‘The Culling Has Begun’: Inside the iHeartMedia Layoffs

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Media The Biz ‘The Culling Has Begun’: Inside the iHeartMedia Layoffs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ZLothZLoth

From Rolling Stone:

‘The Culling Has Begun’: Inside the iHeartMedia Layoffs
    The largest radio company in America cut a number of employees this week, dealing a blow to local radio across the country

The largest radio conglomerate in the country, iHeartMedia, initiated a round of mass layoffs this week, cutting enough people that one former on-air host described Tuesday as “one of the worst days in on-air radio history.” The layoffs were concentrated in small and medium markets, where staffs had already been reduced, striking another major blow to local radio.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” —IBM Manual, 1925

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

Meh. We have a bunch of iHeart stations in ABQ. About 30, I think. Many of them have local DJs; certainly the stations I listen to have local DJs. Morning shows with local personalities are the big money makers here. I guess I should not be surprised if they get replaced with a computerized playlist or non-local personalities.

ubikuberallesubikuberalles

Anyone hear from anyone who was personally affected by the layoffs?

Shortly after the layoff was announced I found a list from iHeart detailing who got laid off and where. In the ABQ area only one employee was laid off and that was from a station I do not listen to.

The station I do listen to regularly (KPEK) had a minor change recently: the afternoon DJ (don’t remember her name) quit the station to take another DJ job elsewhere (I don’t know if it was in town or not). Maybe she took the slot vacated by the laid off employee (I don’t even know if she stayed with or left iHeart)? The late morning DJ, Ryan, took the afternoon slot and I don’t know if they replaced Ryan with another live person or just added more pre-recorded programs. I only listen to the station in the early mornings and late afternoons (going to and from work). I know this station already has some pre-recorded programs on the station (some kind of romance show on after midnight and Ryan Seacrest has a countdown top hits show Saturday mornings) but I don’t know if they recently increased purchased / pre-recorded programming.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.