The obsessive Steam collectors who own more than 10,000 games

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Computer Gaming The obsessive Steam collectors who own more than 10,000 games

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

(Because this topic didn’t transfer over, I am reposting it fresh here)

From PC Gamer:

The obsessive Steam collectors who own more than 10,000 games
    What drives these gamers to spend thousands of dollars on thousands of games? They all have their own stories.

Like all the best origin stories, Hyptronic’s began with Half-Life 2. After receiving a Steam key for Half-Life 2 with his graphics card, Hyptronic found he had to install Valve’s clunky new software to play the most-anticipated PC game of all time. He had no idea what he was getting himself into when he registered his first game on Valve’s nascent platform. Thirteen years and 10,908 games later, Hyptronic has built one of the largest Steam libraries in the world, with a total account value of $83,208 according to his SteamDB profile. And yes, he uses SteamGuard.

Thanks to Humble Bundles and steep sales, Hyptronic’s only spent a fraction of that $83,208, but it’s still a lot of money to invest in something that exists on the other side of the monitor. You can’t exactly invite your friends over to admire your Steam library, after all.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

10,000 Steam games… okay then.

I’m trying to remember if I weighed in on this before. But just for giggles, I’m also going to tie this into the “best emulation” thread, in which an all-in-one emulation solution was mentioned.

The other day I opened my Atari 2600 emulator on my PC…and just stared at the list of ROMs. And holy cow, it’s a lot of ROMs. Short of any homebrews in the past few years, it’s every game ever made for that system. Which one do I want to play? Something I know and love, or something I haven’t spent much time with, or something I haven’t spent any time with?

Spoiler: I got up and folded laundry and watched Twin Peaks instead.

10,000 games would hit me the same way as that overwhelming feeling of looking at a ROM directory if I have no clear idea what I want to play. Where to even start? I do best if I actually have a specific task/goal attached to my gaming: I have to play this Odyssey2 game for the podcast. I need to play some games and do Phosphor Dot Fossils write-ups, so let’s do two console titles from different eras, one arcade game, and one computer game, and that’s a month’s worth of weekly articles. E wants to play a LAN skirmish of Dune 2000.

Too many options, and it actually stresses me out in a weird kind of way. 10,000? Screw that. I’m gonna watch Twin Peaks and fold some laundry.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

To be fair, I only have ~1,000 games in 11 years of having Steam (number is approximate because title count also include game betas), plus about 15-20 games each on uPlay (Ubisoft) and Origin (Electronic Arts). I know why I have so many unplayed games. I have picked up games intending to play them later, but real life has intruded some many times (e.g. moving to bad schedules). Some of the games came with the Humble Bundle as part of the package when I was interested in just 2-3 games from that package. (Street

Another cause for huge game size… some of the games are freaking huge. While many games are between 500MB to about 6GB, there are some games that go up to 45GB in size (Far Cry 4 for example). How long will it take to download on my 15Mb home connection? Here’s a calculator. I have spent the past two weeks downloading every Steam, uPlay, Origin, and Blizzard game I own and then turning around and backing them up to Vaultron. 3.5 Terabytes later, and now I can restore a game and play a game within a few minutes. Because of that huge backlog, I don’t even consider a game unless it’s part of a “Game Of The Year” package with all of the DLC and the price is below $20.

But, collecting fifteen…. thousand…. games… and with a 96.3% unplayed ratio… that’s simply hoarding.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed