Uzbekistan bans 34 games, citing threat to "civil peace"

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming Uzbekistan bans 34 games, citing threat to "civil peace"

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From NeoWin:

Uzbekistan bans 34 games, citing threat to “civil peace and inter-religious harmony”

A total of 34 video games have been banned outright in Uzbekistan, effectively rendering import and distribution of the titles illegal in the country. The list is odd, to say the least, with individual games from major franchises being banned, but leaving their sequels and the like untouched.

Although video game bans were a growing issue in the past, the practice is largely reduced nowadays, with countries such as Germany and Australia, well known for their banning and censoring of violent video games, rarely getting in the way of newer games anymore.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

With distribution increasingly shifting from physical media toward downloads, how does this even work? It ends up being a symbolic gesture on paper.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It’s an authoritarian country, mostly Muslim. They could always do a North Korea and block out unwanted internet through what I’m assuming will be a state run ISP. China does a less drastic but fairly similar thing, they even crack down on VPNs.

Carmageddon has a negative viewpoint on Uzbekistan? And… 3D Sex Villa 2? Yeah, I can see that one upsetting religious people.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Here are the IP ranges for the Uzbekistan ISPs. So, you can implement IP blocks to prevent access to the download services if they don’t prevent the downloads.

And, oh yeah, prevent the use of VPNs as well.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed