The annual "Firefly is coming back?" hysteria

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen The annual "Firefly is coming back?" hysteria

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ZLoth ZLoth 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

The Science Channel has been showing reruns of Firefly and scoring better ratings than anything that’s got actual science in it, and so they’re sponsoring a 10th anniversary reunion of the cast at San Diego Comic Con, thus sparking the latest round of “OMG they’re gonna renew Firefly!” hysteria. [LINK]

US network Science Channel, who are sponsoring the panel (they currently air repeats of the show) promise “numerous buzz-worthy surprises”.

Could one of these be the announcement of further shiny adventures for Captain Tightpants and his crew? Maybe. Hopefully!

See, we know Whedon and co are no strangers to the Con, but to set up one of these panels costs a small fortune and are therefore exclusively put together to pimp a product. And with DVDs and Blu-rays of both FIREFLY and SERENITY already long bled-dry, what’s really left for Whedon to promote? Zip.

Unless… has a deal with 20th Century Fox (current rights owners) and the Science Channel been struck for new episodes? It’s no secret that Whedon would love to get the show back into production, samsies for every one of the actors involved. And now the Whedon-helmed AVENGERS ASSEMBLE has grossed over a billion dollars at the worldwide box office (with more cash to come once it drops on DVD/Blu), the writer/director/all-round-genius is carrying some serrrrious clout around Hollywood for the first time in his long career. (Try shit-canning one of his projects now, we dare you!)

Don’t get me wrong, I liked Firefly. I’m just wondering how many times fandom can get itself worked up about the possibility of renewing a show that lasted half a season, ten years ago. Granted, a certain British show that I like has “never say never” written into its DNA, but it had run for decades already before cancellation, the dry spell, and the return. And I can’t see the Science Channel ponying up for new episodes of an effects-heavy series.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The only way it would work is if Joss has a full season commitment and the series is rebooted with a new cast.

I just looked out the window. No flying pigs.

Yes, I have the series and the movie on DVD and BluRay.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

@zloth wrote:

I just looked out the window. No flying pigs.

Bingo. Thought as much.

Probably some new Blu-Ray release with half a dozen additional interviews. If even that.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

And let’s face it, Nathan Fillion isn’t looking as “Captain Tightpants” as he used to. This last season of Castle he seems to have put on a few, especially in his face.

I’d jump up and down if the show was renewed, but I can see that everybody’s moved on and there’s little chance of it happening. You can look at cancelled shows like Futurama and Family Guy (both axed by Fox, the bastards) that have made it back to the airwaves, but circumstances like that are rare. An animated show is far less expensive than a live action science-fiction hour long program. I won’t get my hopes up.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Maybe they’ll just do voice acting for an animated version of the show like Star Trek did in 1973 with Filmation. Or just do audio plays for an American version of Big Finish.

/Just keeping the pot stirred

@ubikuberalles wrote:

Maybe they’ll just do voice acting for an animated version of the show like Star Trek did in 1973 with Filmation.

I’m totally on board with this, so long as:

• The animation is just as craptacular, for nostalgia’s sake
    • They use the same music library as ST:TAS & Jason of Star Command, just like every third show Filmation crapped out

That could be gloriously bad. And yet good enough to be a guilty pleasure. 😆

A-ha! [LINK]

Firefly is getting a shiny new TV special.

To celebrate the cult-favorite sci-fi drama’s 10th anniversary, Science Channel is shooting a new one-hour special chronicling the Firefly cast reunion at Comic-Con this week.

The special — titled Browncoats Unite — will include footage from Friday’s reunion panel, featuring several members of the original team including star Nathan Fillion and creator Joss Whedon. Plus, the cast is shooting an in-depth behind-the-scenes roundtable interview that will dive deeper into burning fan questions about the beloved series. Both the panel and the roundtable will be moderated by Entertainment Weekly‘s own Jeff Jensen.

“Firefly is a landmark work of science fiction and a favorite with our viewers,” said Debbie Myers, general manager and executive vp of Science. “Ever since it premiered on Science, fans have asked us to do something special to mark its 10-year anniversary. With this signature celebration, punctuated by Browncoats Unite, we will connect the minds behind this classic franchise with its legions of passionate fans.”

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’d rather have a one-hour special of the actual show, not another fan convention video. But then, that’d cost millions to do and a con video costs hundreds. What’s more likely for a network to choose?

The 2014 round of “Firefly is coming back?” is now in full swing, thanks to Tim Minear. I do like his suggestion though: make a few, and make ’em good. [LINK]

Minear acknowledges that a major hurdle in making new Firefly episodes is that many of the folks who worked on the show are incredibly busy. However, he says that he doesn’t view a Firefly reunion as an impossibility, especially with the rise of limited series television:

“I’m completely talking off the top of my head, but there’s a show that’s been on for the last couple years that’s reinvented the form in terms of the limited series. I’m trying to think of the name of that show — Oh yes! American Horror Story! It doesn’t have to be 13 episodes. Look how Sherlock does it.”

Finally, somebody’s cooking with gas.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’d like it if they didn’t pick up right after Serenity ended, I’d like to see them age appropriate in their roles. None of that Red Dwarf stuff, proclaiming Lister is still in his mid-20s when he’s actually in his late-30s sort of thing. I’d like to see the proper amount of time between the events in Serenity and now, at least that would explain why everybody’s puffed up a bit. Wash is dead, their kid’s now nine or ten years old with Mal being a surrogate father to him/her, the Alliance has lost a lot of its power but has become more ruthless, we see the crew now older and wiser. There’s rumblings of another uprising against the Alliance, and it’s getting tougher for them to stay hidden away from the authorities.

I’d love for this to come back, I can’t see it happening any time soon. It’s basically like a home-grown Blake’s 7, it’d be fantastic if they could do an Alien Nation-type thing and do some TV movies to keep us up to speed with our favorite crew of smugglers.

@Steve W wrote:

I’d love for this to come back, I can’t see it happening any time soon. It’s basically like a home-grown Blake’s 7, it’d be fantastic if they could do an Alien Nation-type thing and do some TV movies to keep us up to speed with our favorite crew of smugglers.

Well…looks like someone at Fox agrees with you, probably because bringing back the X-Files did so well, but Gillian and David don’t want to do X-Files every year again. [LINK]

In what could be either the most exciting or cruelest tease ever, Fox’s President of Entertainment David Madden has announced that the network is totally on board with a Firefly reboot. The news came during a panel at the Television Critics Association, with Rotten Tomatoes reporting Madden’s willingness to reboot the cult series.

However, there’s one big, obvious catch: Madden has said that creator Joss Whedon would have to be both willing and available to get the ball rolling— which could mean the future doesn’t look so bright for all you Browncoats.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean everyone’s schedules are now freed up to focus on Firefly. Fillion is pretty busy with various TV shows in 2017; Whedon is still working on both Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and an upcoming, untitled WWII horror movie; and Baccarin is now involved with Gotham and possibly Deadpool 2. If Firefly is going to be rebooted, it’s definitely not happening in 2017.

However, Madden’s statement that Fox aren’t going ahead without Whedon’s involvement means the potential reboot would be entirely under the creative control of the same mind who wrote and directed the original. That’s definitely reassuring. Then again, it might just be a way for the network to blame someone other than themselves for Firefly’s lack of triumphant return.

Maybe just as well that Serenity killed Shepherd Book.

On a wider-ranging topic: NBC is bringing back Will & Grace, and Fox already brought back X-Files. Star Trek is coming back (though it’s yet another “generation”), and Doctor Who has come back, though that show’s brilliant format makes it easier to reboot than most. Red Dwarf has returned in fine style.

Challenging question: is this trend really better than the remake-with-a-different-cast kick that Hollywood seems to be on? Or is it just as much a sign that they’re out of ideas? (I know I cited a couple of UK examples there, but this question is really about American broadcasters and studios.)

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

They keep using the word “reboot” rather than “relaunch”. If they reboot the show, I would imagine they’d recast. It would be pretty damn hard to find a group of people who would all have the same amazing chemistry like the old crew had.

I don’t mind the whole restarting of good but ultimately cancelled shows trend (although Heroes Reborn never should have existed from what I hear). And it does come down to the fact that television executives don’t have any imagination or skill to create good shows nowadays, they’re leaning on their old properties that people still love and talk about decades later. Fox won’t ever bring back shows like Herman’s Head or Whoops!, but I totally see why the X-Files was drug back into the spotlight. Especially seeing as how audiences keep splintering because of the hundreds of channels and internet options for viewing shows now, they need to draw upon programs from back in the day that used to pull down ratings that executives would murder for nowadays.

So much of the TV experience now is based in fear – executives are terrified that people might not like a character, or they’re afraid that a setting isn’t the right one. They have to second-guess the creatives that took time to build this world that the show will let us view, and the executives desperately want to sand off any edge it might have to not offend anybody, make it pablum for the masses.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

@Steve W wrote:

and the executives desperately want to sand off any edge it might have to not offend anybody, make it pablum for the masses.

Or, worse yet, in trying not to offend ANYONE, they end up offending EVERYONE.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.