Star Wars: Rogue One

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Star Wars: Rogue One

This topic contains 42 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’d assume they were going for an Endor type of situation, a planet where they could go down and do some R&R while the Death Star was being built.

Even if the Death Star had a tiny planet orbiting it (which would be super weird if a pleasantly habitable planet just showed up in a solar system and started orbiting their “small moon” sized space station) that planet will still be in the Roche limit, meaning one of those objects would be ripped apart through tidal forces. Something there’s got to ‘splode, ain’t no way around it.

Flack
    Participant

Maybe I’m under-thinking it, but I just thought it was a collage with a Death Star overlaid in the background. In the original 1977 movie poster, I never thought that Darth Vader’s head was 20x bigger than the Death Star.

Trying to apply scientific reality to Star Wars can only lead us down one road, gentlemen…

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@Steve W wrote:

I’d assume they were going for an Endor type of situation, a planet where they could go down and do some R&R while the Death Star was being built.

Even if the Death Star had a tiny planet orbiting it (which would be super weird if a pleasantly habitable planet just showed up in a solar system and started orbiting their “small moon” sized space station) that planet will still be in the Roche limit, meaning one of those objects would be ripped apart through tidal forces. Something there’s got to ‘splode, ain’t no way around it.

They built a space station the size of a frickin’ moon, man. There are numerous engineering challenges to just do that. I would think they would have in place a lot of syfy type things in place to handle the stress of such a huge thing (shields, some kind of syfy load bearing thing, midichlorians to strengthen materials, etc.). The Roche limit – which really only applies to natural satellites – would be the least of their problems.

Earl’s right, no need to overthink it. Larry Niven came up with Ringworld, which required the invention of super strong stuff to handle the stress. If the fans had no problem with that, then they have no right to quibble over the Death Star’s engineering.

Besides, my comment about the tropical planet orbiting the Death Star was a joke, a throwaway statement. Maybe I should have said it was a scene from a Holodeck…oh, wait, wrong universe.

Since the rumor was so rampant, Lucasfilm reps actually answered them. [LINK]

Even before Alden Ehrenreich was cast as the half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerfherder, the rumor mill was chugging along that the “new” Han Solo would make his big screen debut in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Now though, director Gareth Edwards has shot first and put them to bed.

“I’m not sure if I’m allowed to do this, but I think I should,” he tells Extra TV. “I can put to bed, Han Solo is not in the movie.”

Apparently there was another rumor – this was a new one on me – that Hayden Christensen would be wearing the Vader armor. [LINK]

With Darth Vader confirmed for Star Wars: Rogue One, it’s been rumored more than a few times that Hayden Christensen might be in the movie in some form.

Disney’s Kathleen Kennedy shoots down the rumor.

“No. That is not true,” Kennedy told Extra. “No. I can confirm that. He is not.”

Why would anyone think they’d hire Hayden just to wear the armor? Star Wars fandom, I worry about you, son.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Why would anyone think they’d hire Hayden just to wear the armor? Star Wars fandom, I worry about you, son.

I dunno, his acting may have been better than it was in Episodes II and III. 😆

Apparently one person who has signed on for a brief appearance is none other than Jimmy “Senator Organa” Smits. I can totally get behind that – it makes sense to catch a glimpse of him in that time frame, given that his adopted daughter is going to wind up aboard his ship with those stolen plans…

Flack
    Participant

Based on the 700 commercials I’ve seen during the Olympics, there’s going to be a new Rogue One trailer released this Thursday.

Yes, there was. And here it is.

My takeaway from this: she’s been busted out of jail to do this dangerous thing.

He’s going to help.

And so is he.

And so is his pessimistic wisecracking droid.

And there’s a Force Ninja.

See y’all in December.

Flack
    Participant

I’ve been rooting around for some good dissections of the trailer this morning. I’ve learned a little, but not too much. Just right? Goldilocks? Anyway. I’m pretty sure that was Thrawn we saw toward the end. Or maybe not. But I hope so.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@earl wrote:

Yes, there was. And here it is.

My takeaway from this: she’s been busted out of jail to do this dangerous thing.

He’s going to help.

And so is he.

And so is his pessimistic wisecracking droid.

And there’s a Force Ninja.

See y’all in December.

And there’s a 96% chance the mission will fail and, I presume, they all die? Are Bothans involved somehow? I hope not because, if so, I have a bad feeling about this.

Despite my wise-crackin’, I’m kinda jazzed about this. Slightly more than I was about Ep 7.

Are we ready for Star Wars to sound a lot like Star Trek? Yeah, about that… [LINK]

Michael Giacchino, the composer behind such films as the Star Trek reboot and Pixar movies ranging from The Incredibles to Inside Out, will score the upcoming pic, stepping in for Alexandre Desplat, who was originally slated to work on the movie.

Rogue One underwent extensive reshoots this summer that saw writer Tony Gilroy take on a filmmaker role during the shoot and the postproduction process as Disney and Lucasfilm sought to clarify story and tonal issues for the pic that is set to open Dec. 16.

But the reshoots also altered the scoring calendar and Desplat, who won an Oscar for The Grand Budapest Hotel, was no longer available. Disney and Lucasfilm then turned to Giacchino, who has a long relationship with the studio and its various divisions.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I’m fine with that. His Star Trek compositions are arguably the best thing about the J.J.verse movies.

Lucas likes it. [LINK]

ComicBook.com’s Star Wars expert Lucas Siegel is on site covering the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Press Conference at Lucasfilm in San Francisco, California, where director Gareth Edwards is speaking along with Kathleen Kennedy and the stars of the film. Edwards related that during press on Friday, he was pulled away for an “important phone call” and it was from George Lucas himself.

George Lucas saw #RogueOne two days ago, called Gareth Edwards and, “I can die happy now. He loved the movie.”

He called and spoke with Edwards for about half an hour, a conversation Edwards said he will “cherish and take to my grave.”

(Everyone’s jazzed by this news. Considering the bashing Lucas has taken for the prequels, I’m a little surprised everyone reads this as good news.)

Um…this has to be spelled out for people? 😆 😕 [LINK]

In a recent interview with Empire Magazine, Kennedy made it clear that a Rogue One sequel is not happening. Picking up on that point, director Gareth Edwards explained that the original Star Wars is effectively the sequel to Rogue One, stating that any followup “will be [has been] directed by George Lucas.”

Man, we really gotta tell people not to eat the paint chips now, don’t we? :ugeek:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed