Suddenly Tomorrow Came… A History of the Johnson Space Center

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Sci Minus Fi Human Spaceflight Suddenly Tomorrow Came… A History of the Johnson Space Center

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

I stumbled across this while noticing some bad thunderstorms in Houston and asked myself a question….. why was Houston selected for NASA? Turns out, there is a NASA publication in PDF format titled “Suddenly Tomorrow Came… A History of the Johnson Space Center“.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Houston always has bad thunderstorms. I recall seeing a documentary years back that Houston has the most recorded lightning strikes in the nation.

As a kid my family would pile into the station wagon and drive down to Houston and cut across to Lake Charles, Louisiana to visit my grandparents. And it was almost always raining. I’ve driven it a few times since and the weather is at least disagreeable. I have no explanation for it. Like I have no explanation why the highway’s always under construction there, for what seems like decades.

When driving outside of Houston we would always turn at Farm Road 1960. We would know when the offramp was coming up because it was right past the Goodyear Blimp hangar base. Several times we’d see it outside the hangar, once we caught it flying down the same road east that we were going. It bums me out when I drive past and there’s only a Home Depot there now. At least the concrete foundation of the hangar is still there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.