Target novelizations are back!

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Doctor Who Doctor Who Books Target novelizations are back!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

This seems like such a no-brainer, and I wonder why it’s not been done before, except as ironic fan-made cover art.
    Rose

Based on the iconic Target novelisations that retold classic Doctor Who episodes from the 1970s to the 1990s, this new ‘Target Collection’ will be published by BBC Books and Penguin Randomhouse, and will see Davies and Moffat adapt a selection of their own episodes while Colgan adapts the first full episode featuring David Tennant’s Tenth Doctor.

Davies will adapt Rose, the very first episode of the revived Doctor Who, which aired in 2005 and introduced the world to Billie Piper’s Rose Tyler and Christopher Eccleston’s Ninth Doctor. Meanwhile, Colgan is penning the novelisation for Davies’ 2005 festive special The Christmas Invasion: that was the first full outing for Tennant’s popular Tenth Doctor and saw the Time Lord face off against the Sycorax.

Following on from this, Moffat is set to adapt two of his own episodes – 2013 50th anniversary spectacular The Day of the Doctor, which united Tennant and Matt Smith’s Doctors with John Hurt’s previously-unseen War Doctor. Moffat is also planning to adapt upcoming Christmas episode Twice Upon a Time, which airs this December and serves as both Moffat and Peter Capaldi’s Doctor Who swansong.

All four titles will be released on the 2nd April 2018.

Xmas Invasion

Though these covers are fan art that precede this announcement by years, it’d be delightful if they went with a design reminiscent of Target novelizationss in their heyday.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

That’s cool. I’m assuming and hoping they have a PDF or Kindle version of the books so I can add them to my electronic collection of Target books.

Meanwhile, I’m distracted by the blurb on the “Doctor Who Meets Rose” novel: “Rose Wyler is a teenage shop worker…” Teenage? Billie Piper was 23 or 24 years old when she first appeared on Doctor Who. I never considered her a teenager. If there was some dialogue in the show that indicated she was a teenager, I missed it. If I did hear it, I would have dismissed it as unbelievable.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

If you keep reading that back cover blurb, it’s more obvious that it’s a parody. But if I remember correctly, Rose was supposed to be 19 in her first appearance.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Yes, I knew it was a fan-based parody book cover.

Also, I have no doubt the show’s producers wanted the Rose character to be 19 but they picked an actress that was at least 4 years older than that. Thus, when I first watched the show, I was thinking “young 20-something” not teenager.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed