The Tick (2017)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

So, has anybody seen it? I’ve got to say, it’s better than I thought it was going to be. Peter Serafinowicz is really great as the big blue guy. His delivery has a lot of Patrick Warburton and even more Adam West in it. I also like how the traditional partnership between the two has been reversed – Arthur is the one with the brains and the Tick is kind of hapless and lost without Arthur. The Tick is sort of a force of nature, constantly pushing Arthur to be the superhero that he knows he can be. Arthur is definitely not the sidekick, the Tick kind of is here.

There’s a lot more meat in this show, there’s an actual story arc happening (something to hook people and get them binge-watching, I’d imagine) and developed characters. The comic, cartoon, and previous live-action series never bothered with those kinds of things, they were mainly about being in a city full of superheroes and bumbling through life. In this new series though, there are no superheroes left in The City since they were killed by the big bad, called The Terror (who in the process of killing said heroes also killed Arthur’s father accidentally). Arthur’s mental state hasn’t been great since then – he’s obsessed with tracking down The Terror and he doesn’t always take his meds. Then the Tick suddenly shows up and drastically disrupts his life – blowing up a bunch of villains and taking a super suit from them, leading said villains to Arthur’s place and setting him on his future path.

The humor from previous versions is here, just not as heavy as it once was. Here it’s a solid story with jokes sprinkled in, whereas it used to be a bunch of jokes with a skeleton of a plot in the older ones. I like it. I like it a lot.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I really dug the pilot. I fully intend to watch the series soon.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Peter Serafinowicz does a much better American accent for the full season than he did in the pilot. Which is always good, when I hear a British person try to talk like an American, they always over-emphasize their “R”s and it trips me up. I don’t hear any dodgy accent work at all now.

Ben Edlund decided to split the season in half, the first six episodes airing all at once and then they’ll post the second six eps later in the year. He apparently doesn’t want people binge watching like that. He wants people to have time to digest the episodes, to contemplate the story rather than just bulldoze through it. I’m okay with that to some extent, and on the other hand I want to see the rest of the freakin’ episodes.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I’ve finally had a chance to start diving into the series. You know how, when the live action revival was first rumored, people said it was Patrick Warburton or nothing? Now I can scarcely envision it any other way than the Peter Serafinowicz version.

I have forgotten what the profanity quotient in the pilot was, but I was really surprised to hear as many S-bombs and F-bombs as I did in the first half-hour alone. I was kind of hoping to share this with E, because it’s his kind of humor. Well, there went that plan.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

My sister was visiting a couple of weeks ago (my brother’s been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, she wanted to come and see how he was doing and help him now that his pancreas can’t create insulin anymore and he’s diabetic) and my brother, nephew, and sister sat around and watched all six episodes on my tiny laptop. I definitely created three new fans of the show.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed