Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens trailer

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Wars Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens trailer

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

See it here.

Insert Disney/prequel bashing below.

Flack
    Participant

I watched it four or five times before Googling “dissect new star wars trailer”. I’ve been actively avoiding spoilers so I didn’t know who any of those characters were. I can assume the girl riding the Speeder Block ™ is Leia’s daughter, only because my first reaction was, “isn’t Padme dead?” I don’t know who the black guy is, or the X-Wing pilot, or the Disney-esque droid with a soccer ball for a body. Or the new bad guy.

I don’t know why we need lightsaber innovations, to be honest. In the prequels you have the “normal” sabre, along with the curved hilt saber and Maul’s dual-saber. By the time you get to the real trilogy, those other designs have gone by the wayside and we’re just down to the normal design. Granted, we don’t see a lot of lightsabers (Vader’s, Ben’s, Luke’s which was Vaders, Luke’s which he built based on his knowledge of lightsabers that belonged to Ben and Vader) so it’s possible other models are out there but really that new one to me just seems like “well it’s a bad guy and we need something new, let’s put a crossguard on it”. In reality it looks like whoever is weilding that thing is much more likely to get hurt by those.

Flack
    Participant

If you haven’t seen them, here’s the LEGO version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpfWrh1scZU

…and here’s the George Lucas Special Edition:

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I remember J.J. mentioning that they would be relying on old-school special effects a lot more and not going the prequel route, i.e. “let’s cover every scene with CG and hope it doesn’t look too fake”. And then I see the Millenium Falcon zipping around in a way that makes it look as unrealistic as possible… yeah. I don’t think it’ll suck, but it’s not going to thrill me like the first Star Wars movie did. Disney has figured out that to make a good movie based on an existing property (Marvel is a perfect example), only hire people top-to-bottom who are fans of it and let your creators work without studio interference. I think it’s going to turn out fine but won’t have the cultural impact the original trilogy had, it’ll devolve into a series of popcorn movies designed to draw crowds based on nostalgia.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

Well crap, what happened to the post I made last night? I saw that it got posted but now it’s gone.

Well, I’m not going to type that again. I’ll just say that the hairs on the back of my neck stood up briefly when I saw the trailer. They went down again when I remembered I felt the same excitement when I saw the first trailer for “The Phantom Menace” on my PC at work (after taking forever to download) years ago and how disappointed I was with the final product (weren’t we all?).

The cynic in me expects to be disappointed merely because we all have higher standards as we age. The original trilogy filled me with a sense of wonder the prequels failed to rekindle. I’m skeptical the third trilogy will make me feel like the original trilogy. I’m just hoping to get just a little inspired and it doesn’t fail me like the prequel trilogy did.

Flack
    Participant

Well, I’ll one up ya — I’m hoping the new trilogy does for my kids what the original trilogy did for me — because the last trilogy (the prequels) sure as hell didn’t. I can’t even get my kids to sit through them, much less understand them. (“Uh, there’s a trade embargo, and the senate is, uh… hell if I know.”)

I was born in ’73. Star Wars came out in ’77 before I turned four. I have memories of seeing it in the theater. Return of the Jedi came out in 1983. I had about half of the ROTJ toy line, which tells me that my interest in all things Star Wars began waning sometime in 1984 (I didn’t own any of the things released in ’85). That would have made me 12-13. Mason is 12 and Morgan is 9; I’m hoping these new movies are more than just nostalgia trips and do something to attract the next generation of fans.

Damn, that’s a good idea for a blog post. Be right back. 🙂

And here’s the last one before showtime.

I love this. Here’s why.

I know everyone’s very comfortable with the continuity of the books, etc. post-Jedi: basically, the Republic comes back, and so do the Jedi, and naturally Luke’s very busy training them all.

And here’s what has always, always bugged me about that: it’s too easy. One battle doesn’t win the war. Endor was an isolated hidey-hole where the Emperor was building Death Star 2. It wasn’t Normandy; it was a backwater. The rest of the Empire had its own campaign going that didn’t, and couldn’t, ride entirely on the second Death Star – because they weren’t aware it was there! “Vader and the Emperor died where, doing what!?” had to be a common question after Endor…but it didn’t end the war.

Also, the books’ easy “reset the Republic” setup completely ignores the first movie’s contention that the Jedi, just 19 years after their fall, have passed into legend. Tarkin doesn’t buy into Vader’s “sorcerers’ ways”. Han doesn’t buy into Obi-Wan’s “hokey religion”. The Jedi are practically leprechauns riding unicorns into battle: the stuff of stories, but no one has actually seen one in two decades.

Even longer, it would seem, by the time Finn and Rey start their adventure. By that point, it’s 50+ years since anyone has seen Jedi in action. There’s only one Jedi out there; chances are he didn’t do many ticker-tape parades after Endor. All that’s left is just rumor.

That, to me, makes so much more sense than practically putting up a sign that says “JEDI TRYOUTS TODAY! 3:00! BRING YOUR OWN LIGHTSABER OR DON’T BOTHER!”

And holy crap, if John Williams isn’t the best movie composer in the world… at least one more time.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I have to wonder how they’re recruiting potential Force users to become Jedi. Considering that Luke never really had adequate training himself. I thought that people who could utilize the Force were just randomly born throughout the population, and the Jedi Order always kept their eyes open for babies or children that they could sense had control of the Force. Now there’s a bunch of people out there, for maybe 50 years, that have been Force users without any understanding of it. That sounds like it could become chaotic. You’d think that the Sith would be bringing them over to their side while the Emperor was around, since the Sith don’t need to hide anymore. Which would mean a lot more Dark Side users to take Palpatine and Vader’s places once they were dead.

All this speculation is an example of how the Star Wars Distended Universe became such a fustercluck.

They’d run magazine ads. No, seriously.

POTENTIAL FORCE USER?
    Draw Snappy the Turtle!…without laying a finger on your pencil.

Did you complete the picture by using the Force?
    Call 1-800-DA-FORCE today!
    Ask for Extension 8, Master Windu.

If you recall, though, the Psi Corps in Babylon 5 operated much the same way as the Jedi. The existing telepaths would sense the latent telepaths in their youth, and the Psi Corps would basically remove the latent telepath children from their homes. And by all accounts, the Jedi operated more or less the same way: in Episode I, it’s clearly stated that, had Anakin been born on a Republic planet, he would have been “identified” by the Jedi much earlier and they would have taken him to begin his training.

Disquieting, no?

Someone responding to a friend’s Facebook post complained that, after three trailers, we still have no idea what the movie is about. Then I saw others making the same complaint. I did this for them.

😆

ZLoth
    ZLoth

I’ll wait until the fan reactions come in. No amount of great effects offsets the bad storytelling. I’m looking at you, I, II, III, and a little bit of IV.

“We’ve never lost an American in space, we’re sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.” – Gene Kranz

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

@zloth wrote:

…and a little bit of IV.

Take that back! Them’s FIGHTING words! IV was perfect!

I’m not holding my breath for the new movie yet (/me makes Darth Vader breathing sounds). I remember when the first previews of Phantom Menace came out and I was so excited about it. First was the long download time I had to endure and then it wouldn’t play right on my desktop. I had to download it at least one more time before I could get it to work. Long story short: big effort to finally see the thing. Once it played the hairs on the back of my neck went straight up and I got the same tingly feeling I got when I first watched Star Wars when I was 17.

Then I saw the movie. Bleh. Then the second movie came out. Double bleh. The third movie? Nooooooo!

As a result I didn’t rush to buy tickets for the newest Star Wars movie. I don’t care if I have to wait until New Years to see it. Crowded theaters make me uncomfortable anyway.

I haven’t paid attention to the books or anything else, for that matter. If it ain’t a theater movie release, it ain’t canon. TV show? NOT CANON! Poorly rendered animation on TV? Definitely not canon! Cutesy Ewok adventures? NOT CANON! Books? If it wasn’t novelizations of the movies, it ain’t canon! OK, the radio dramas can be canon. They are based off the original scripts and the novelizations anyway.

By the way, here is an opportunity for me to relay a story a friend told me years ago:

Back in the good old 1980s this friend of mine flew to or from LAX and met a guy who claimed to know a lot of inside info about Star Wars. He claimed that Lucas had three trilogies dreamed up. We already know about the first two trilogies but this guy claimed he knew what, roughly, Lucas planned for the third trilogy. The upshot is it’s many years later and it involves a planet that appears to be the source of the Dark force. Or, at least, it has a lot of Dark force in it and it’s of bad guys like the Sith lords come from (or go to to become Sith lords). It’s where they go to be bad guys, I guess. Anyway Luke is trapped there and Han or someone (maybe his son) has to rescue him. The planet also poses a major threat to the rest of the galaxy, or something like that. It’s been a while since I heard the story.

If any of this sounds familiar, let me know. As I said, I haven’t read any of the books (except the Alan Dean Foster novelizations) and so it’s possible I just mentioned the plot line of one of the books.

Ticket purchased. I’m going opening night.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I won’t be seeing it right away. Mainly because I’ll be out of town for Christmas, visiting my sister’s family. The thing is, there was an article over at io9.com that has a list of the theaters showing the highest quality versions of the movie, and one’s in my neck of the woods, the Omni Theater at the Fort Worth Museum of Science & History. It’s basically the only IMAX theater I’ve ever been to, and that was way back when there were only a handful of IMAX theaters in the nation. I haven’t been there since I was a teenager. It’ll be cool to go there again. And maybe I can stop at Barcadia in Fort Worth afterwards.

ubikuberalles
    ubikuberalles

I’ll be seeing it Friday morning at a special event sponsored by one of our vendors. So, free movie and free food and drink. But first I’ll have to listen to a sales pitch and they are bound to have some kind of Q&A session. Small price, I figure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed