Urban legend Atari E.T. game to be dug up

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Gaming History Urban legend Atari E.T. game to be dug up

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

Urban legend Atari E.T. game to be dug up on its 30th anniversary

Of course ,they also mention the game Polybius. Huh? This is the first I’ve heard of this game.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Ah, Polybius. A nice little urban legend about shady government types using arcade games for psychological experimentation on teenagers, it’s story seems to grow each year. I’m amazed that nobody has mocked up a MAME ROM and touting it as the real thing. All the copies of the game were whisked away, never to be seen again. They were probably all stored on the unused soundstage that the fake moon landing footage was filmed on.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From IGN:

The Dig: Uncovering the Atari E.T. Games Buried in New Mexico Desert
    They’ve found them.

Update: Atari 2600 copies of E.T. The Extra Terrestrial have been discovered in the Almagordo, New Mexico desert. IGN is on site and snapping photos of the excavation. Check out a screenshot gallery of what’s been found

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

And as always, the same incorrect ideas are thrown around once again. E.T. didn’t kill Atari, Atari killed Atari. E.T. was an expensive flop, but at the time Atari had 120 buildings across Silicon Valley doing research and development on things like holographics, videophones, and medical equipment, burning through heaps of money just to keep them going. Meanwhile, their management is relying on their cash cow, the Atari 2600, to pay for it all. And yet the 2600 is long in the tooth by now, at one of the most diverse points the video game market has ever been in (I also include home computers, giving kids the promise of making their own games) which is drastically chipping away Atari’s core business. And meanwhile, they can’t come up with a decent replacement for the 2600 other than the designed-by-comittee 5200 which flounders. And Warner Brothers didn’t have a clue what to do, since the video game market moving in waves was a new idea to them.

Basically what I’m saying is that pinning the death of Atari on E.T. annoys me since that’s like saying the Great Chicago Fire started because of a cow kicking over a lantern, when the reality is so much more complex (including the possibility of an asteroid airbursting over the city). Bad management, a constantly evolving video game market, and terrible business practices led to Atari’s downfall, not one single game.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.