.
- Twin Peaks. I’ll give Twin Peaks a la Showtime a try, though if I sense it’s making even less sense than the second year of the original series did after the revelation of Laura Palmer’s killer, I may bail.
- Iron Fist and Defenders. The Netflix Marvel series haven’t been perfect. But they’ve been solidly, consistently entertaining. No reason to expect a misstep now.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000. If there’s just one show, just one, that I could have uncancelled by sheer force of will in the past 20 years, it’s this one. Not Babylon 5, not Firefly…this one. I hope it sets records on Netflix and gets a second year greenlit without having to have a fundraiser. This show has been a cornerstone of my mental health for more than two decades.
- Bill Nye Saves The World. I fully expect this show to become a political football…don’t really care. Until we get a second season of Cosmos, this might be the smartest thing to hit our screens in quite some time.
- Doctor Who Series 10. Peter Capaldi rocks. I hope the writers have turned in scripts worthy of him.
- Star Trek: Discovery. Because we need that Roddenberry idealism back on our screens, stat.
- Red Dwarf XII. If it’s as good as Red Dwarf XI, I am all over this.
- Star Wars: Rebels. It’s just so consistently good. Don’t let the venue (Disney XD) or the animation style lull you into thinking it’s a kids’ show – it gets surprisingly dark and violent at times. And it’s a worthy new chunk of the saga.
- Supergirl. I love how sunny and cheerful this show is – no joke. If I can’t have some Roddenberry-esque stuff back on TV yet, I’ll be happy to soak this up.
- Stranger Things season 2. Man, I hope they don’t screw this up under the ridiculously increased scrutiny. The first season was so good, and it was this thing that came out of nowhere.
I probably left something off the list.
What about you?February 25, 2017 at 10:49 am #9760
I second Red Dwarf and Star Trek: Discovery. I’m cautiously optimistic about MST3K – I loved the show back in the day but after Joel left I stopped watching it regularly, and rarely watched the Sci-Fi Channel run since they seemed less funny than ever before. I find I don’t even watch the old favorites anymore, I just can’t muster up the interest. I hope I can get that old spark back by the time the new show premieres.
There’s a show called Making History that looks like it’ll be good. It’s a comedy from the makers of The Last Man On Earth. A college nerd goes to his black professor and explains that he’s built a time machine inside a duffel bag and he’s been using it to go back in time and date Paul Revere’s daughter. In doing so, he’s screwed up Revere’s history and British troops landed unopposed and the Revolution doesn’t look like it’ll happen. So he and his professor have to set things right. The preview looked really funny, I’m hoping it’ll be great.
I’ll give the next run of Doctor Who a shot, but I’ve lost interest in it. I don’t have the enthusiasm anymore. It’s a shame since Capaldi can do amazingly well in the role if it’s written right, but that’s where it keeps falling down at. He deserves better.February 25, 2017 at 9:53 pm #9761
Uhhhhh….. Uchuu Sentai Kyuranger? Just don’t have time at the moment.
“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene KranzSeptember 13, 2017 at 4:37 pm #21196
Time to revisit this half a year on. There’s a lot of stuff I plan on watching this fall – a lot more than usual:
- Star Trek: Discovery
- The Orville
- Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams
- Red Dwarf XII
- Star Wars: Rebels
- Stranger Things season 2
- Last 2 episodes of Star Trek Continues
That’s…quite a list, at least for me. Inhumans and Supergirl…need to be really good. I’m getting a bit comic-book-show’ed-out.
I’m interested in Stargate Origins as well, but as it’s being set up as yet another show-behind-a-paywall…I have doubts as to whether I’ll ever get to see it.September 13, 2017 at 7:37 pm #21198
Beyond Kamen Rider Build and Uchu Sentai Kyuranger, nothing. And, I’m barely keeping up with those two series.
“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene KranzSeptember 14, 2017 at 2:09 pm #21211
September 15, 2017 at 12:26 pm #21219
Oh man, I keep forgetting the Tick is out there now, or at least part of its first season.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.