The Orville

This topic contains 33 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

The Fox trailer looks interesting.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

I think we can actually put the embedded player code in the forums now.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I’m intrigued. But, then again, I was intrigued when I first saw the trailer for “A Million Ways to Die in the West”. That movie was a disappointment.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

At first glance it looks pretty interesting, but once you think about it you get to thinking that it’ll burn itself out pretty quick. Mostly it’s a TNG parody, and they seem to be going for broad, obvious jokes rather than anything really clever and thought-provoking. I’ll watch it, but I have the feeling I’ll give up after a few episodes.

The Orville itself is an unusual ship design, there’s a bit of the Andromeda Ascendant mixed with a bit of the Protector from Galaxyquest and the Vulcan ringships from Enterprise. I give them credit for trying to go a new direction with ship design. Too bad the bridge looks pretty cardboard and uninteresting.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Some interesting stuff here, including mentions that the show’s directors include Jonathan Frakes, Robert Duncan McNeill, and Brannon Braga. [LINK]

MacFarlane is best known for his animated comedies Family Guy and American Dad, so it’s unsurprising that the Fox trailer focused on the funnny side of The Orville. But MacFarlane sought to clarify that The Orville is not just for laughs.

Speaking to Inside Edition, MacFarlane said, “It’s not Family Guy in space.” And he was more specific with AP, saying,

“It probably has more in common with Star Trek than Futurama. It is an hour-long show so we have to tell a story…The show is being promoted leaning on the comedy – and we like the promo a lot – but I think people will be surprised that we are digging a little deeper. We are servicing the science fiction aspect as well.”

And he told Access Hollywood:

“I think it is going to surprise people that we do do our heavy lifting – or least we try to – with the actual work of writing thoughtful science fiction. It’s not really as ch Galaxy Quest as it’s being billed as. We’re digging a little deeper.”

He also seems to be specifically talking about Star Trek: The Next Generation when discussing a more optimistic tone for The Orville:

“The 90s was kind of a heyday for thoughtful sci-fi to me. Everything we were kind of fed was utopian and aspirational and now all we are getting is The Hunger Games. There is an attempt to infuse a lot of that into this show. And hopefully make it funny along the way.”

I’ll just say that I find these quotes far more interesting than the trailer.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

In all fairness, based upon the trailers, I’m actually looking forward to seeing The Orville more than Star Trek: Discovery. And, to be fair, Seth MacFarlane was one of the executive producers of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey.

But, then again, this is Fox Television we are talking about, and there are long memories of what happened to a Firefly.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Premieres on Thursday, September 28th.

I’ve added that and a few additional weeks of likely airdates to the forum event calendar.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Seth McFarlane has revealed that Bruce Broughton (Buck Rogers season 2, 1990s Lost In Space movie) and Joel McNeely (Young Indiana Jones, Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire) will be doing the music for The Orville, and they’ll be budgeted for a full orchestra.

At least we know it’s going to sound awesome.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

New trailer from SDCC.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Saw the first episode this evening. Of course, this was after seeing Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan – Director’s Cut in the theater.

Reaction: Meh. There is some potential, but right now, there is hardly any chemistry between the characters, and the writing needs to be tightened up. It isn’t bad, but it isn’t great either.

It will rerun this Tuesday….

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

That’s what I’ve read so far, it’s an okay but generic sci-fi show that isn’t funny enough to be a comedy, and isn’t serious enough to be a good Trek-wannabee. I’m currently downloading it off iTunes, I plan on watching it tonight.

One thing I read is that they’re using a lot of miniatures instead of CG models for ships, so I’ll be on the lookout for that.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

So help me, I liked it. It hit me as being the working-class Star Trek that Enterprise wanted to be, but wasn’t.

And…it’s episode 1. Kinda baffled at the oodles of hate I’m seeing on Twitter especially – you guys are at least saying “well, meh”…lots of Twitter users are just bashing away at it.

We need no longer fear the banana.

k8track
    Participant

I finally saw it last night. I rather enjoyed it. Quite a lot, actually. It totally clicked with me. I thought the tone was perfect, and it’s exactly what I expected. I haven’t read any reviews of it and I’m not on Twitter (thankfully), so I haven’t seen anything negative, other than what I’ve been hearing second-hand. Like Earl, I totally don’t get that. I think it’s a pretty cool show, and I hope it’s around for a good while. I enjoy it when movies and TV are able to successfully strike that delicate and elusive balance of parody and pastiche.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

From what I saw, it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great either. It’s all in the writing and characters. I see what Seth McFarlane, and it’s going to take time.

I’m not going to try and compare it with, oh say, Encounter At Farpoint. Why not? For starters, E@F was thirty years ago, and took place in a different television landscape and different entertainment environment.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Yeah, now that they’ve got the heavy chore of character and premise introduction out of the way, they can focus on stories. I was a bit underwhelmed by it, I’m hoping it gets better. And like everybody else here, I don’t get the negativity of everybody online. Other than the internet’s need to sling critisizm and put everything down as much as possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed