Twin Peaks season 3 premieres 25 years late

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen Twin Peaks season 3 premieres 25 years late

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    EarlEarl
    Keymaster

Twin Peaks is returning to TV by way of Showtime, with David Lynch at the wheel. [LINK]

Showtime confirmed on Monday that it has given the green light to a nine-episode revival of David Lynch and Mark Frost’s seminal ’90s drama series. This would not be a reboot but a present-day continuation — in the same vein as TNT’s Dallas. Lynch and Frost will pen all nine episodes, with Lynch directing every installment. Production will begin in 2015 and air in 2016, marking the 25th anniversary of the series finale. What’s more, Showtime will re-air the first two seasons of Twin Peaks, in advance of the new episodes airing in 2016.

See… this… or something like it… is what I wish could be discussed with Babylon 5. But you know what? I’ll take Twin Peaks. I admit, somewhat guiltily, to following it closely when it was originally on ABC all those years ago. I think it rewrote the DNA of prime time TV drama more than most people are willing to admit.

Steve WSteve W
    Participant

I don’t think there’s anywhere to go with Babylon 5. Not only was the story completely told in four seasons, what little they could squeeze out of the toothpaste tube of storytelling was used up in season 5. We already know what will happen to the characters, to Earth, and eventually the future of humanity at the poorly rendered end of our solar system. All the continuations and standalone movies they tried afterwards just dimmed the brilliance of the original. It’s done, let the series rest before it’s legacy is too badly tarnished (look at the Highlander franchise, all built on a movie written with no loophole for sequels, for diminishing returns on a once-great story).

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

I’m with Steve: Babylon 5 is done. Nothing wrong with that. The story was finished and I knew what was going to happen to the characters 20 years in the future (which would be about now, I think). A remake or re-imagining is unnecessary. It may not have been perfect but it’s like a fine novel like Moby Dick. It stands on it’s own and requires no sequel or rewrite. If I want to relive Babylon 5 (or Moby Dick), I’ll just re watch (or, in the case of Moby Dick, re-read) it at my leisure.

I’m kind of the same mind with Twin Peaks. Once they solved the murder of what’s-her-face, I lost interest and basically stopped watching the show. I mean I tried watching a few episodes afterward but I got bored. Really REALLY bored. Without the mystery, the characters became irritating.

@ubikuberalles wrote:

Without the mystery, the characters became irritating.

See also: what’ll happen in Broadchurch if there isn’t another murder in season 2.

ZLothZLoth

If there are two franchises that I’m not fond of being revisited, it’s Star Trek and Babylon 5. Stick a fork in them, they’re done. Star Trek had to go into an alternative universe and reboot the original crew for fresh story ideas.

Oddly enough, I would like to see Firefly rebooted and given another shot, but the biggest hangup would be the casting of characters since the original cast was so perfectly cast. Note that I’m not even suggesting that the original cast return,

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

@Earl wrote:

@ubikuberalles wrote:

Without the mystery, the characters became irritating.

See also: what’ll happen in Broadchurch if there isn’t another murder in season 2.

First you will have to wallow through the American version of the show (Gracepoint) staring David Tennant before seeing season 2 of Broadchurch. Basically, it’s the same script. I’ll watch the first episode (it aired two weeks ago so I better get started) to see if the characters are interesting (because I know the plot won’t be since I already know it!) and the series is worth watching. I’m not optimistic.

So I watched all of Gracepoint, the American version of Broadchurch and I was both entertained and bored.

I was bored by the plot and the script: It is essentially the same – episode by episode – as Broadchurch. I knew, for example, what would happen to the Nick Nolte character in the episodes that featured him. I knew about most of the plot twist , though I think they added one or two in the mix or at least changed some of the details.

I was entertained by the performances in the show. David Tennant was excellent, of course, but so was Nick Nolte, Anna Gunn and most of the cast. I enjoyed just watching these guys do their thing even though I knew ahead of time what their thing was.

One major difference between the English and American versions: in the English version the victim was strangled to death – no doubt of intent there – but in the American version, the victim died from blunt force trauma to the head. This plays a key point in the last moments of the season. The same character in both series confessed to the crime and the predictable consequences played out in the last episode. But then, in the final moments, we get a glimpse of what actually happened and it was someone else who delivered the fatal blow. In the final moments of Gracepoint, the David Tennant character figures it out and you see him contemplating on what to do when the credits roll.

The thing is, we’ll never know what will happen in the second season of Gracepoint because it got CANCELED! Wa wa wa. (That was a sad trumpet sound). It got mostly positive reviews (with most critics saying it paled in comparison to the Brit version) but I guess the ratings were not that good. Last month Fox announced it would not renew and the mystery will remain on what was going to be done. The end.

The second season of Broadchurch has already aired on ITV. We won’t see it on BBC America until March.

There’s trouble among the trees – David Lynch is out. [LINK]

Lynch, who had on board to direct the project, tweeted Sunday that money issues have led to his departure. Lynch said that the project was still alive at the network but that “not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done.”

In a statement released to The Hollywood Reporter, a Showtime rep said that the network is disappointed with Lynch’s decision.

“We were saddened to read David Lynch’s statement today, since we believed we were working towards solutions with David and his reps on the few remaining deal points,” the statement read. “Showtime also loves the world of Twin Peaks, and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm.”

Apparently some cast members have taken to Twitter to characterize this as the entire project being canned. Which is probably highly likely.

Looks like Showtime has decided that Twin Peaks will throw down against Star Trek: Discovery in May.

Twin Peaks premieres on Sunday, May 21st at 9pm with a two-hour premiere, which accounts for either one or two of the 18-episode (!) order.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.