The Simpsons: “Stark Raving Dad” no longer available

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media The Biz The Simpsons: “Stark Raving Dad” no longer available

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ZLothZLoth

I know…. I stopped watching The Simpsons after the fifth season. Still, this is significant and with good reason…

From ScreenRant:

The Simpsons Episode NOT On Disney+

The Disney+ streaming service includes every completed season of The Simpsons, but it’s missing one memorable episode: “Stark Raving Dad”. Here’s why Disney opted out, and why the episode probably won’t be available anytime soon.

As part of The Simpsons season 3, “Stark Raving Dad” originally aired in September 1991. Thematically, it mostly plays out like a normal series episode, full of clever situational comedy. Homer shows up at work wearing a pink shirt, the result of Bart’s washing machine fail. For a surrealistic twist, Homer’s choice of clothing doesn’t go over too well with co-workers, and he’s sent to a mental institution. But while that comedic premise doesn’t hold up especially well in 2019, neither in terms of gender and perceived masculinity nor mental health, that isn’t why Disney chose to keep its distance from “Stark Raving Dad.” Instead, it’s the episode’s celebrity cameo that’s problematic for the Disney brand.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

From another article (sorry, no link), it is said that Michael Jackson used this episode to lure boys into sexual exploitation.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

I know a lot of people said that this episode would probably be “disappeared” under Disney ownership. Looks like they called it.

ZLothZLoth

It’s not the first time that an TV series episode have been completely yanked due to issues. Off the top of my head, the original Hawaii 5-0 second season episode Bored, She Hung Herself aired on January 7th, 1970. A viewer decided to replicate the technique on the show, killed themselves, and sued CBS. As a result, the episode was never rebroadcast, never syndicated, and the DVD set of that season lacks the word “complete” as that episode is missing.

The problem is that the episode was already released on the season three DVD set ages ago, so if you really look hard enough, I’m sure you can find a copy. (No, don’t look at me, I never collected The Simpsons as a series.) There are other series that had episodes pulled from syndication which still showed up in home media releases.

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

A viewer decided to replicate the technique on the show, killed themselves, and sued CBS

Wait…what? I know you meant their families sued CBS but, upon first read, it had a surreal quality to it. I wonder if the original “Harold and Maude” movie had a similar problem with viewers replicating suicide scenes.

I remember and liked the Michael Jackson episode. Shame they had to cut it.

EarlEarl
    Keymaster

*starts drawing a picket sign for undead tort reform*

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.