Stranger Things

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

After posting about the possibility that we might wind up with action figures from this show, I thought to myself “We did have a Stranger Things topic here, didn’t we?” And I looked and I looked. And we apparently never talked about Stranger Things here. My apologies – I think we’re losing our touch, guys.

What were your thoughts on Stranger Things? Just right? Satisfying? Vastly overhyped? (There’s a complete guide here, though I went out of my way to keep it from being too spoilery – there’s much to be gained by still watching the show itself.)

I kinda loved it myself. I didn’t watch it for quite a while because I had a slightly knee-jerk hipster reaction to the rapidly expanding mushroom cloud of hype, but it turned out to be well-earned. The show is a lot of fun, and truly scary. I don’t think Winona Ryder has ever been this good in anything I’ve seen her in before. They really got the ’80s feel of it right – you couldn’t tell that story in a modern setting where everyone’s got cameras on the phones they all have in their pocketses. The story had to be set in 1983, when kids were free to roam, explore, find a bit of trouble, and accidentally open the gates of hell with their new telekinetic friend. It’s a nice collision of modern horror and simpler times, and horror isn’t usually a genre that sits well with me, but I really dug this. The kids are all perfectly cast; the girl who plays Eleven is capable of being kinda scary.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’ve heard nothing but great things about it, and have even ‘acquired’ the full run of episodes, but I can’t seem to pull the trigger on it. I might save it as a show I’ll binge watch eventually.

Season two arrives on Halloween, appropriately enough.

Here’s the trailer aired during the Super Bowl.

Alas, no Barb.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

New trailer from SDCC.

k8track
    Participant

Really looking forward to season 2. I totally loved season 1 and absorbed it completely. They nailed about 99% of the time period just right (the one thing that stuck out like a sore, anachronistic thumb to me was when “Sunglasses at Night” was playing in the background in one scene; that song had not been released yet. Early demo copy?). Can’t wait! Note to producers: please feature Karen Wheeler much more prominently. Rowrf!

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Anyone made it through season 2 yet? Thoughts?

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I finished watching it late Tuesday night. I liked it as much as season 1. Poor little Will, always the target of the upside-down world. At least he got more screen time this season. Last season he pretty much disappeared.

I’m pleased with how they ramped it up and made it a bigger game. Reminds me on how Cameron ramped up the Alien franchise with Aliens. It’s just too bad Aliens 3 sucked. Hopefully Stranger Things won’t make the same mistake with Season 3.

Sean Astin and Paul Reiser? Cool. I didn’t recognize Paul right away but I’m glad he was there as he did a good job. His character was a nicer and kinder Hawkins lab director.

I don’t know how spoiler free y’all want this thread so I think I’ll stop here for now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed