Star Wars figures: when is it time to hang it up?

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Collectibles Star Wars figures: when is it time to hang it up?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl's previous regeneration Earl’s previous regeneration 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

A bizarre first topic for the rebooted Star Wars collectibles subforum, but hear me out.

Looks like Hasbro has just done another Fan Choice poll to determine which character the fans want… and yet the choices are rather limited. Outside of anything new coming down the pike from the Clone Wars TV series, Star Wars figures just feel like they’ve fallen into a rut. Nothing has compelled me to buy a new figure since a couple of years after Episode III was released. The retro packaging thing almost got me… but not for the prices that the figures currently sell for.

What would get me to shell out money for a brand new Star Wars figure? Honestly, the most interesting things I’ve seen in recent years are the comics tie-ins, and even there, they barely scraped the surface of scraping the surface of the era I remember most fondly (the Marvel comics released between Star Wars and Empire). They did “specially shaded” versions of a couple of existing molds tie to the way the characters were drawn/colored in the Archie Goodwin days of the SW comics, but that’s it. No Jaxxon. No Amaiza. No Don-Wan Kihotay.

I realize that such characters would be incredibly small sellers when anyone who remembers those comics from the first printing is hovering around the 40-year-old mark like I am, but… how many different specialty versions of existing characters in existing costumes do we need?

I grow really disenchanted when “Fans’ Choice” really means “choose which one of these figures that we’ve already done 12 times before that you want a Newer More Betterer Version of.”

Has Hasbro finally hit the wall with this product line? The question in the topic isn’t a question of when I need to hang up the Star Wars figures – I’ve already done that, from lack of interest. The question is… should Hasbro give it a rest?

Or am I just being too picky when I demand that they put out something completely new and not an nth-iteration rehash before I plunk down close to ten bucks for one?

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

They need to scale back. There’s no new movies to tie into, only so many characters that they can do, it’s time to slow down. They’re going to fill the stores with all sorts of dud figures that will litter the shelves unsold, making the stores not want to order any more.

Have there ever been figures based on the Star Wars Christmas Special, like Chewie’s family? How about a Wilford Brimley figure from those made-for-TV movies set on Endor from the ’80s? I think those are probably the only characters they haven’t oversaturated the market with yet.

@Steve W wrote:

Have there ever been figures based on the Star Wars Christmas Special, like Chewie’s family? How about a Wilford Brimley figure from those made-for-TV movies set on Endor from the ’80s? I think those are probably the only characters they haven’t oversaturated the market with yet.

Apparently, there were prototypes sculpted of Chewie’s family, back in ’79 before Lucas redacted the Holiday Special from the entire continuity. That would’ve been pretty cool to have figures of them that Christmas, but I guess he went sour on the whole thing by the time it even hit the air. I still think there’s a box set waiting to happen there somewhere…

No figures were ever released from the two Ewok TV movies, though there were figures from the animated Ewoks and Droids series in the late ’80s that have never resurfaced.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.