The first arcade game to generate color graphics was…

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Arcade Gaming The first arcade game to generate color graphics was…

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gapporin 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

…not Galaxian or Sea Wolf II as previously thought (and as my own DVD project, ‘ere so many years ago, proclaimed). It was a short-run variant of Atari’s 1973 coin-op, Gotcha. 😯 [LINK]

Gotcha may have been first in another category too. Supposedly, a small number of color versions were produced, and if they were released at the same time as the black and white version, in October of 1973, then they would likely be the first color arcade games in history. As far as I know, no one has seen one of these machines for decades. If you search “Color Gotcha” Atari you will find only a handful of pages of links, almost all of which are irrelevant. You will find no images or video. We’re talking about the first color arcade game in history! How can there be no images online? I set out to change that.

It’s a lengthy, technical blog post by Ed Fries, but totally worth it when you get to the video at the end.

Wow. Everything we thought we knew…was wrong.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

Wow. Everything we thought we knew…was wrong.

Gapporin
    Participant

Figured it was going to be this:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed