Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One improves immensely on the book

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Sci-Fi On The Screen Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One improves immensely on the book

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ubikuberalles ubikuberalles 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZLoth
    ZLoth

From The Verge:

Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One improves immensely on the book
    Ernest Cline’s fast-moving novel was a treasure trove for pop-culture junkies, but the endless references work better on the screen

(look, I’m not finding a good paragraph summary here, so I’m not going to paste one. Go read the article. — Z)

FULL ARTICLE HERE

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by ZLoth ZLoth.
    ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Man, this guy really hated the book. Or, at least, the constant 80’s references.

At first glance, I was thinking that this was a glowing review of the movie with the reviewer only dinging the movie when it relied on certain flaws of the book (poor characterization, constant 80’s references, etc.). However, he did not like – at all – the clumsy way the movie handled the romance between Wade and Art3mis. He didn’t condemn the novel about that so it appears he was fine with how it was handled in the book (I was fine with how the book handled it because it fit with the intended audience: young adults).

The biggest complaint he has – as mentioned early in the review – is the constant 80’s reference, especially in the description of his car, with the Knightrider and Ghostbusters detail. In the movie, that is all resolved in one shot of the Delorean. I’m thinking that’s more a condemnation of the media involved since a novelist has to use words to describe the thing that can be shown in one picture. What the shot in the movie misses is the time, expense and effort Wade put into designing his car that way with all the little Easter eggs built in. It gives you some insight into Wade that the shot in the film would miss. Next, I would expect the reviewer to complain about the time George R.R. Martin spent on describing various things in his “A Song of Ice and Fire” series including the six page descriptions of every last meal. It’s the nature of the medium and I think the reviewer is not being fair with his complaint.

What’s missing is the complaints I know many fans will bring up once they see the film: the look of the characters early on in the movie. In the book, Wade describes himself as being over weight. Not so in the movie: a brief shot in one of the trailers shows Wade in his early hideout and he’s not overweight at all. A bit skinny, in fact. A brief shot of Art3mis in real life does not show her port-wine stain and so it is obvious that the movie glosses over those details to give us an idealized look of the characters. To me those changes were expected and I felt they deserve a mention in the review. In fact, that lack makes me think the reviewer didn’t read the book cover to cover. He may have only skimmed the book.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.