Star Wars: Rogue One

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Star Wars: Rogue One

This topic contains 42 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Flack
    Participant

That question is even funnier once you’ve seen the movie.

I went back and watched the original trailer last night after seeing the movie. Either I was really out of it, or a lot of the quotes and clips in the original trailer didn’t make the final cut. I know that happens from time to time but… ah, could be the sleep deprivation, but it seems like a lot from that trailer didn’t make it.

Could be that the lines from the earliest trailers were replaced by stuff from the reshoots.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@flack wrote:

That question is even funnier once you’ve seen the movie.

I went back and watched the original trailer last night after seeing the movie. Either I was really out of it, or a lot of the quotes and clips in the original trailer didn’t make the final cut. I know that happens from time to time but… ah, could be the sleep deprivation, but it seems like a lot from that trailer didn’t make it.

No, your not really out of it. I just watched the trailer now and I easily spotted several things in the trailer that were not in the movie (and I wasn’t even trying).

As a computer nerd, one of the the things that struck me after the movie was “they use tape drives for archiving in the Empire?” I guess that technology will endure after all.

Well, they specifically mention “stolen data tapes” in Star Wars. Then again, they talk about tapes all the time in classic Star Trek too. At least Star Wars is willing to be stuck with it once it’s mentioned. 😆

Flack
    Participant

I thought it was interesting that the plans came out on a big tape drive, but when they got inserted into R2, it was on a credit card. I suppose it’s possible that the tape drive had more data on it than just the Death Star plans and that what Leia inserted into R2 held less data, but it seems fairly unlikely that the minute they stole the plans, as Stormtroopers and Darth Vader were boarding the ship, they handed the tape off to some technical support guy to copy only the good stuff or, God forbid, make a backup copy.

The 4TB drive I back the graphics PC and the server up to at work is about that size. I’m gonna start clipping it to my belt at the end of the day.

If they’d made a backup, could they have just handed the original over to Vader and made their apologies? 😆

Interesting article on the reshoots, including conjecture that the whole last 1/3 of the movie changed completely. [LINK]

The article is not spoiler-free, so I won’t quote it.

I will, however, offer this spoiler-free tidbit: I didn’t watch or pay attention to any of the trailers after the very first one many months back. And I hadn’t exactly gone back and obsessed over that first trailer, either. I was so determined to avoid spoilers that I avoided even the stuff the studio wanted us to see…therefore, I really had no expectations based on the trailers, and had no idea (or had forgotten) what all had changed.

I just went in and enjoyed the movie. A lot. And then went home and opened some action figures. I’m not going to confirm or deny that I re-enacted a battle with approaching Imperial CAT-ATs, however.

Hasbro needs to get me Baze Malbus in action figure form pronto, as I loved that character and Chirrut, and think we should have a whole movie devoted to their past adventures – there’s obviously a story there. Really, they could do backstories on all of the characters and I think people would buy into it – show us what these folks were doing before they teamed up, kind of an “Avengers, some assembly required.”

I’ve got five pages of podcast outline completed, as well as a start on a written review which covers different turf, so I’ll have a lot more to say really soon. Trying to keep it vague so all…what, six of us?…have seen it.

I will say this: the fact that they tied it in so closely with Star Wars, and had a ton of money to throw at recreating that time and place on screen, made Rogue One the smartest possible opening volley for the “anthology films”. Opening with the Han Solo backstory would’ve been too controversial. Even if just for the last five minutes or so, and all the little callbacks to the first movie, Rogue One was a fairly easy crowd-pleaser.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@flack wrote:

I thought it was interesting that the plans came out on a big tape drive, but when they got inserted into R2, it was on a credit card. I suppose it’s possible that the tape drive had more data on it than just the Death Star plans and that what Leia inserted into R2 held less data, but it seems fairly unlikely that the minute they stole the plans, as Stormtroopers and Darth Vader were boarding the ship, they handed the tape off to some technical support guy to copy only the good stuff or, God forbid, make a backup copy.

Here are the possibilities that occurred to me:

– Data on the card was compressed but the data was not compressed on the tape drive
    – Only some of the contents of the tape drive were transmitted.
    – When transferring the contents from the ships computers (which received the transmission) to the card, the techs selected only the relevant files (the “good stuff” you mentioned). The layout of the bathrooms, trash compactors, Grand Moff Tarkin’s quarters, and so on were left out.

Also keep in mind that, what appeared to happen in only a few minutes to us as an audience, might actually have taken 20-30 minutes or even hours to occur in real time. That extra time we didn’t see was spent by the techs to select and compress the data to store on the card. The producers of the “historical documents” (the movie) simply compressed the timeline to make things more dramatic.

A backup copy on Leia’s ship would be bad, as the Empire would have the proof they needed to prove Leia’s involvement. However, nothing is stopping all the other rebel ships in the battle from picking up and storing the transmission. A few of those may have survived the battle. Who knows. Heck, since the transmission was broadcast in the clear like that, some poorly farmer a couple light years away could have picked up the transmission on his receiver a couple years after the Death Star was destroyed. “Cool! Plans for the Death Star!” But, then we wouldn’t have the MacGuffin for “A New Hope” (I hate that title), aka R2-D2, that drove the plot for the movie.

Here’s another thing that bugged me about the end of Rogue One (Spoilers!): http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/312790/detail-in-rogue-one-been-annoying-me/

Flack
    Participant

I must admit, I got a little confused toward the end of Rogue One (R1 henceforth). Toward the end, I thought they said something about sending a message from the tower to the rebel ships, letting them know the plans were coming (or something to that effect). So when Vader says that that he knows several transmissions were beamed to Leia’s ship, he’s kind of right. I also got confused because the tower they were in had a giant radar dish on top of it which I thought was going to broadcast the plans to the rebel ship, but apparently it just broadcasts the “turn off the shield” message? I need to watch the ending again.

Furthermore, how is it that the data wasn’t received and recorded on every Rebel ship above fighter jet size? One gets the impression from the little display at the transmitter (and again on the flagship) that this was just good old packet radio at work, not some point-to-point laser transmission that went directly from sender to one intended receiver.

Plot-wise, if the flagship somehow had the only copy of that data, then that copy has to be put aboard the blockage runner we see at the beginning of Star Wars. But really, that data should’ve been at least relayed to every other Rebel ship. From a data security standpoint, the way it plays out is that all the eggs are in one basket. That may play well in 1977, where one sheet of paper might be the only sheet of paper that has that information on it, but…we’re not in a sheet of paper world anymore. If the flagship receives and verifies the data, it would seem like they’d turn around, send it at the very least to the fastest ship in the fleet, and send that ship back to Yavin 4 ASAP. But maybe we’re back to the “bandwidth bottleneck” built into the story as a plot complication there.

I really liked Admiral Raddus. There is a guy with fishy nerves (and fishy balls) of pure steel. By comparison, in Jedi, Ackbar is losing his sh__.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I finally saw the movie today. I almost saw it at a drive-in theater, the fairly new Coyote Drive-In near downtown Fort Worth, but I was concerned about the nighttime temperature drop so I went a little closer to home. I’m kind of regretting not going to the drive-in, I haven’t been to one since I was probably 5 years old. If I get my time off next week (if my horrible boss doesn’t block it again just to be a bitch) I think I’ll go see it again, at the drive-in. Although their big end-of-year deal will be over, a double feature with Disney’s Moana for $6.

Anyhoodle, I liked a lot of the film although I found the plot to be unnecessarily convoluted. And weren’t the plans for the Death Star given to the Empire at the end of Revenge of the Sith? So why do they need a scientist to design the thing again?

Tarkin was hard to watch. The lighting on him was different than that of the other characters and his movements were a bit jerky. They could have minimized his appearances, and made him a little more menacing in the process. I liked how you saw his reflection in the window at first, they could have kept doing that for a lot of that scene, to have Tarkin avoid looking at Krennic directly to show the disdain Tarkin has for him, and have smaller snippets of Tarkin’s face during the conversation. But they went full Uncanny Valley with it. Princess Leia in comparison almost looked like an animatronic puppet in her brief appearance.

This is the first time we really see something like Star Trek-style energy shields on Imperial capital ships. And shouldn’t the giant dish on the tower at the end be the shield generator (like the one on Endor), or was the ring “gate” what generated the shield around the entire planet?

As others have said, there was an awful lot in the trailers that wasn’t in the actual movie. I’m hoping movie studios continue this trend – they love giving too much away in movie trailers, hopefully it’ll get to a point where the trailer is absolutely nothing like the film it’s for. That way you’ll never get any plot spoilers and you’ll go in completely fresh, not knowing what to expect.

@Steve W wrote:

And weren’t the plans for the Death Star given to the Empire at the end of Revenge of the Sith? So why do they need a scientist to design the thing again?

Plans are one thing; R&D for new material, new construction processes and even new alloys are entirely another. Look at the space shuttle: basic design was laid out in ’69, approved in ’72, expected to start flying in ’78, didn’t actually get to space until ’81. For something as complex as a Death Star, I have to imagine that, yeah, that development curve could easily take up the years/decades between Episodes II (the plans seen as a hologram) & III (the keel being laid), and the completion of the station in Rogue One. It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken.

@Steve W wrote:

And shouldn’t the giant dish on the tower at the end be the shield generator (like the one on Endor), or was the ring “gate” what generated the shield around the entire planet?

I was definitely under the impression that the gate generates the shield in all directions, enveloping the planet and leaving only the gate’s “eye” as an opening. I’d have to imagine that something like that would involve a station in orbit – just barely – right on top of Scarif’s thermosphere (assuming an Earthlike atmosphere as a model), pumping some sort of charge into the upper layers of the atmosphere so that it effectively acts as a solid upon anything less shielded than the station itself. Also, when the star destroyers collide with the gate, there seemed to be a visual cue that the entire barrier had collapsed, planet-wide, or at least that’s how I read it.

Numerous outlets are now giving an April 28th release date for the Rogue One Blu-Ray and DVD.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed