Star Wars in December of 2022, 2024, and 2026

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Star Wars in December of 2022, 2024, and 2026

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Episode IX will finally let go of the Skywalker family, but that doesn’t mean there’s no more Star Wars…another trilogy is coming. [LINK]

The company is moving around the debuts of various movies it inherited after buying the bulk of 21st Century Fox’s film and television assets in a $71.3 billion mega-merger.

As part of the great release date shake-up, Disney announced there will be a trio of untitled “Star Wars” entries. These will hit theaters after “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” brings the Skywalker spinoff saga to a close this December. The first of the new three films will hit the big screen on Dec. 16, 2022. There will be two other follow-ups that will premiere in the Christmas corridor on Dec. 20, 2024 and Dec. 18, 2026.

James Cameron’s long-awaited and oft-delayed follow-up to “Avatar” has been pushed back another year. “Avatar 2” will hit theaters on Dec. 17, 2021 instead of Dec. 18, 2020 as originally planned. Its move means that “Avatar 3” will open on Dec. 22, 2023 as opposed to Dec. 17, 2021 while “Avatar 4” will bow on Dec. 19, 2025 instead of Dec. 20, 2024 and “Avatar 5” will launch Dec. 17, 2027.

The news means that Disney is poised to dominate the busy holiday movie-going season for the foreseeable future, as it alternates between “Avatar” and “Star Wars” films. Moviegoers will be treated to new Na’vi and Jedi adventures each year between 2021 and 2027.

What isn’t known is if these are standalone/anthology movies, the trilogy under development by Rian Johnson of The Last Jedi fame, or the trilogy under development by the Benioff/Weiss team (showrunners of Game Of Thrones). Somehow I’m thinking Johnson’s trilogy is more likely, as I doubt there’s been enough time for Benioff and Weiss to have done much work on theirs. They’re still erasing coffee cups from episodes of GOT. 😆

ZLoth
    ZLoth

It was a single Starbucks cup. ONE!

Although I’m wondering at this point if the movie-going public will be super-hero-ed and star-wars-ed out.

“You can not operate in this room unless you believe that you are Superman, and whatever happens, you’re capable of solving the problem.” – Gene Kranz

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I honestly cannot fathom Disney making a Rian Johnson trilogy after the overwhelmingly negative reception of The Last Jedi. The fact that Abrams is going to retcon a bunch of stuff out of that film (which Johnson seems to be fine with, oddly) is pretty telling. It comes down to this; one duo helms a highly-watched TV show that’s changed the television industry, and the other’s name is drug through the mud every time it’s brought up. Who would Disney executives give a couple hundred million dollars to and expect to receive the highest return on investment possible?

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Looks like you’re right. [LINK]

While speaking at the MoffetNathanson Media & Communications summit today, Walt Disney Company chairman Bob Iger confirmed that the next Star Wars film following The Rise of Skywalker will be from Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, coming in 2022.

“We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B Weiss, who are famous for Game of Thrones, and the next movie that we release will be theirs,” Iger said. “And we’re not saying anything more about that.”

During the summit, Iger discussed the future of the Star Wars franchise in both film and television. Currently, two Star Wars shows are in the works for the new streaming platform, Disney+, but the company is planning on waiting three years between the release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and the next Star Wars film from Benioff and Weiss. Iger said the break was a deliberate choice on the part of the company, following the latest trilogy and two spinoff films, Solo and Rogue One.

“[We thought] it would be smart for us to take a bit of a hiatus while we figure out what’s next. Now, we’re not going to wait until [The Rise of Skywalker] is released and start figuring it out, we’re actually hard at work doing that already,” he said. “The conclusion that we reached was that three years was the proper amount of time to not only take a breather and reset, but to really gear up for the next film’s release.”

However, it’s kind of funny that this announcement is being made just as Benioff and Weiss are being pilloried on the internet for apparently making a rush job of plot development in GOT’s final season. I mean, seriously, you should see the chatter out there. I fully expect the finales of Lost, Battlestar Galactica, and Enterprise to be let off the hook after this weekend. 😆

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

A Facebook friend posted this, and while I don’t think it’s necessarily the truth of what’s going on with GOT, it’s funny to think about.

Valar Porghulis

Valar Porghulis!
    Valar Porghulis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.