Twister (re-release) – Mark Mancina / La-La Land

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media Music Soundtracks Twister (re-release) – Mark Mancina / La-La Land

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Oh yes. Ohhhh yes. Even though, about a month before the theatrical premiere, I had seen the live stage show in downtown Fort Smith (mere hours after speaking to Zloth as I recall), this is one of my favorite ’90s movie soundtracks. Yes, the movie is almost hysterically bad. Yes, the music is still awesome.

On Jan 17, 2017 we have another edition to our long running Expanded Archival Collection:

TWISTER (20th Anniversary Edition)
    Music by Mark Mancina
    LLLCD 1412
    Limited Edition of 3000 units
    Retail Price: $19.98
    Produced by Mike Matessino and Dan Goldwasser
    Edited and Mastered by Mike Matessino
    Liner Notes by Tim Greiving
    Art Direction by Dan Goldwasser

La-La Land Records, Warner Music Group, Warner Bros. Pictures and Amblin Entertainment present TWISTER: EXPANDED ARCHIVAL EDITION. This 20th Anniversary Edition (a tad bit late) has been newly remastered and expanded by Producers Mike Matessino and Dan Goldwasser, fixing all errors from the previous release and making it the best possible listening experience this side of a F-1. Liner notes by Tim Greiving feature new interviews with composer Mark Mancina and director Jan De Bont. Dan Goldwasser helps guide you through his cow flyin’ art direction!

1. Wheatfield (Film Version)** 1:26
    2. The Hunt Begins** 3:51
    3. The Sky** 1:03
    4. Dorothy IV (Film Version) 1:56
    5. The First Twister* 0:49
    6. In the Ditch / Where’s My Truck? 2:00
    7. Waterspouts** 2:49
    8. Cow 5:42
    9. Walk in the Woods* 2:05
    10. Bob’s Road 2:13
    11. Hail No! 2:43
    12. Futility (Film Version) 2:17
    13. Drive-in Twister** 2:57
    14. Wakita (Film Version)** 5:19
    15. Sculptures (Film Version) 3:06
    16. House Visit 4:47
    17. The Big Suck (Film Version)** 1:47
    18. End Title** 2:20

ADDITIONAL MUSIC
    19. Wheatfield (Alternate) 1:33
    20. Waterspouts (Alternate)** 2:50
    21. The Big Suck (Alternate) 1:13
    22. End Title / Respect the Wind§ 9:21
    TOTAL TIME: 64:07

* previously unreleased
    ** contains previously unreleased material
    § written and performed by Edward and Alex Van Halen

I have it on good authority that track 9 is the orchestral overlay that leads into Van Halen’s “Humans Being” as the storm chasers plow through the back roads of Oklahoma. That track is really all I have ever wanted from any expansion of this soundtrack…and you can bet I’ll be mixing myself a version of that song with this cellos-going-crazy opening lead-in.

Re: the “Walk In The Woods” track…turns out this is someone else’s favorite part of the movie too. It’s actually one of the few Twister scenes that rings absolutely true – the movie’s science is laughable, the effects have aged horribly, and in places it’s dumb as a box of rocks, but the appeal of the movie is that I feel like I know every one of the characters, especially the folks on Bill Paxton’s team. Meaning…I’ve met people like that. 😆

Anyway, this is a couple of minutes of my absolute favorite ’90s movie music that wasn’t on the original album, but I’m definitely looking forward to on the reissue.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

As it so happens. Speed was also on sale as a soundtrack. So, I ordered both.

As for the quality of the movie… it’s OK, but got interest up in storm chasing. It was one of the launch titles for DVD in 1997, and the last title released for HD-DVD.

I actually rewatched Twister upon hearing the soundtrack news…and in a way it makes more sense now than it did when it came out. The “science” is still crap, or at least the script’s attempts to use meteorological jargon, but I still like the characters, and the thing is…as silly as it was to say, in 1996, that Cary Elwes’ character was chasing storms “for the money”, you now have broadcast storm chasers (some of them with reality show entourages) and even storm chasing tourist operations doing exactly that…and putting themselves and others in harm’s way. There was a father-and-son team of storm chasers who died in one of the monster OKC tornadoes in recent years, and those guys were pros doing research. If veteran research storm chasers can get killed…what business do thrill-and/or-ratings-seekers have getting in the way?

I just wasn’t attached enough to the Speed soundtrack to do a bundle order; I just got Twister by itself. Might be here tomorrow. I was kinda waffling about ordering it, then two things happened:
    1. I got a rebate check from my car insurance for being a non-terrible driver.
    2. I listened to the sample tracks on La-La Land’s website, including “Walk in the Woods”, which I’ve been waiting 20+ years for.

Yep, that pretty much did it. I might’ve asked Zloth to pick one up for me when he placed his order, but when he sends stuff to me, twisters come with it free of charge anyway. 😆

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed