The Atari action figures you never knew you wanted

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Phosphor Dot Fossils Collectibles The Atari action figures you never knew you wanted

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

…until now, anyway. [LINK]

A lot of classic Atari titles received very little merch (or none at all), which is why some of these games have endured as classics, in my opinion. If Atari had been shoving merchandise down our throats for every franchise, maybe we all would’ve grown sick of these games.

Either way, if Atari had decided in the 80’s to cash in on their popular games, this is exactly what their toys would’ve looked like (in my opinion). While the last batch of Atari figures I made were constructed from vintage GI Joes, these were made from vintage Kenner Star Wars toys, giving them a classic 80’s look.

Part of me kinda goes into a slow-motion NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! scream at the thought of mangling Kenner-era Star Wars figures. On the other hand, it’s not like he’s disfiguring Yakfaces and Amanamen left and right.

Now go forth and make a Nolan Bushnell figure out of General Madine.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

The Space Invaders one makes me want to shoot first.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I guess the helmet bonds with your head, missile commander.

Ah – it turns out this is the same guy who kitbashed a bunch of GI Joes into “Activision action figures” some time back.

I sense a theme here. 😉

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Where’s my Bentley Bear figure?

Will the second wave include Major Havok, the player’s character from Tempest, or possibly the star of the game Adventure?

@Steve W wrote:

the star of the game Adventure?

It’s not as if there isn’t precedent for this last one…

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I guess 2600 Adventure cosplay is not a thing since you’d be dressed as a dot…or a duck. Dressing up as the invisible dot would be a major challenge: you either show up naked (invisible dot = invisible costume) or you don’t show up to the convention but tell everyone you were there…just invisible.

Oh, wait, you could dress up like the bat and run around the convention floor stealing items (and discarding what you already had) just like the bat. That’s a quick trip to the jail.

More customs bastardized from Kenner Star Wars and ’80s GI Joes. Sigh.

Mario is a Bespin guard.

On the one hand, they’re neat. They’re cute. I love them.

On the other hand…you just trashed Kenner Star Wars and ’80s GI Joe figures. I kinda hope they were in sorry shape to begin with and this gives them a new lease on little plastic poseable life.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed