Super Sentai #35: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Japanese SF and Anime Super Sentai #35: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

So, one of the series that I have been watching is the Super Sentai series called GoKaiger. The theme for this series (which ends in February) is pirates, and the team members can also transform into members of the previous Super Sentai teams. But I digress…

The main villain of the series is Zangyack, and it appears that the set designers decided to reuse the control panels design from the Okuda’s. I wish I had some screen shots to share, but I don’t. 🙁

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

All I care about is seeing the guys from Dynaman again. Is Frankie still the world’s only human outboard motor? Is Juba still able to leap tall trees? Will Nigel Cocrane ever get his music video made? I need to know! 😆

ZLoth
    ZLoth

That video clip is from GoKaiger Episode 1: “The Space Pirates Appear”, which aired on February 13, 2011. The clip was later used in the movie, “Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle”, which premiered on June 11th.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

A little known fact: The original version of Dynaman was a Canadian pilot of sorts, shown in an hour-long block in 1987 with an odd introduction by one of the writers/producers/voice actors discussing the extreme expense in creating this show. On the writing and voice acting staff were four of the five members of The Kids In The Hall (Scott Thompson wasn’t part of it). I wonder if those guys even remember doing that show at all.

For some reason, when I read about a show called Dynaman coming on at 11pm in a TV listing, I grabbed a videotape and cued it up. I still have that tape somewhere.

I remember seeing Dynaman on Night Flight, aeons ago on USA Network, and thinking “Man, this is kinda like a drug trip without the drugs but with the side effects.” It was pretty surreal stuff.

Man, I miss Night Flight. But that’s a topic for another time and another part of the forums.

Upon further reflection, I looked up Kagaku Sentai Dynaman on Wikipedia and discovered that it’s the seventh generation of Super Sentai. Holy crap. There was Super Sentai as soon as there was TV in Japan, wasn’t there? 😆 But seriously, the Anglicized versions of the Japanese episode titles are epic.

Bat Hell Flight

Just leaked: the title of Meat Loaf’s next tour.

The Day Fish Attack Humans

…will be the day that our newscast ratings go through the freakin’ roof!

Operation Human Slug

…at least until they decided it’d fly with the audience better if they called it The Biggest Loser.

Mysterious Guffaw Hell

…I’m seriously thinking of retitling the Rec Room forum now.

The Sound of Death, Crickets Chirping

…this white noise relaxation device has the damnedest settings.

Unaccustomed to Red

…but in purple, I’m stunning.

Seeking a New Finishing Move
    It Came Forth!! The Finishing Move

…the two episodes where they put everything on hold until they figure out Mortal Kombat 2.

Rejuvenate! Genius Brain

…or, as I call it, bedtime.

Mama is Zenobia?

…but just wait until Maury proves that YOU ARE THE FATHER!

The Saber That Runs Love Through

…is this a euphemism for something?

The End of General Kar

…Admiral Truk is put in charge in the next episode.

But all of these pale next to the title of the sixth episode of the English-dubbed spoof:

The Last Adventure of Spunky the Wonder Squid

Steve, you know what I have to post now:

ZLoth
    ZLoth

The Day Fish Attack Humans

…will be the day that our newscast ratings go through the freakin’ roof!

You obviously have never seen Nu-Meri – Book of the New Spawn, Count your blessings.

Incidentally, this is not the first time a series has revisited previous series. Kamen Rider Decade’s motiff was that they revisited the previous nine Kamen Riders, but ended up visiting all of the previous series Kamen Riders. There was even a crossover with that year’s Super Sentai series, Shinkenger.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.