Star Trek: Lower Decks

Hailing frequencies open… Forums Science Fiction Star Trek Star Trek: Lower Decks

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Earl Earl 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Nope, not the format-busting 1994 TNG episode. The new animated series from Mike McMahan, who’s written for Rick & Morty and won Emmys. [LINK]

TAS

The streamer has given out an order for two seasons of a half-hour animated comedy series called “Star Trek: Lower Decks,” Variety has learned. Developed by “Rick and Morty” writer Mike McMahan, the series will focus on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships.

This will mark the first animated series on CBS All Access. It will be produced by CBS Eye Animation Productions, CBS Television Studios’ new animation arm, along with Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will executive produce along with Roddenberry Entertainment’s Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth and veteran animation executive Katie Krentz. McMahan will also executive produce in addition to writing. Aaron Baiers, who brought McMahan to the project, will serve as a co-executive producer.

“Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: ‘I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end,’” Kurtzman said. “His cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every ‘Trek’ episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. As we broaden the world of ‘Trek’ to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice.”

In 2011 McMahan started a Twitter account where he posted episode plots to a fake season of “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” They were such a hit that Simon & Schuster hired him to write a readers’ guide to a fictitious eighth season of “TNG” titled “Star Trek: The Next Generation: Warped: An Engaging Guide to the Never-Aired 8th Season.”

This could be pretty good if they avoid the obvious. Face it, ever since the aforementioned TNG episode, this is an idea we’ve all thought about at one time or another. At one point the Phase II folks were going to do a whole series (though one imagines more dramatic in tone).

Steve W
    Steve W
    Participant

What episode of TNG was that? I don’t remember an animated episode. Don’t remember much about TNG in the first place. So many “broken holodeck” episodes tends to erode the memory.

Wasn’t there a web comic that was similar in tone to this? It was about a ship’s captain who lucked into the position rather than earning it, in command of a very low-ranked vessel in Starfleet and staffed by people much better at their jobs than him (and who probably thought their careers were being held back because of his incompetence). I remember he was really jealous of all the attention and accolades that Capt. Kirk kept getting.

If they can capture the tone of a Galaxyquest-style show with well written jokes and stories, then I’ll be happy to watch it. The fact is, most animated sci-fi comedy dies a quick death because it’s not enough of one or the other. I want to hold out hope, but a wacky animated comedy set in the Star Trek universe? That’s not a premise that really gives you confidence.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I’m not sure what I think of this. It seems like they saw the success of The Orville and decided to give that route a shot. I will certainly watch it with interest.

By the way, very nice job on the lightning round recently.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

That was actually the third time they’ve tried to get me to do the lightning round. Too much pressure. 😆 Good zinger of a question from Ken though. Not sure I had a good zinger answer.

k8track
    k8track
    Participant

I sent Ken and John a nice long email. I actually name-dropped you in it, in the hopes that it might pique their interest a little. I hope that’s OK! You can feel free to name-drop me any time you like.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Apparently this show has been cast and they’ve had the table read of the first episode. [LINK]

This morning Mike McMahan took to Twitter to reveal that the first table read for the first episode of the show is today. He also showed a picture of an empty room, indicating he got there early.

A table read is when cast and crew get together to read the script as the episode is in pre-production. This is a significant milestone for Star Trek: Lower Decks and indicates that the premise for the show has been locked down and at least the first script has been written. More significantly, it implies that the show has been cast with voice actors. To date, there have been no announcements or revelations about a cast for the show, but that’s fairly typical for an animated series.

While the first script reading is a big step, there is still a ways to go before episodes can be completed. Typically for animated shows and movies, the voice work is recorded before the animation process begins. In March, executive producer Alex Kurtzman talked to TrekMovie about Lower Decks (and the more kid-oriented Nickelodeon animated Trek series), setting expectations:

So, the animation takes about a year to turn around, it’s a very long process. Both of those shows are moving forward now, and have series orders and we will drop them when they are ready, but I would say 2021 or ’22.

As of now, there are few details known about the show except that it will be a half-hour comedy focused on the support crew serving on “one of Starfleet’s least important ships.”

Hopefully they’ve remembered to write an episode about the two guys peeling potatoes down in the galley.

Earl
    Earl
    Keymaster

Lower Decks

Lower Decks

Lower Decks

Lower Decks

Lower Decks

Lower Decks

Lower Decks

The show is set after Voyager and Nemesis; no idea where it is in relation to Picard. Jerry O’Connell’s character is described as “a California Riker”. Tawny Newsome will also be hosting CBS’ next attempt to launch “the official Star Trek podcast” later this fall.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.