Star Trek: Nickelodeon

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Star Trek: Nickelodeon

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Will it be as smart as the 1970s animated series sometimes was? [LINK]

Variety has learned that CBS Television Studios and Nickelodeon are negotiating for a new “Star Trek” animated series aimed at kids.

Plot details on the new series are being kept under wraps, but it hails from writers Kevin and Dan Hageman. The Hagemans are known for their work on animated shows such as “Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu” and “Trollhunters.” They also worked on the story for the films “Hotel Transylvania,” “The Lego Movie,” and “The Lego Ninjago Movie.” They are repped by WME and Underground Management.

Should the project move forward, it would mark the first new “Star Trek” TV project to debut outside of All Access with an eye for it to serve as a tent pole series at Nickelodeon. The series would mark a major get for new Nickelodeon president Brian Robbins, who was brought in in October to lead the kid-centric Viacom brand amid declining linear ratings and shifting viewing habits.

This is also the second animated “Star Trek” project to be announced. All Access gave a two-season order to the adult animated series “Star Trek: Lower Decks” in October, with that show being created by “Rick & Morty” writer Mike McMahan. It will focus on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships.

Here’s the thing: I watched Trollhunters with my oldest, and it was a pretty decent show. And of course the Lego Movie was decent too. They’ve got some pretty hip writers on this.

Will it be for everybody? Nah. At the exponential rate that they’re spinning things off, I’d say we’re probably each within two or three years of saying “Hey, that new Star Trek show? That’s not for me.” And… that’s okay. (Unless you’re some bloke running a website that’s expected to chronicle all of this stuff. Then it becomes something of a complicated relationship.)

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

Let’s see… there’s Discovery, there’s the Picard series, the Section 31 show, the Below Decks animated comedy, this new Nickelodeon show, the Starfleet Academy type show that’s been mentioned a few times, and possibly another spin-off of Discovery featuring Tig Notaro’s chief engineer character Jet Reno. And there’s one or two that have been mentioned in passing that I can’t recall at the moment. Man, they’re really leaning heavily on Star Trek, aren’t they? No Trek for years and now I’m afraid it’ll eventually cause burnout.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

My gut feeling is that the Nickelodeon show and Starfleet Academy are one and the same.

Also, while Tig Notaro is awesome in Discovery (I really kind of enjoyed her taking Stamets down a notch when they first met), I doubt very much that she’s on the show for more than just this season – she just doesn’t seem like someone who’s going to let herself be tied down to Star Trek all the time; her schedule will probably make sure she’ll be more of an occasional flavoring, like Whoopi Goldberg on TNG.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.