Star Wars: Rogue One

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Star Wars: Rogue One

This topic contains 42 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Now THIS sounds promising. If they can maintain the inherent 1970s-ish-ness of the visual elements, that would be awesome. A collection of tweets from this page. [LINK]

There has been a lot of speculation on the stand-alone films, Pablo points out. Now, we can clarify some things.

Kennedy says that Lucas “Was really interested in exploring all the stories that existed inside the universe.”

Hart: “We’re extremely excited about these…we’re going to be calling them Anthology films.”

“I think this as opportunity for us to tap into emergent directing talent out there and do some things that are unexpected.”

And your official description: A band of resistance fighters unite for a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans in the Star Wars Anthology film, Rogue One.

Edwards: It’s set after Episode III, before IV — and a little more towards IV.

“It comes down to a group of individuals who don’t have magical powers that have to somehow bring hope to the galaxy.”

Hidalgo notes that the Anthology series lets them tell stories that may not involve Jedi.

What are they going for? Edwards: “Real…This is a real place that we’re really in…The thing that interests me about it, is Star Wars was basically very black and white. Our movie is gray.”

For Rogue One, they’ll be shooting in the UK and around the world.

If done right, there is a high degree of probability that this could kick ass.

On the flipside: there’s a lot of Twitter traffic complaining about the premise, mainly from folks attached to the non-film “expanded universe” material from the novels, games, etc. The primary gripe seems to be that the game Dark Forces covers the theft of the Death Star plans, and since it’s been around for 20 years or so, it should be grandfathered in somehow.

I get how attached they are to the material – I really do. Doctor Who fans really got to have their cake and eat it too the moment that Steven Moffat dumped a list of Big Finish companions into his Paul McGann minisode. And I suppose SW fans felt that they had gotten the same validation when the prequel movies used Coruscant (which originated in the books).

But what if someone’s got a better idea and a better story? Does that not get to supersede what was basically a Doom clone with Star Wars settings?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It doesn’t matter, since spin-off media is not strictly considered canon. And since they’ve come right out and said that all media that was not part of the films or the recent animated series are no longer considered in continuity any more, I think those complainers need to put on their big boy pants and deal with it.

Flack
    Participant

Even if it was a Doom clone, it was approved by Lucas and considered canon until the Disney purchase last year. I think that’s what a lot of people are complaining about.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I think that, as far as being “approved by Lucas” goes, he asked whether or not it would make him money, they said yes, so he had one of his assistants slap his rubber stamp on it. I wonder how much he gave a damn by that point.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I think Lucas stopped giving a damn when he chopped the Wookies in half and called them Ewoks (yes, I’m still pissed about that). It was a pure marketing move that damaged the integrity of the story. The end result is my impression of George approving something goes like this: “Does it make me any money? Yes? A lot? Cool. APPROVED!”

Boom! Trailer!

I have a good feeling about this.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Me like.

Me too. Man, that musta been some shindig they had for inaugurating the Death Star.

What blows my mind is that apparently Twitter is awash with guys complaining that we have here Another Star Wars Movie With A Female Lead. WTF? We’ve had several Star Wars movies with male leads already. If you’re sticking strictly to the filmed or televisual Star Wars media…Ahsoka? But she’s clearly set up as a sidekick early on in Clone Wars and then becomes much more. Amidala is set up as a brilliant strategist and a strong fighter, but they reduce her to being almost pathetic in the end. What should be her fury at the end of democracy as she’s known it and fought for it is minimized in favor of “you’re breaking my heart!”

The boys have had their chance to play already. Anyone complaining about that in particular needs to re-examine their embrace of the status quo.

There is so much to LIKE in this trailer that I don’t even know where to begin. Mon Mothma! (almost typed “Mon Mothra”) The Rebel base set from the first movie! Old school stormtroopers and AT-ATs!

I gotta laugh a little bit at the thought that Disney was going to ruin Star Wars. Market the hell out of it? Yes. But you know what? That had already been done.

There will eventually be a misfire somewhere in Disney-owned Star Wars history. The law of averages demands it. But from where I’m sitting right now…having just finished season 2 of “Rebels” (which you guys should all be watching so we can talk about it, BTW…), rewatching the home video release of The Force Awakens, and gawking at this trailer…they seem to be doing pretty damn well with it.

@earl wrote:

There will eventually be a misfire somewhere in Disney-owned Star Wars history.

…I just hope it isn’t this soon. Not sure how much credence to give this, but: [LINK]

The first “Star Wars” spinoff, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” is in crisis, and the movie will have to go into expensive reshoots over the summer, sources exclusively confirmed to Page Six.

The much-anticipated “Rogue One” is due for release on Dec. 16, but we’re told bosses at Disney are not fully satisfied with the first cut from director Gareth Edwards.

One Hollywood source told us, “The execs at Disney are not happy with the movie, and ‘Rogue One’ will have to go back into four weeks of expensive reshoots in July.”

It was announced earlier this month that Edwards would not direct “Godzilla 2” later this year, and would instead “focus on smaller films.” But the movie insider told us, “Gareth’s work on the first ‘Godzilla’ [which came out in 2014] shows he can handle a big studio blockbuster. But ‘Rogue One’ has fallen short of what J.J. Abrams did with ‘Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens.’ So Disney has ordered reshoots.”

Edwards is well-known as a risk-taking director, but has also been reported to prefer to keep studio influence at a minimum. The source added, “Disney won’t take a back seat, and is demanding changes, as the movie isn’t testing well.”

Yikes. Is it the movie’s fault for not testing well, though? We’ve been told that this would be a darker, grittier war movie, not the “hero’s journey” of the primary trilogies. Could the test audience’s expectations be at fault here?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

It’s just reshoots to make it a little more lighthearted and not so grimdark. It’s not a big deal, reshoots happen to most big movies nowadays. Allegedly, they filmed new bits of The Force Awakens just weeks before its premiere.

Flack
    Participant

This is one of those stories that has grown each time another news outlet has picked it up. The first one I read said the film is doing reshoots over the summer. The second one I read said the film is doing expensive reshoots over the summer. The latest round said the film is doing expensive reshoots, and it is in trouble.

This is one of the few times where I think modern film making techniques (CGI) works to their advantage. If they’re already torn down a set or left a location, they can just recreate it and slip it into a background shot.

I can’t help but to think “Disney executives are worried about the film” may translate to “there aren’t enough kid-friendly things for us to turn into toys.” Let’s face it, I don’t think kids are going to latch on to the Deathstar’s mouse droid the same way they did BB-8.

@flack wrote:

I can’t help but to think “Disney executives are worried about the film” may translate to “there aren’t enough kid-friendly things for us to turn into toys.” Let’s face it, I don’t think kids are going to latch on to the Deathstar’s mouse droid the same way they did BB-8.

SteveW might have called this one over in the “Will the Star Wars saga someday have its own Deadpool?” thread. 😐
    @Steve W wrote:

Here’s a cynical question – what kind of movie would get more toys sold, an R-rated film (in which the core of the toy industry are too young to see) or a PG-13 film?

I’d like to think that it’s simply to add a bit of humor to the thing, and not to achieve that adjective coined by former Kenner executive Bernie Loomis, “toyetic.”

New official poster.

[attachment=0:37068sxa]roguelike.jpg[/attachment:37068sxa]

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Gah, too close. Since the original Death Star is supposed to have the appearance of “a small moon” and the planet they’re on looks Earth-like with normal-ish gravity, I’ll assume the Death Star is being built in orbit around that planet. But if it’s looming that close to the planet, it must be within the Roche limit, which would mean an artificial structure like that one would be torn apart by tidal forces and turned into a ring of debris around the planet. But then, the Death Star has artificial gravity, so they may have a way of gravitationally shielding it from tidal kneading.

I might be overthinking it. A little bit.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Maybe the “planet” is a small moon, much smaller than the Death Star, and is orbiting the Death Star. 😉

Not retaining atmosphere, low gravity, blah blah blah.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed