Studio Ghibli’s "Only Yesterday" gets theatrical release

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Japanese SF and Anime Studio Ghibli’s "Only Yesterday" gets theatrical release

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From ScreenCrush:

Marvel at the Trailer for ‘Only Yesterday,’ Studio Ghibli’s Forgotten Masterpiece

To American audiences, Studio Ghibli must be the biggest name in overseas animation, having brought domestic cineplexes such visually sumptuous, emotionally affecting films as [i[The Wind Rises[/i], Howl’s Moving Castle, and Spirited Away to our fair shores. (That last one earned team Ghibli the Oscar for Best Animated Feature back in 2003, a first for the studio.) Those three films all happen to have been created by now-retired Ghibli head Hayao Miyazaki, but as the mind behind The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Pom Poko, and Grave of the Fireflies, animator Isao Takahata has been just as crucial to the studio’s stellar track record.

Takahata was the brain behind another Ghibli picture by the title of Only Yesterday, informally understood to be the studio’s forgotten masterpiece. The 1991 film played like gangbusters in its native Japan, but with Ghibli’s relatively minor stature in America at the time, combined with the absence of fantastical elements that characterized many of the other Ghibli releases, it never received a U.S. release, or even a home-video format for domestic markets. Ghibli completists have long obsessed over this hard-to-find gem, but at long last, the film is preparing to make the long voyage across the Pacific.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Official Website

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Cool. Can’t wait (for the Blu-Ray release). Well, I might see it in theaters. We’ll see. I think the last Studio Ghibli I saw in the theater was Ponyo.

Looking over the list of Studio Ghibli releases it looks like I’ve been somewhat remiss. I haven’t seen (much less purchased) any movie released since “From Up on Poppy Hill”. Time for me to put those titles on my Amazon list.

Drat. “Ocean Waves” is PAL and Region 2 only.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed