Warcraft III: Reforged… and the bad reception

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming Warcraft III: Reforged… and the bad reception

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ZLothZLoth

From VentureBeat:

Warcraft III: Reforged is a harsh lesson in reviving classic games

Warcraft III: Reforged came out earlier this week, and the response online has been full of negativity and angst.

Part of it is a reaction to some scaling back that Blizzard Entertainment did for the project. When it announced Warcraft III: Reforged in 2018, it promised things like upgraded cinematic cutscenes with movie-like camera angles, a new UI, and new voice-overs. In this week’s release, the UI looks like the original’s, and the game retains the original voices and simple cinematics.

Then there are the other problems. People experiencing bugs and connectivity issues. The release of Reforged also coinciding with the death of the original Warcraft III client, which means the removal of features like clans and automated tournaments. Then you have Blizzard’s declaration that it singularly owns anything that is created with the game’s custom map tools.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

From Forbes:

‘Warcraft 3: Reforged’ Has A Record Low 0.8 Score On Metacritic As Fans Are Furious

Blizzard is not exactly a developer looking for any more bad news after the last couple of underwhelming years, and yet they have blundered into what could be one of their biggest controversies yet, the rather horrendous release of Warcraft 3: Reforged.

Fans were previously looking forward to a remastered, upgraded version of Warcraft 3 back when the idea was announced. WoW Classic went pretty well, and everyone thought that WC3 with some improvements to bring it into the modern era sounded like a slam dunk.

Instead it’s more like Blizzard tried to throw a buzzer-beater from their own foul line and hit a small child in the stands.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

The ‘Warcraft 3: Reforged’ Metacritic Review Bombing Campaign Has Escalated

Two days ago I wrote a story about how players of Warcraft 3: Reforged were disappointed with the final release, and were channeling their anger into review bombing the game on Metacritic.

The result? An almost unheard of low score of a 0.8 when I wrote that article, based on 6,000 reviews. I said I couldn’t find a lower score on the site, though someone pointed out to me later the 0.4 user score for Day One: Garry’s Incident, albeit based on a much, much lower vote total (and the game isn’t even scored by critics at all).

Well, things have…escalated since I wrote that article. Possibly even because of that article, given that it went somewhat viral on reddit yesterday.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.