Star Trek: The Next… ??

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Star Trek: The Next… ??

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve W Steve W 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

It’s your turn to be Roddenberry.

Or maybe it’s your turn to be… Bermaga (Berman + Braga).

Seriously: if someone handed you the keys to the next TV iteration of Star Trek… what would you do with them?

ZLoth
    ZLoth

Make sure I have a solid order for 26 episodes. Make sure there is a security guard in front of the writing office to make sure the suits don’t get to the writers. Then, make sure that the writers understand that the effects add on to the story, and not the story.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

And no technobabble. If you can’t write a decent script, don’t try to hide it by throwing in a bunch of sciencey sounding jibberish to pave over the plot holes.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Here’s something Paramount can do for the next Star Trek series. Make it animated. We’re not talking about the terrible ’70s Filmation style of show, we’re talking about the new Tron series level of animation. It’ll keep the younglings interested in Star Trek from an early age, and (in all likelihood) they’d have the new movie reboot to work from, and hopefully access to the actors for voices. And Star Trek would be back on television making Paramount money without having to deal with rebuilding or reacquiring sets, props, and wardrobe for a live series. Just put it in the hands of a good showrunner and a good production staff that’ll take it in a different direction than the Brannon/Braga era. Hell, let J. Michael Straczynski (had to look his name up on the main site just to spell it properly) take a whack at it. See if Peter David might be interested in the job.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

I came across this recently… Star Trek: Final Frontier. It was going to be an animated series set 150 years ahead of The Next Generation. The sales pitch didn’t really work out, since they had decided to reboot the Trek universe and toss everything else by the wayside.

http://www.startrekff.com

My problem is the dystopian future the creators came up with for the future of Trek. Is that all writers can come up with, just negativity in space? Yes, conflict propels the plot forward, but does there constantly need to be warfare? Or are they just terrible writers with little imagination?

And by the way, that’s the absolutely ugliest version of Enterprise ever created. Which is saying something, I’ve seen a lot of fan art for re-imaginings of Starfleet ships and maybe 10% are good. But this version is at the absolute bottom of the list. Seriously.

I’ve read the pitch for that show before and recognized it on sight: it’s Gene Roddenberry’s Andromeda, retooled as a Star Trek storyline, but without a lot of Andromeda’s charm (and it did have some charm). And here’s the thing: I’ve thought, over the years, that maybe something Andromeda-esque, a prevent-or-reverse-the-fall-of-the-Federation plotline would be an awesome thing, would be a great one-season storyline to kick off a new show. Final Frontier, however, just seemed…headed in the wrong direction.

And you’re right, that’s an ugly-ass ship.

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Do you remember the video capture animation system that Lucasfilm was creating years back that would render Star Wars scenes in real time? What if they could use the same technology to render an animated Star Trek series? Hire the actors to walk around in those goofy mo-cap tights, record their voices on-set so they don’t sound quite as soundbooth-y as regular cartoons, and that could save them a lot of money and production effort. They don’t have to do photo-realistic animation, something more realistic than Star Wars: Rebels would be fine but it doesn’t have to be Polar Express level creepy realistic.

If that could go into production, I would want a new storyline to go along with it. Instead of 150 years ahead of TNG, go 60 instead. Have it be about the first transwarp capable starship, pressing forward into the galaxy to a degree that regular warp speed would take decades to reach. Essentially, Voyager but in reverse. And hopefully with characters with more charisma than anybody on Voyager ever had (except maybe Seven of Nine) and scripts that didn’t feel like they were written with a Star Trek version of Madlibs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed