Syfy cancels Alphas

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Alphas, which I’d describe as something of a middle ground between The 4400 and Heroes, has been cancelled by Syfy after two seasons. A lot of former DS9 writers were working on it, including Ira Steven Behr and Robert Hewitt Wolfe.

I have to fess up… I really only watched the first two, and meant to get back to it, just never did. Guess it’s a good thing I didn’t get hooked, huh?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

That’s why I haven’t bothered getting into anything on SyFy. Farscape’s cancellation pissed me off, and since BSG there hasn’t been a single worthwhile thing on their network that would compel me to watch it again. Everything on the network is so insultingly cheap and cheesy, it’s not worth my time to care.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The only thing that I have been watching on SyFy is Face Off, which has active makeup connections to Star Trek, Babylon 5, Angel, Buffy, Heroes, Pirates of the Caribbean… the list goes on and on.

Do they show anything other than cheap horror flicks and ghost hunters on SyFy nowadays?

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Occasionally they accidentally let something of substance and quality get on the schedule and then they swat it like a fly. How Alphas got away with two seasons, I have no idea.

This is why I’m not enthused at the idea of a Blake’s 7 remake on Syfy – well, one of many reasons. It’s also a reason that I’m glad that the BBC didn’t get Doctor Who entangled with Syfy early on, back during the Eccleston season when they were seeking partners to throw money at the show. The way things played out instead, Syfy was incidental to whether or not Who kept going. (Thank you, CBC.)

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@Steve W wrote:

That’s why I haven’t bothered getting into anything on SyFy. Farscape’s cancellation pissed me off, and since BSG there hasn’t been a single worthwhile thing on their network that would compel me to watch it again. Everything on the network is so insultingly cheap and cheesy, it’s not worth my time to care.

No love for Eureka which just finished a five season run?

What about Warehouse 13? It’s still on and just finished season 4.

Granted, there isn’t much going on the Sy-Fy channel but it’s not totally dead yet.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I tried to watch Eureka early on, didn’t hold my interest. Never even heard of Warehouse 13 until it was a couple seasons in. What’s the point of getting invested in a show when it’s going to unceremoniously get the axe when it starts getting good?

Speaking of science fiction shows I became emotionally invested in which got killed well before its time, I’ve been re-watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles again, especially season 2 (the one good thing about iTunes 11 – you can now get access to your old TV purchases without having to pay for them again or reload backups from an external drive) and it was a truly excellent season of television. And a total mind frak season finale that threw you completely off-balance. Then, it was cancelled in favor of Dollhouse, which itself was cancelled immediately after its renewal. TV executives make it so damn difficult for me to care about TV when they have no respect for their viewers or their own productions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.