VWORP!1

This topic contains 23 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I’m making a real sprint-toward-the-finish-line effort to get this ready in time for OVGE. I wish I could slap my hand on my desk and say “It will be done!”, but there’s so much other crap going on here, and my desk is getting pretty old and I’m afraid it’d collapse.

It will be done.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So, how much is the price range going to be? And in the same vein, would you have charged slightly more for the Tulsa Trek books since they’ve got a more expensive table and are a little bit dickish to people wanting fan tables?

The cover price, and the price on Amazon, will be $20. It’s a pretty thick book. You could probably bludgeon someone into unconsciousness with it and then look up how many episodes the Daleks have shown up in. 😆

As a general rule, if me and Dinsdale are handing them out, they’ll be marked down a bit; the signage I’ve been preparing for OVGE (which would’ve been reused at TTE) says $18.

I’ll be doing a contest on my blog to give a copy away sometime Real Soon – watch this space.

I haven’t firmed up any ebook plans as yet – there’s been too much wrangling the physical edition into existence to get my head around that just yet.

FYI, I’ve shifted the price range a little bit. General retail will be $18; OVGE table price will be $15.

Or, you could just win a copy for free.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I can easily identify all the relics for the contest. I know I’m supposed to send an email, but I’m dealing with computer issues at the moment (I’m about to dismantle a Mac Mini and upgrade it to be my primary machine and haven’t set it up for my email account yet) so I’ll just post the list here.

1 – a TARDIS, standing for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.
    2 – Daleks, classic salt-and-shaker looking villains from Doctor Who.
    3 & 4 – Judging from the covers which are clearly visible (and also going by my own copies), those are TheLogBook.com’s Phosphor Dot Fossils DVD, one and two.
    5 – a wind-up toy of Q•Bert.
    6 – an extremely rare sight, a toy based on the Liberator from Blake’s 7.
    7 – a Liberator teleport bracelet (I really want to know where you got that thing at!).
    8 – a NASA space shuttle, obviously, but I can’t tell which particular version it is. Could it be the Enterprise, going by the aerodynamic cowl over the engines for glide testing?
    9 – The USS Enterprise-D, one of the most ungainly designs ever to come out of Starfleet’s shipyards in my opinion.
    10 – Infocom’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, although I can’t tell for what system its for. I personally own the Atari computer version along with my original TI-99/4A version.
    11 – a Star Trek: TNG medical tricorder.
    12 – the fourth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver.
    13 – R2-D2, from Kenner’s classic early line of oversized Star Wars figures that my sister lovingly collected back in the day.
    14 – a Kenner Yoda hand puppet, which still went into my sister’s collection since the company never made a giant Yoda figure.
    15 – Pac-Man for the Atari 2600, looking quite factory new on that shelf.
    16 – K. C. Munchkin for the Odyssey 2, looking a little more played with than the Pac-Man behind it.
    17 – a Vorlon encounter suit from Babylon 5, with an ambassador inside it. Wasn’t his name Kosh? (trick question, they’re all named Kosh)
    18 – an Apollo mission module, I can’t identify which particular one it is, other than it’s not Apollo 13 since there’s no damaged side panel on it.
    19 & 20 – ah, yes, the cherry on the top of this contest; Coleco’s tabletop versions of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. True classics, although earplugs are recommended.

Current Amazon rankings:

#467,486 in Books (US)
    #350,536 in Books (UK)

😆 I’ll be happy if I ever break into the top quarter-million.

I carpet-bombed a bunch of the fan/news sites with a press-release-ish announcement about the book; haven’t seen a single mention pop up anywhere. I got one response from my news submissions, which was “We’ll mention it if there’s a slow news day.”

I… uh… thanks?

Also, we have a WINNAH. Very few entries (and some of them a day late!), but only one person nailed it from top to bottom – SteveW!

@Steve W wrote:

6 – an extremely rare sight, a toy based on the Liberator from Blake’s 7.
    7 – a Liberator teleport bracelet (I really want to know where you got that thing at!).

These were the two that were really intended to throw everyone. The teleport bracelet is a custom job by a US fan (if you look close, the round buttons are the same metal button covers you find on pants and jeans, and the asymmetrical shiny patterns are just reflective auto pinstriping tape), but it’s a really nice one. Even has the hinged opening/closing action. Beats the crap out of the one I tried to make when I was a kid – I used shiny write-protect-defeat stickers intended to be placed over the write-protect notches on floppy disks.

@Steve W wrote:

8 – a NASA space shuttle, obviously, but I can’t tell which particular version it is. Could it be the Enterprise, going by the aerodynamic cowl over the engines for glide testing?

The toy doesn’t actually name the shuttle, but out of my small “fleet” of vintage toy space shuttles, yes, this one has always been the Enterprise because of the spoiler on the back.

@Steve W wrote:

10 – Infocom’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, although I can’t tell for what system its for. I personally own the Atari computer version along with my original TI-99/4A version.

Apple version.

@Steve W wrote:

18 – an Apollo mission module, I can’t identify which particular one it is, other than it’s not Apollo 13 since there’s no damaged side panel on it.

It’s from an Apollo 11 playset, though I think they all looked the same from the outside (minus the aforementioned Apollo 13 with the sun roof unexpectedly added to its command module). Getting it to stand up straight like that was a feat – the engine is on a trackball-esque connection (as in real life) and it very quickly succumbs to gravity and leans over. Such poor posture for a mighty moon machine.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

And I finally changed my password so I can access the forum here with my new (to me) Mac Mini, just in time to see that I won. Hurray!

Honestly, I thought the contest was especially easy. I guess that goes to the caliber of nerd that I am, even down to the Space Shuttle Enterprise’s cowl. And as for the teleport bracelet, you could have always done what the British show Blue Peter did, and make your own out of cereal boxes, plastic bottles and stickyback plastic silver tape. I’ve got a documentary about the show where the prop guy mentions that when the cast and crew had misplaced the majority of the teleport bracelets over time, he followed Blue Peter’s instructions and built a bunch of temporary replacements until they managed to manufacture ‘real’ ones.

A quick addendum: when I described the Daleks, I meant to type out “salt-and-pepper-shaker looking villains”.

😮

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

Current Amazon rankings:

#467,486 in Books (US)
    #350,536 in Books (UK)

😆 I’ll be happy if I ever break into the top quarter-million.

I carpet-bombed a bunch of the fan/news sites with a press-release-ish announcement about the book; haven’t seen a single mention pop up anywhere. I got one response from my news submissions, which was “We’ll mention it if there’s a slow news day.”

I… uh… thanks?

#76,403 now. W00t!

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Earl, are you planning on doing a second printing? I ask… because… I’ve noticed a few typos and errors here and there that might need to be corrected. I decided to save the book until I’m on vacation and have the time to read it, and I’ve noticed a few things here and there. I don’t have any examples handy, since I’m getting free Wi-Fi at a McDonald’s in Shreveport since I can’t get access out in the boonies, and I didn’t bring the book with me. I’ll have to give you real examples once I get home.

If you get a chance, throw together a list you can send me in a PM next time you get the opportunity, because I’ve spotted a few myself. It’s no problem for me to revise it on the fly.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I just got home, so I’ll be looking the book over and getting examples together. I really should have done it while out of town, being without internet access for a week was a bit of a trial. Not even cellphone coverage out there. I had a lot of time to read the book.

Not to nag, but did you ever get around to compiling any of the errors you ran across?

I only ask because… great plans are afoot. And at hand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed