ST:CW?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Turns out the current president of the CW network is enough of a fan that he’d want first crack at any new TV Trek that CBS develops. [LINK]

“As a life-long Star Trek fan, I would hope to have Star Trek at The CW,” Pedowitz told press at the TCA winter press tour. “[But] I have heard no discussion about it going out as a TV series at all.”

The most recent Star Trek series debuted on UPN in the US, with that network shifting some of its programming to The CW when it shut down in 2006.

My gut feeling is… there’s no point in a TV project that doesn’t hearken back to the original timeline rather than the current movie alt-universe. Just sit back, let the fan films take the risks (and spend the money), and every few years crank out another awful movie if it is felt that one is needed.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I can’t see another Star Trek being made any time soon. Television audiences are fragmenting like crazy nowadays, there’s so many channels drawing away viewers and of course, the internet people (like me) who couldn’t give a damn about watching a show at a select day and time (or having a program being broken up every six or seven minutes with commercials).

Paramount’s notoriously cheap, they should just license the show out to other networks rather than make their own shows. SyFy keeps talking about getting back that BSG viewership with something strong, this could be it. Cartoon Network could make another animated series. Seth McFarlane has always been a Trekkie, he could persuade Fox to make a new Trek show if he produced it (but then you know of their track record for science fiction, so don’t get your hopes up on it sticking around). The CW could do a series, BBC America could do one, too. We could have multiple Trek shows on the air at some point.

Well I’ll be damned. Still: will believe when seen. Remember the unmade Trek continuation of the ’70s – it’s gotta hit the screen, not just be vaporware. [LINK]

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

So the pilot will be on TV, but the series retreats to a paid streaming service. (Elsewhere in the world, the whole thing will be on TV.) I’m hoping that the web-only nature of the show in the U.S. isn’t an excuse to C&D all the fan productions.

It’s interesting that they’re already, in the earliest press release, distancing it from the JJ-verse movies.

I’ve gotta see a premise before I get too excited. And of course it actually has to get made.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Yeah, I’d like a few more details before I can make any judgement. But their willingness to put a new Trek back into production is always a good sign. It would be nice if they did like Disney did with their Marvel branch and only staff it with real comic book nerds. It’d be great if everybody from top to bottom were true Trekkies, we wouldn’t get some of the crap shows like Voyager and Enterprise went through (did the head of Paramount really want a boy band to appear in each episode of Enterprise? Really?) and they wouldn’t meddle with the show.

Fox also announced they’re bringing back The Greatest American Hero. That’s going to be interesting.

ZLoth
    ZLoth

This is certainly an unusual strategy. I can’t recall any other series premiering on a major network, then being a subscription series. Sounds like a testing of the waters similar to the NFL game a few weeks ago on Yahoo.

Remember JJ Abrams’ attempt to take control of how Star Trek: Any Generation could be merchandised (preferably not at all if it clashed with his new movie versions)? One former TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise fan-turned-staffer thinks that the decision made there – to not give JJ control, and to keep marketing the classic series and its spinoffs – indicates that there’s hope for the next show to be “prime universe”. [LINK]

It struck me, after the CBS-Bad Robot tug-of-war over the legacy fate of all things Prime, that CBS has that vested interest $$wise in building on the existing library and its spin-off products. By 2015, surely it is hardly Trekkie mumbo-jumbo to the network brass to understand this, and to push for hiring creatives who can easily design and tell stories in “canon” and still feel unencumbered and unchained in their storytelling/visualizing. (#primeisnotscary #primeisnothard )

Of course, many may be confusing the potential apples and oranges of this “JJverse” vs “prime” question: there’s also the visual canon versus the timeline canon—and then, the mistake of equating either choice as simply the 1980s and the 2010s. They aren’t, of course: a “modern Bad Robot” quality can be both indulged and intelligently applied to a pre-TNG setting or a post-TNG setting in Prime as well as alt-verse…if the right drivers are given the keys. Don’t assume that a “Prime” show means it has to look like 1987 production technology, or even 1995.

I’m not sure I’m holding out the same hope as Larry that protecting the “prime universe” revenue stream necessarily means that CBS or Paramount “get it”. My preference would be for movie-era (i.e. circa Star Treks II-VI) or TNG-through-Voyager era; I think a network TV return to the TOS era would spell trouble for the fan productions, which would cause a backlash of ill-will once the social media shitstorm that accompanies any unpopular decision reached its peak.

Of course we’re all assuming they don’t just reboot he universe all over again.

Interesting quotes from interested parties. From Les Moonves, CBS CEO… [LINK]

“Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, they all offered us a lot of money. They all wanted it very badly,” Moonves said. “We could have taken the quick bucks from Netflix, but it shows we’re investing in a property we really believe in the future of.”

And some Q&A with Nick Meyer… [LINK]

A lot of Star Trek fans are hoping that this new show might signal a return to self-contained stories, rather than the big season-long arcs we see in most contemporary television. Will this be the case?

I think it’s going to be a different Star Trek. It will go in a different direction. And I think that is probably good. Because the thing that mainly troubles me about Star Trek is the fear of it being maybe re-treads of itself. And to the degree that I had any influence on the thing [Star Trek] at all was that at least while I was there, we were fooling around. And if you’re not fooling around, then things can become stale. And I think that Bryan [Fuller]—who is a very clever fellow—has ideas—some of which I’ve heard—that are innovative and different. Different is what got me interested.

The politics of both Star Trek IV and Star Trek VI are what make those movies what they are. Is there something from the existing political landscape that might make its way into these new Star Treks?

The one thing I can relate to you is that The Undiscovered Country—according to Bryan [Fuller]—is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he’s thinking about the direction of the new show. I don’t want to be misquoted and I don’t want to misquote him, but he’s fond of that film. Let’s put it that way.

Fascinating. (To coin a phrase.)

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

The good news is he isn’t a fan of Star Trek V. 😯

Really…is anyone?

What does God need with a movie about God needing a starship?

And we’re already getting ready to shoot a teaser promo for it. (Don’t worry, looks like it’ll be the old “Star Trek as the next logical step in space exploration” chestnut that worked so well for TNG and Voyager and Enterprise’s earliest promos, so this reveals nothing about setting, casting, etc., because all of that stuff is still up in the air.)

Oh, this gets better and better and better. SO much to like here. It’s like they’ve read my wish list. [LINK]

I have heard some intriguing rumors about the new Star Trek TV show that will be coming to CBS All Access next year under the stewardship of Bryan Fuller: it won’t be set in the JJ Abrams reboot universe. The new show will be set in the original, classic continuity.

But when? Will it be a prequel, like Enterprise? Or will it be the next generation for The Next Generation? Neither, I’ve heard. The show will be set some time after the events of Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, so between the original series and The Next Generation.

I love this. For my money the original series movie uniforms are just the best uniforms, and I would love a TV series with that look. I think there’s a rich vein of stories to be mined between the years of the swashbuckling OG crew and the more reserved TNG crew. The only bummer is that we won’t be able to have cameos from some of the original crew, as most of them are dead (and Captain Kirk will have already disappeared into the Nexus by the time this show is set, no matter when it’s set – he fell into the Nexus the same year as the events of The Undiscovered Country!).

I’ve also heard the show, which will be heavily serialized, will not be set on an Enterprise, although that feels like a no-brainer. One last rumble I heard, which I could not get second sourced at this time, so consider this a wild rumor: while the Khitomer Conference will have paved the way for Klingons and humans to find peace, Fuller has a plan as to how he can still feature villainous Klingons, something we haven’t seen in decades!

I know this all falls under the heading of “rumor”, but man… I really, really love this idea.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I just want to see the ship designs. I’ve been watching a lot of episodes of Trekyards on YouTube lately, and that’s got me interested in the types of ships they’ll be designing. I would imagine they would be more interested in creating their own ships than using an Excelsior-class design.

The idea that the new show could be set in the time period where Klingons would become allies with the Federation once the Romulans attack Khitomer (and the Enterprise-C is destroyed defending the Klingon civilians) could make for an interesting political climate for a new series. Although I’m not as enthusiastic to see those old movie uniforms being brought back, I’d rather see something new that’s sort of inbetween.

Here’s the teaser trailer. I can sum it up for you pretty easily:

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Speculation is that the series will be an anthology, each season taking place in a different time period in the Federation’s history. I’m liking that idea, there’s some interesting potential in that. And if a particular time period and crew become incredibly popular, it can hopefully be spun off into its own series.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed