The Orville

Tagged: 

This topic contains 57 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I ended up watching a few episodes of season 2. A lot of cringeworthy moments as I’ve come to expect from this show, but not as much blatant theft of old Star Trek stories as season 1. I did like that the actors who played doctors on Voyager and Enterprise were essentially pitted against each other in an episode. I still can’t really get behind this show though. I don’t like hardly anyone in the cast, and the comedy that it’s advertised to be is almost non-existent and terrible. Maybe it’ll be like TNG, the first two seasons aren’t great but they took the lesson to heart and became much better later.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Wow. I think perhaps I’ve been watching a different show than you. I really loved season 2. I have to say that I do love all of the cast. It’s taken me a while to warm to Talla, because I loved Alara so much. Still warming up. I think the stories were pretty solid. I did find it quite hard to believe that Claire would fall for Isaac like that. It did remind me pretty much of “In Theory” from TNG.

This was part of my Friday evening ritual these last few months. I would teach till 3:45 in the afternoon, then rush home and download both the new episodes of The Orville and Star Trek Discovery, order some Korean chicken (because, you know, I’m in Korea), and watch the two episodes whilst eating chicken and drinking coke and soju. Pure bliss.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Don’t look at me. Thanks to real life, I’ve only seen the first episode of both Star Trek: Discovery and The Orville, and I saw potential in both. One episode, however, doesn’t make series.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I think both Discovery and Orville have improved much since both their respective first episodes and first seasons.

I thought I was going to have a pretty steep curve getting used to Talla as well, but I’ve gotten to really like her. By the end of the episode where Bortus’ ex faked his own death, I was totally sold.

Anyone who sampled The Orville in season 1 and wasn’t convinced need only watch the Identity two-parter and Sanctuary from season 2 to get a good taste of where the show is now. I think it’s leap-frogged way past the awkwardness of TNG’s early seasons.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

My thing is, I’m not really a fan of The Next Generation. I watched it when it was on, but I have no desire to watch it again. And now here’s a show that’s a tribute to it. If somebody wasn’t a fan of Star Wars, why would they want to watch Starcrash? Other than watching a young David Hasselhoff fight stop-motion animated robots with a “laser sword”, that is. What The Orville is doing a homage to I found dull. So I already have a bias against it. The two-parter Identity was pretty decent, but it wasn’t enough to turn me around.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Totally understand. That makes sense. It is very much incredibly TNG-like, so if Next Gen isn’t your cup of tea, you might not be as enamored with it as others. I’m a huge lover of TNG in particular, so I unabashedly adore The Orville.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

In my opinion, TNG really hit it’s stride in the third through sixth seasons, and Babylon 5 was really good during the second through fourth seasons. Sure, there was a clunker or two in those seasons, and I’m sure that if I were to sit down and re-view those episodes, there will be episodes that quite-didn’t-hold-up.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

We’re over a year away from another season of The Orville…and it’s leaving Fox to land at Hulu. [LINK]

Creator, writer and star MacFarlane made the announcement Saturday afternoon during the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel, noting that the production demands of the increasingly ambitious space dramedy made delivering the series to the network for its planned midseason debut impossible. The series will launch on Hulu in late 2020 after having been off the air for a year and a half. Hulu has been the SVOD home to the first two seasons of The Orville.

With the move, the Disney-owned The Orville will now air on a Disney-controlled platform. The show was originally picked up straight to series at Fox and was produced in-house by 20th TV. The TV studio officially became part of the Disney fold earlier this year when the company’s $71.3 billion acquisition closed. Fox will no longer have to pay a licensing fee to air the drama. What’s more, the move also brings MacFarlane one step closer to ending his relationship with the network whose parent company that also owns Fox News. MacFarlane has repeatedly criticized Fox News and has said he was “embarrassed” to work at the same company. (Following the Fox asset sale, he now is a Disney employee whose show, Family Guy, is licensed to Fox Entertainment.)

“The Orville has been a labor of love for me, and there are two companies which have supported that vision in a big way: 20th Century Fox Television, where I’ve had a deal since the start of my career, and Fox Broadcasting Co., now Fox Entertainment, which has been my broadcast home for over 20 years. My friends at the network understood what I was trying to do with this series, and they’ve done a spectacular job of marketing, launching and programming it for these past two seasons,” MacFarlane said. “But as the show has evolved and become more ambitious production-wise, I determined that I would not be able to deliver episodes until 2020, which would be challenging for the network. So, we began to discuss how best to support the third season in a way that worked for the show. It’s exactly this kind of willingness to accommodate a show’s creative needs that’s made me want to stick around for so long. I am hugely indebted to Charlie Collier and Fox Entertainment for their generosity and look forward to developing future projects there. And to my new friends at Hulu, I look forward to our new partnership exploring the galaxy together.”

The show’s move arrives as MacFarlane’s overall deal with now Disney-owned 20th Century Fox TV expired last month. Sources tell THR that many, if not all, the major media companies have been pursuing what will likely be a monster nine-figure overall deal with MacFarlane, who has created multibillion-dollar franchise Family Guy.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

Is this good news or not so good? How should this be interpreted?

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Unless you were wanting more Orville this year, and were wanting it on a free over-the-air channel, it’s generally good news. Seth has clarified some other benefits – episodes can be longer and have a little more room to breathe, and no notes from the network suits.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I don’t mind waiting longer, and I torrent everything, so good news then.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

My reaction: meh. Since I am spending tons of money already on my cable TV, Amazon and NetFlix, I’ve adopted the “not one more penny” philosophy when it comes to streaming. That means I haven’t watched the new Star Trek because I’m not willing to pay for CBS streaming. That will also mean I’ll miss the Orville since I don’t want to spend money on Hulu.

In summary: meh.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The only reason why I even have Hulu is that it was a black Friday deal. Come end of the year, it’s gone. That leaves Criterion Channel, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. My mom is paying for DirecTV Now (to be called AT&T Now) just so that she watch the bleeping Hallmark Channel.

One thing you might consider is which channels you actually watch, then comparing online services. You might actually save some money. Here is a comparison service:

Live TV Streaming Matchmaker provided by The Streamable.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.